Mikey's 2012 F1 concept

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
MIKEY_!

Mikey's 2012 F1 concept

After many weeks of procrastination I've finally finished the preseason spec of my F1 model. I've gone a bit aggressive on this one (but then everyone says that these days) and I'm open to any criticism (as long as you've got a good reason :lol: ) or further ideas. I'll post some pics tomorrow and start explaining what I've come up with. Hope you like it. :D

MIKEY_!

Re: Mikey's 2012 F1 concept

Ok here it is...

(the flap shape is something I picked up from ringo a while back, thx for that one mate)

Ok the nose itself is based entirely around a mclaren style under-nose splitter to get as much air as possible to either side of the nose and around the car. The bulge on the top of the nose is also there so split air to either side (cause a proper splitter here is illegal).
The sidepods are quite high and bulky at the front (I decided to move as many components to the front of the sidepod as possible to free up space at the back).
The airbox is an interesting one. I'm not sure if this is legal but I discussed it in another thread and no-one said it would be banned. This basically is another version of the roll blade but with a tall skinny inlet and much of the roll structure itself exposed.
Don't worry those are not exhaust pipes along the rear floor, they are exits for the radiators, not sure it would work very well (certainly worse than an EBD) but it should give some sealing I'd have thought.
BTW those notches on the front wing (lowest plane) are intakes for the FW F-duct system.
More to come later including better pics of the rear end. :D

raymondu999

Wow... a literal "model!"

How do your front wings look? It almost looks like you have double decker front wings.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

NonNewtonic

Mikey where is the exhaust exit?

raymondu999

Newtonic - trace the top of the sidepods to the back. There are two ( one on each sidepod) pipes to the back.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MIKEY_!

I'll post a pic of the FW with the cascade removed so you can have a better look.

jordangp

Well done Mikey, you've got some good concepts :) but surely that front wing isnt legal.The overall shape is out I think, and can I ask what your logic is for the front wing elements to only cover half the area allowed, but yet taking up most of the footplate space?

Looking forward to seeing it with the cascade removed, if that'll help :)

mx_tifoso

I see you've taken a more literal approach to the "flexi wing" concept! :)

Could you please post some underbody pics?

Good job btw!
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

allstaruk08

is there more going onto the front wing?

marcush.

the rollhoop can be more radical methinks -just a keel sticking up into the air and meeting the minimum dimension requirements of the regs .Starting the airbog opening aft the blade type roll hoop you can really shed a lot of cross section in that area and gain a lot of clean flow to the rear wing..maybe the airbox is a bit short but who said you need all the length?

MIKEY_!

The front wing flaps are set as far as possible outboard (mostly in front of the tires) to allow more air flow to reach the front of the floor and the rear of the car. With the reduced need for front DF (due to the expected drop in rear DF) the wing could either have less AoA along it's length or have the inner areas of the flaps removed as I have done.

MIKEY_!

Here's some more:

(cascade still attached)

One small (probably illegal) modification is the little flap behind the cascade. It attaches to the outer part of the footplate and will cause it to flex downward thus sealing the wing. I doing this it would probably move out of the maximum dimensions for the FW (although that could be solved if it's a problem). It also means the flap can't attach to this outer flexible section. The point of flex is the cut line on the footplate, it's hard to see in these photos but it's there. I need to think more about this as I envisage a big vortex occurring as the footplate separates. (Another version on the way)

mx_tifoso: I'd be wasting your time, the floor has no step or plank (it's to hard to build right now, I'm working on it) I can show you the diffuser if that helps. I've also got a similar system to the one on the FW footplate coming along. In theory a diffuser version might be possible as well.

marcush: think you could make a diagram of your idea, I'm not sure I quite understand.

raymondu999

Interesting. So you're choosing to basically use a half(ish) length frontal flap; so that you can feed more air into the diffuser... sounds very interesting to say the least.

Is the cascade actually like a "bridge?" Kind of like the 2010 Spa-spec McLaren cascade that Jenson used?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mx_tifoso

raymondu999 wrote:...

Is the cascade actually like a "bridge?" Kind of like the 2010 Spa-spec McLaren cascade that Jenson used?
The fact that you remember what type of wings someone used at a specific race is incredible. :)

Mikey, diffuser pics would be more than fine. I was just wondering how you did the entire car including what's not normally visible.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

raymondu999

Why thank you mx :mrgreen:

For reference, here was what I meant:

Hamilton

Button
失败者找理由,成功者找方法