2014 British GP - Silverstone

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Kingshark
Kingshark

Re: 2014 British GP - Silverstone

raymondu999 wrote:Why Bahrain an Barcelona? I was actually thinking that considering the number of corners in Silverstone - and especially "new" corners - T1, 2 and 5 for example are now no longer flat out - that could really play to Red Bull's hand. If Red Bull really do have superior downforce as some people say they do, they could have a shot at pole or the win. Even more so if wet.
Sorry for the late response.

I see no reason to believe why Red Bull should have more downforce than Mercedes. Merc was a full second/lap faster than RBR in Barcelona, which is the epitome of downforce circuits and does not really punish less engine power. For instance, Alonso was able to challenge Schumacher there in 2003 despite the Renault having 60 to 70 less horsepower than the Ferrari engine.

Also - in the wet - mechanical grip is more important than downforce tbh.

SectorOne

Kingshark wrote:in the wet - mechanical grip is more important than downforce tbh.
Depends on the track. In Monaco, sure. In SPA? Downforce is king.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

SamH123
SamH123

forecast is looking very unsettled for the Saturday
could well be wet

SectorOne

So far, subject to change of course.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

neilbah
neilbah

every year i go..the sun comes out just after the race, Makes me think they should run it an hour later in the afternoon. That said a mixed conditions race has its plus points throwing spanners in the works..

mikeerfol

beelsebob
beelsebob

Do we have any reports of upgrades to cars yet? This would normally be the teams' second big upgrade package circuit.

mikeerfol

beelsebob wrote:Do we have any reports of upgrades to cars yet? This would normally be the teams' second big upgrade package circuit.
Well McLaren are bringing another update package... Dunno about the others.

EDIT: Lotus as well, I read they will bring (amongst others) a new front wing and a new floor.

turbof1

It's merely an unfounded prediction, but Mercedes have be conservative with updates at the lower downforce circuits, suggesting they rather want to use the time to bring. Updates to more mainstream circuits. I suspect them bringing quite a few things to Silverstone.

Most team will actually. It's practically next door to their UK factories.
#AeroFrodo

simieski
simieski

If anyone is in the neighbourhood, tickets are still on sale for the test at Silverstone next week. £25 per day, or £40 for both, pit lane walk is additional £10 each day. Perfect opportunity to use up some sick leave!

http://www.silverstone.co.uk/events/f1-team-test/
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

SiLo

The weather over here is all over the place at the moment, showers, sun, clouds, more showers then more sun... I hope the weekend is like that because watching them drive in the wet with slicks on is always entertaining.
Felipe Baby!

gray41

Wet weather on Saturday could make it interesting between the Mercedes and RedBull cars, been a lot closer in previous events when its rained.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

SiLo

yeah, but if there is a good amount of dry running the bulls will be sitting ducks.
Felipe Baby!

beelsebob
beelsebob

I hope it's not changeable. Changeable means that whoever wins the pit stop lottery wins the race. That said, I wouldn't mind fully wet.

raymondu999

beelsebob wrote:I hope it's not changeable. Changeable means that whoever wins the pit stop lottery wins the race. That said, I wouldn't mind fully wet.
Yes. I miss the races where slicks don't make any appearance.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法