2014 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SectorOne

Re: 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring

Andres125sx wrote:Hamilton chose the first, and Rosberg the second. I don´t see anything weird there

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/07/27/2 ... pit-stops/
Waywardism wrote:Hamilton had 31 to do when he pitted for mediums.

Code: Select all

Stint 1	        Stint 2	    Stint 3
Lewis Hamilton	Intermediate (8)	Soft (31)     Medium (31)
I think he definitely could have done 31 laps on Softs. Doing the same tire management he did with Mediums.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

ringo

Waywardism wrote:
SectorOne wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:That´s not what DeLaRosa said, one second slower but they last much longer
Who made the longest stint and with what compound?
It doesn't matter what the reality is because we only know that with hindsight. You're questioning why Mercedes put Hamilton on primes so all that matters is what Mercedes believed at the time and what the current situation was.

We know Rosberg had 38 laps to do when he pitted for softs and Hamilton had 31 to do when he pitted for mediums. We also know from the radio messages we heard during the race that they intended for Rosberg to pit again and for Hamilton to go to the end. .
We can't look at it with two different lap numbers, 31 and 38. Remember as Rosberg pitted, they could have brought in Hamilton right after to try undercut. But because rosberg had a slow lap and would have been surely passed, they kept hamilton out. Luckily Vettel spun in front of him and he started to run away for a few laps. But i believe both could have been on softs and on the same number of laps. I couldn't understand why they suggested to Lewis to keep on circulating.
We can only assume that they thought the mediums would do 31 laps quicker than using softs and pitting again
What if we think back to when nico pitted, and both had 38 laps to go, what do you suggest would be their thoughts at the time?
For Sure!!

Kingshark
Kingshark

Alonso... what a legend. Man will I miss him when he's gone.

NathanOlder

Kingshark wrote:Alonso... what a legend. Man will I miss him when he's gone.
Not as much as Ferrari will
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

prince
prince

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115181

This is what Lauda and Toto have said after the race. They both agree that Nico didn't had the pace.

Waywardism
Waywardism

ringo wrote:
We can only assume that they thought the mediums would do 31 laps quicker than using softs and pitting again
What if we think back to when nico pitted, and both had 38 laps to go, what do you suggest would be their thoughts at the time?
Well before Rosberg's stop I was of the mind that Hamilton had more pace than the 3 guys infront of him... Vergne, Rosberg and Vettel. Rosberg seemed to be lacking pace then for some reason, unable to even challenge Vergne let alone get past, and Vettel was picking up DRS from Rosberg.

So my initial thoughts were that with Rosberg not giving Vettel DRS, Hamilton would have a better chance of getting past him. Then of course Vettel spun and Hamilton immediately picked up the pace, closing down and passing Vergne very quickly. I would definitely have kept him out while he still had good pace in those tyres.

I guess they were thinking the same.

EDIT: infact they initially told him to box a lap or 2 earlier than he did, but he responded that he felt he still had a couple of laps in the tyres so they said ok go with it.

ringo

Yes but it would still mean that he would have been able to go on softs. Sometimes i feeel when they ask questions, they do it to divert lewis from the better strategy. After rosberg pitted Lewis should have came in with 2 laps at most.
But then they ask him a strange question, i don't have it now, but the way the question was asked he simply answered ok i can go for a few more laps. Surely they should have been more definitive and say lewis come in, rosberg had a slow stop.
Bam put on softs, do 2 stints and there you have it, an easy win from pit lane to checkered flag.

Someone need to ask toto why both cars weren't on the same strategy like mercedes said they would be if both are in the same race. Medium tyres just seems very odd, especially considering the advantage of track position even if those tyres wore out.
For Sure!!

zeph
zeph

You know what, just for the heck of it, next race I wanna see Hamilton start from pole and Rosberg from P22 or the pitlane. Just to see what would happen.

langwadt
langwadt

Andres125sx wrote:
SectorOne wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:Does that mean anything?
Yes if the Top 5 longest stints was on Soft then it´s safe to say Mediums never gave any indication of being the best long run tire.
Anycase the indications come from FP1, FP2 and FP3, that´s the reason Dela Rosa said that, they knew they last longer
I'm not sure the data from the FPs mean much after the tracked had be washed clean and had rubber from the inters on it

Waywardism
Waywardism

ringo wrote:Yes but it would still mean that he would have been able to go on softs. Sometimes i feeel when they ask questions, they do it to divert lewis from the better strategy. After rosberg pitted Lewis should have came in with 2 laps at most.
But then they ask him a strange question, i don't have it now, but the way the question was asked he simply answered ok i can go for a few more laps. Surely they should have been more definitive and say lewis come in, rosberg had a slow stop.
Bam put on softs, do 2 stints and there you have it, an easy win from pit lane to checkered flag.
Rosberg's stop was only slow because they were removing tape from the brake ducts, something they were going to do with Hamilton too. After Hamilton had cleared Vergne, him and Ricciardo were the fastest guys on track by around a second a lap. It makes no sense to pit him with that pace.
Someone need to ask toto why both cars weren't on the same strategy like mercedes said they would be if both are in the same race. Medium tyres just seems very odd, especially considering the advantage of track position even if those tyres wore out.
This I agree with. Softs were absolutely the right call to make, they've been quoted as being worth anything from 1s to 1.5s all weekend. That's 31s - 46.5s over a 31 lap stint, easily enough for a pitstop. They obviously didn't think of that at the time.

rayden
rayden

zeph wrote:You know what, just for the heck of it, next race I wanna see Hamilton start from pole and Rosberg from P22 or the pitlane. Just to see what would happen.
Probably a Merc 1-2. You know it's true.

alexx_88
alexx_88

I know most of you are based in the UK, so naturally Hamilton is a big talking point, but I can't believe that Alonso's laps in damp conditions have received so little credit. In any case, epic drive from him and driver of the day for me.

sknguy
sknguy

alexx_88 wrote:I know most of you are based in the UK, so naturally Hamilton is a big talking point, but I can't believe that Alonso's laps in damp conditions have received so little credit. In any case, epic drive from him and driver of the day for me.
Some drivers rise to the occasion in adverse conditions, and those on the podium all deserved to be there. And I agree... Alonso drove flawlessly. So did Kimi though. Both Ferrari drivers got the most they could from their cars.

SectorOne

I think most people have ran out of superlatives when it comes to Alonso :)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Kiril Varbanov

SectorOne wrote:I think most people have ran out of superlatives when it comes to Alonso :)
Great drive by most of the lads, what a thriller. You can cast your vote for the driver of the day now - http://www.f1technical.net/poll/index.php?dispid=281