2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
GoranF1
GoranF1

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Writinglife wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 18:57
Forget that, what are the winning lottery numbers this week?
17. 10. 36. 41. 2.

11. 7
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

godlameroso

GoranF1 wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 18:55
GoranF1 wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 20:37
From this day on, things will start to improve, tomorrow will be a good day PU will show reliability and improved performance.
How did you know this, can you see the future?
Did you get a little help from your friends
Saishū kōnā

GoranF1
GoranF1

godlameroso wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 19:20
GoranF1 wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 18:55
GoranF1 wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 20:37
From this day on, things will start to improve, tomorrow will be a good day PU will show reliability and improved performance.
How did you know this, can you see the future?
Did you get a little help from your friends
8)
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

ispano6

Eric Boullier quoted as saying :
"We changed the engine and did 17 laps yesterday, but we couldn't find anything wrong physically on the car, so I think it's going to be complicated for Honda to understand what's wrong"
"It's maybe coming from a batch problem, maybe some anomalies are car related… there is no common cause."

It will be difficult for Honda to understand what's wrong with McLaren's car with only an engine test bench no doubt, so hopefully McLaren can help figure out what is "dynamically" wrong with the package when paired with the PU. Very curious to know what Honda's temporary fix was and what other "car related" issues contribute to their troubles. It seems other teams also have had issues with their flex chassis, gearbox, and ERS systems. The flex chassis poses a number of challenges while under dynamic load where even on scale prototypes I've worked on have engine and gearbox twist and separate from each other.

JonoNic

Based on today's successful testing. Honda should redo this old ad... :lol:

Always find the gap then use it.

FW17

Car would look a lot better with the white patch removed and Mclaren logo added on the sidepod

godlameroso

When did they get GSK sponsorship?
Saishū kōnā

Enstone
Enstone

Soichiro wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 17:00
davidfroshanzen wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 16:51
1:32:108... nothing better than qualification last week=nothing better performance from new part?
On softs.... and it's testing. Whatever Vandoorn does take 0.5s off for Alonso :lol:
Sounds impressive IMO, we'll maybe have a good surprise when the PU will be fully operationnal/reliable !

JuanjoTS
JuanjoTS

Is there any lap-to-turn report for each team with the number of laps for each round? Having only the fastest time is not enough information to be able to evaluate. As some opinations could be that they would have settled the fight by the positions 6 to 10, so much in career as in Q.

ToroRosso also seems to have taken a step forward and RedBull were very hidden ....

Could we dream of an open fight between McHonda, Williams and ToroRosso near RedBull? With so little information it is difficult to make an evaluation.

The only mathematical comparison I have found is that everyone has had their fastest lap in the test between 2.5s and 1.8s slower than their best lap in Q

https://goo.gl/photos/ABeGvpCtdiT9vRTz8

https://goo.gl/photos/EKGZB5x7ZLGbU8jS6

I do not understand why the FIA ​​or the F1 app does not offer all the information to the general public, the only danger for the teams are the teams themselves, which are sure to monitor their rivals .... if they want to make F1 more attractive Should provide such information.
Last edited by JuanjoTS on 19 Apr 2017, 23:14, edited 2 times in total.

HPD

Seems to be confirmed, with soft tires.. :wink:
Amus: When the technique is playing, the orange car seems to be a fast one. With soft Stoffel Vandoorne tires curved in 1: 32,108 minutes to the Web. It lacked the Belgians 0.828 seconds in the fastest time.
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 11795.html

willmesquita

godlameroso wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 21:16
When did they get GSK sponsorship?
GSK is an old partner of McLaren Applied Systems, at Vodafone era we used to have Maximuscle or Lucozade (GSK products).
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

max_speed wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 14:13
... hasegawa comments at end of today will for sure say. i do not know what happened , we are still investigating what caused this much consistent running...
You're not that far off, it's EB:
McLaren can't explain "best day" of 2017
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... 17-895912/

diffuser

Jef Patat wrote:
20 Apr 2017, 09:50
max_speed wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 14:13
... hasegawa comments at end of today will for sure say. i do not know what happened , we are still investigating what caused this much consistent running...
You're not that far off, it's EB:
McLaren can't explain "best day" of 2017
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... 17-895912/
Hasegawa, was back in Japan yesterday so he didn't have anything to do with that comment.

He did say on Sunday that they will need to take it apart before they can figure it out. It would be till late in the week b4 they know.

There is a disconnect on what's being said by EB and Honda though

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... -test.html

Honda explained that the improved final day showing was the result of ‘concerted efforts’ to rapidly analyse the MGU-H issues that dogged McLaren over the Bahrain Grand Prix weekend.

“Based on this analysis, we implemented provisional countermeasures against the issue on our PU [power unit] and we think we were able to confirm the direction of our solution with today’s running,” explained Honda’s Satoshi Nakamura.

“We also made some progress today with the set-up of our PU in order to acquire better driveability and reduce the vibration.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

max_speed wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 15:26
taperoo2k wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 14:35
max_speed wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 14:18

you seriously gotta be kidding mate.. fresh engine with upgrades sees same fate as old spec. what are they testing on bench. looks like some novice engineers working on upgrades without any test plan in place
ERS (MGU-H most likely) problems again by the looks of it, so I don't think you can really blame the new engine spec for this one. It's a water leak, so guess they have no choice but to replace the entire PU.
my point is what kind of testing they are doing in sakura before shipping the unit. i think honda must be axed with immediate effect.
Other than blasting hot air and sand in a pressurised environment at the MGU-H at Sakura to simulate Bahrain's climate, probably not a lot to be done to discover the MGU-H problems beforehand (could just be a track specific problem). McLaren look like they are going to see the contract with Honda through to the bitter end, unless a better option opens up before then. Which might not appear until the next set of engine regulations are approved.

JuanjoTS
JuanjoTS

speculation; Cylinders / double-acting pistons, 1.6cc = 3.2cc - space occupied by pistons 2.4cc. Would be to have only in the ICE about 1000cv of power ... what do you think?
Could work as a v12, using double explosion and make a V6 with more capacity of 1.6cc .... calculated brutally as if it were a V6 of 2.4cc...

It is true that due to the regulation arise many technical problems, to list the most obvious, should be admission and exhaust sharing for the two sides of the double-acting piston, use a spark plug for 2 cylinders, for example, getting bifurcated the head of the Spark plug and make a cable / system that extends the spark plug head to twinned cylinders that would not be "top / bottom" of each cylinder, eg cylinder 1 top should be connected with cylinder 6 bottom ...
It would not be easy to adapt it to F1 regulation ... but, is it impossible or possible?