Jerez Testing, Sep. 2007

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FLC
FLC

Jerez Testing, Sep. 2007

Honda introduced the revised car. Surprise, surprise, look at the front wing.

mini696

They must have got hold of McLarens data.

whiplash

Any chance of getting more detailed pictures of the honda plz

FLC
FLC

whiplash

Thanks Bud

scarbs

ignoring the three element front wing and bridge flap, for me the most interesting thing is the change to larger rear mounted bargeboards. This is a major change for Honda and many other aerodynamicists believe is the key for a modern F1 car.

Scarbs

PS they've dropped the pod wings too

FLC
FLC

scarbs, do you know maybe what Ferrari is doing? They took off almost every aerodynamic feature from the front of the car:

No "knives", no front wheels rims, no camera monuntings, which by the way was just updated for Spa:
http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/ ... 3/473.html

m3_lover

I have been reading that Honda hindered SA during the Belgium GP by making them not put there Spa-spec wing on there car because they didn't want to be further em brassed that SA was beating Honda.

Question for Scarbs (since he would be closest to knowing this) Are these improvements concepts for the car for next year or are they going to be used for the last 3 races?
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

scarbs

Ferrari testing without the wheel fairings and cockpit fins, I guess they are either seeking more front Df or are just trying out comparitive set ups. When they tested at Silverstone Massa was constantly components like these.

As far as Honda running these parts in Fuki, I guess if they work they might as well, assumign they have enough mapping completed to run the pre race simulations. Both Japanse teams are expected to have major upgrades.

I noticed Williams are running their static front wheel fairings (as are toyota), their versions are quite flat and have the opening much lower down the wheel (nearer 7 oclock than Ferraris 8), plus a small opening at the top.....

RedBull arent giving up on the pod mounted mirrors, you'd have thought they have more important things to test considering their pace and reliability

mx_tifoso

Would the removal of so many '07 development parts be because Ferrari is testing '08 electronics for today (at least)? And they are focusing on finding the best setup with that in mind, so having aero elements from this year, with TC and other things as well, would have a different effect on what they are testing for. As the car behaves and performs in a different manner than this seasons setup allows.

:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/news/7098
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Carlos

I relate the effect of barge boards to strakes; smoothing and directing air flow. I still can't get over banning undertray tunnels and strakes. It should have been policed instead of banned. Allowing undertray developement would have fended off high nosed chassis with strange keels which have plagued suspension geometry and tire developement. Oh yes; and narrowing the track and tires. OT... yes I know; just a small rant. Thanks

waynes

that honda front wing is a sexy collection of carbon fibre

Carlos

Your right waynes - that wing is quite sexy - it reminded me to zip up my trousers before going outside this afternoon :wink:

waynes

Carlos wrote:Your right waynes - that wing is quite sexy - it reminded me to zip up my trousers before going outside this afternoon :wink:
a fellow deviant on the forum :D

zac510

Carlos, how do you know that the combination of tunnels and a high nose is not superior to just one or the other?