Pirelli 2013

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
notApineapple
notApineapple

Re: Pirelli 2013

Cuky wrote:
lebesset wrote:you haven't been watching long then ...of current drivers , ask kimi for example
I don't know if you are referring to Nurburgring 2005, but in that case it was cars right front suspension that had faild, rather than tire

Whether it was the tyre or the suspension is a moot point. The massive flat spot on the tyre is why the reason for Kimi's failure in 2005. This wasn't due to a bad tyre design, but rather a retarded rule mandating 1 set of tyres for the complete race.

Cuky

notApineapple wrote:
Cuky wrote:
lebesset wrote:you haven't been watching long then ...of current drivers , ask kimi for example
I don't know if you are referring to Nurburgring 2005, but in that case it was cars right front suspension that had faild, rather than tire

Whether it was the tyre or the suspension is a moot point. The massive flat spot on the tyre is why the reason for Kimi's failure in 2005. This wasn't due to a bad tyre design, but rather a retarded rule mandating 1 set of tyres for the complete race.

But that is not at all same as with Perez yesterday. In Kimi's case in 2005. tire was still OK after the suspension had failed and was bouncing around held to the car by tether.

I just can't really remember (and I have started watching F1 in mid 1999.) any case of thread completely falling of the tire just one corner after it has been flat spotted. Do you remember Massa in Bahrain in 2006? He lost control coming into T1 and had flat spotted all four tires. Yet, he managed to drive a whole lap back to the pit lane and change tires.

notApineapple
notApineapple

Cuky wrote: I just can't really remember (and I have started watching F1 in mid 1999.) any case of thread completely falling of the tire just one corner after it has been flat spotted. Do you remember Massa in Bahrain in 2006? He lost control coming into T1 and had flat spotted all four tires. Yet, he managed to drive a whole lap back to the pit lane and change tires.
No I don't remember this either.

In fact I was gobsmacked that Hembrey even tried to use that as a justification. Wheel locking and the resulting flatspots are part of racing. If your tyres fail due to a flatspot, your tyres aren't fit for racing. Like you said, Kimi drove 30 laps on his flat spotted Michelins. Perez did what.. a lap?

MOWOG

Wheel locking and the resulting flatspots are part of racing. If your tyres fail due to a flatspot, your tyres aren't fit for racing. Like you said, Kimi drove 30 laps on his flat spotted Michelins. Perez did what.. a lap?
I agree completely. It strikes me as odd that this even has to be explained to people as it is so utterly obvious. ](*,)

IIRC, Perez's tire blew itself apart just a few corners after he locked up the right front tire.
This wasn't due to a bad tyre design, but rather a retarded rule mandating 1 set of tyres for the complete race.
Stupid rules are just so........STOOPID, ya know? :evil:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

raymondu999

Yeesh. You guys have short memories :P

Turkey 2007, Lewis Hamilton
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMi_A82Jq_w[/youtube]

The team got so worried that in Turkey 2008 Hamilton was the only(?) one to go on a planned 3-stopper.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

notApineapple
notApineapple

raymondu999 wrote:Yeesh. You guys have short memories :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMi_A82Jq_w

The team got so worried that in Turkey 2008 Hamilton was the only(?) one to go on a planned 3-stopper.
Whats that supposed to prove? Like I said, the occasional delam occurred during the tyre war (and even before during the Goodyear era). By occasional I mean 2-3 per year, not per race...

Find me a dozen more videos like that from the same year then we can talk...

Huntresa
Huntresa

notApineapple wrote:

Whats that supposed to prove? Like I said, the occasional delam occurred during the tyre war (and even before during the Goodyear era). By occasional I mean 2-3 per year, not per race...

This delam wasnt the same as the other ones tho so the delam in the video can be connected to this one, i guess thats what he means.

strad

Like you said, Kimi drove 30 laps on his flat spotted Michelins. Perez did what.. a lap?
There are flat spots and there are flat spots. When you literally wear through what could be called the tread all the way to the cord you are already separating the tire. It's layers and once you wear through the layers to the body of the tire, it's got very little choice but to come apart.
Look at the thermal lock up they showed. The tire is already on the verge of melting .
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

lebesset
lebesset

notApineapple wrote:

so even in the days when proper tyre tested was still carried out there were still failures ?
hardly a surprise what has happened under the current regime then , is it
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

munudeges
munudeges

Pirelli blaming a flat spot for that is absolute beyond amateur hour. Gitanes Blondes on another thread is right. IRL lunacy here we come.

aussiegman
aussiegman

munudeges wrote:Pirelli blaming a flat spot for that is absolute beyond amateur hour. Gitanes Blondes on another thread is right. IRL lunacy here we come.
+1

The flat spot was a result of there simply being no tread left on the tyre. The Pirelli's started out as a good thing to shake it up, now it is simply beyond a joke.
Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the back, or an Idiot from any direction

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

lebesset wrote:so even in the days when proper tyre tested was still carried out there were still failures ?
hardly a surprise what has happened under the current regime then , is it
There's nothing stopping Pirelli from doing lab / rig durability testing, no? As is done in other race series, in passenger cars, etc.

You don't track test to find failures.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Tim.Wright

A bit of sense from Checo.
"This is the first time we hear that from a lock-up the tyre can explode," he said. "Then, we hear that this is normal. I think this is not normal at all.

"I think we have seen a lot of lock ups. It is easy to lock up as well; it is a formula car, so it is quite normal that you can lock up.

"But what is not normal and we cannot get used to seeing is an explosion of the tyre with the tread coming out of the tyre. This is absolutely not acceptable from teams, from drivers. It is just not acceptable."
Exactly what I have been saying. Tyres failing due to a flat spot it not normal and unacceptable.
Not the engineer at Force India

turbof1

The delamination was worrying. Flatspotting a tyre should not have such consequences.

It also is getting irritating that Pirelli simply never is willing to take the blame for anything. We have heard these excuses all year long, going from invisible debris, to kerbstones which haven't changed in years to now flatspotting tyres. Next time they might tell us dirty air is cutting the tyres and teams aren't managing the airflow good enough.

Infact the only time they denied the blame and were right in that, was at Spa. There they actually proved it with pictures and debris.

That being said, the tyre did not exploded that violently as the delaminations earlier in the season. Infact, only a layer got pealed off, with the rest of the tyre staying more or less structural intact.
#AeroFrodo

Kiril Varbanov

Not taking any blame, ever, is a worrying pattern in psychology. I dare to quote:
Blaming others is a poor strategy. Not simply because everyone can see through it. Or because it's dishonest. Or because it destroys relationships. Or even because, while trying to preserve our self-esteem, it actually weakens it. There's a more essential reason why blame is a bad idea: Blame prevents learning.
The tire nominations til the rest of the year are known, no risks taken:
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 15074.html

I took the liberty to show in a graphical manner the tire compounds that have dominated the season:

or this way, if you prefer: