2014 British GP - Silverstone

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
F1NAC

Re: 2014 British GP - Silverstone

thevlack wrote:
iotar__ wrote: Assumptions are more than assumptions and are based on facts: starting with 5 years in one team/Red Bull against Ricciardo's - 0 years.
Brand new car and brand new technology = No advantage for any of them.
True, +1[/quote]
Still this is Vettel's 8th year in f1 more experienced than RIC

SectorOne

No experience with this formula though.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Waywardism
Waywardism

Isn't it about time for people to admit that Vettel just isn't as good as his 4 consecutive WDCs would suggest?

I don't buy into this whole notion that he STILL has to be given more time to adjust to the current formula to really judge. I mean how long is reasonable to give someone who is supposed to be one of the very best drivers in the world to adapt to a car? I might be being a bit harsh but I'd say 4-5 laps, maybe stretch that to 40-50 laps if we're talking about extracting the maximum out of the car. He's had thousands of km with the car now, done hundreds of laps. I'm sorry but if I'm running a racing team and it takes you the best part of a season to get used to a car then I'd be looking at other drivers.

thevlack
thevlack

Waywardism wrote:Isn't it about time for people to admit that Vettel just isn't as good as his 4 consecutive WDCs would suggest?

I don't buy into this whole notion that he STILL has to be given more time to adjust to the current formula to really judge. I mean how long is reasonable to give someone who is supposed to be one of the very best drivers in the world to adapt to a car? I might be being a bit harsh but I'd say 4-5 laps, maybe stretch that to 40-50 laps if we're talking about extracting the maximum out of the car. He's had thousands of km with the car now, done hundreds of laps. I'm sorry but if I'm running a racing team and it takes you the best part of a season to get used to a car then I'd be looking at other drivers.
I think that the reason VET is not performing better this season is due to a few things rather than just RIC being faster.

+ He is a father now, so you need time to adapt your feelings to your profession. (It carries some risks)
+ He started badly. Its hard to get yourself to push when you see that all is going backwards.
+ RIC is not bad
+ Bad Luck

So I think you cant just just erase everything he have done just because of this.

slimfitcasual

Waywardism wrote:Isn't it about time for people to admit that Vettel just isn't as good as his 4 consecutive WDCs would suggest?
Possibly. I do think he's talented, but his head is just NOT in the game.
Per ardua ad astra

Webber2011
Webber2011

I'm starting to think along these lines as well.

Seb had 16 laps more in FP2, and despite Daniel saying he couldn't get heat into the front tyres he's still ahead by a tenth.
The excuse that he still needs time to adapt is a little tired now.

One thing I've heard mentioned time and time again is that Sebastian would often struggle to set the car up, so would steal, (for want of a better word), Webber's.
If that is true, is it possible that Daniel's preferred set up just doesn't suit Vettel ?
Could this be contributing to his struggles, or too far fetched ?

George-Jung
George-Jung

Webber2011 wrote:
One thing I've heard mentioned time and time again is that Sebastian would often struggle to set the car up, so would steal, (for want of a better word), Webber's.
If that is true, is it possible that Daniel's preferred set up just doesn't suit Vettel ?
Could this be contributing to his struggles, or too far fetched ?
Same thing has been said of Hamilton, that he couldn't setup his car in 2007 and used Alonso's setups..
One of the things that pissed Alonso off..

We could argue again about Hamilton using Rosberg's setup this year, due tot the fact that Rosberg has mentioned that they are transparent to each other, but that if he noticed that he has an advantage somewhere on the track, that he keeps it to himself...

I am not a Vettel fan at all, but clearly the guy hasn't lost his driving craft.. Last year he was praised for example that before he enters a corner, he is already looking at the next one... And that nobody else was doing that, you could see it to the position of the helmets..

F1NAC

George-Jung wrote: I am not a Vettel fan at all, but clearly the guy hasn't lost his driving craft.. Last year he was praised for example that before he enters a corner, he is already looking at the next one... And that nobody else was doing that, you could see it to the position of the helmets..
Yes but also Hamilton said in 2011 that he was doing maximum in Q to came close to Vettel and couldn't believe how much advantage Vettel had. And then he saw replays and what he saw is that Vettel missed a lot of apexes and still RB7 put him that far ahead

And he could look we can say alredy in next corner because he didn't have to fight with the car as he was gliding around the track

Waywardism
Waywardism

thevlack wrote:

I think that the reason VET is not performing better this season is due to a few things rather than just RIC being faster.

+ He is a father now, so you need time to adapt your feelings to your profession. (It carries some risks)
+ He started badly. Its hard to get yourself to push when you see that all is going backwards.
+ RIC is not bad
+ Bad Luck

So I think you cant just just erase everything he have done just because of this.
I don't buy the father argument, an F1 cockpit is a very safe place to be nowadays.
Not sure if he's really pushing or not, it looks like he is out on track but only he knows what's really going on in his head.
Yes he's had a lot of bad luck this year, Ric's had quite a bit too, when things are running smoothly for both then Ric is getting the better of him both in qualy and race.

I wouldn't erase what he has done. He took full advantage of the best package out there and he was phenomenally consistent with it, fair play to him, he's certainly a cut above the average F1 driver. But he needs certain conditions to be great, a really great driver will shine in any car.

Juzh

how's the weather looking for Q?

gerishnikov
gerishnikov

I live aprox 6-7 miles from the circuit and its grey skies and light rain atm.

matt_b
matt_b

light rain at the moment, plenty of clouds around, should be fun

SectorOne

George-Jung wrote:We could argue again about Hamilton using Rosberg's setup this year,
Just like Malaysia you mean? Funnily enough after that Rosberg started being competitive.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Pilatus

Light drizzle.

With new PUs and rear BBW, this will be very tricky. :twisted:

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Good job Williams and ferrari