2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

diffuser wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 00:59
torpor wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 00:33
I also think that Johnnie Walker and Richard Mille might also have looked upon that artwork with a little curiosity
Do you mean with 'artwork' the livery they used for the Barcelona test or the picture they posted on twitter?
That exactly the point I was making with the Pirelli statement.

Nobody would have said anything about this had the we not had the mechanical issue we had at the tests/had reports about PU talks with Merc..
I agree to an extent and I respect your opinion. But the way I see it, you can't just remove the context or fail to see it. In my view, the same also applied to Mclaren when they posted. Let's also not forget that Mclaren are not shy of bashing Honda.

Regarding the sponsors, if they attach themselves to a car and pay good money, they will have every right to be perturbed if you are then perceived to rubbish that car. And I don't know how that artwork could have been published without any realisation of how it would fit in to the current politics playing out at Mclaren.

Relationships between sponsors current and potential is massive in F1, like relationships are in life. So Maybe I'll post a picture of my partner with my exes ass. The perfect blend of old and new!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :shock:

I'm sure she'll not take it out of context!

P.s. if you ever read this, yours is way better, it was just a metaphor... :roll:
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Singabule
Singabule

mwillems wrote:
19 Mar 2017, 22:48
diffuser wrote:
19 Mar 2017, 20:04
So are the "GoodYear" tires a dig at Pirelli ?
Honda may yet not be providing a decent engine, but they are providing massive funds and a top line driver.
Without them, I'm not sure Mclaren would have a chance of competing at the sharp end of the grid due to a lack of finances. Honda will give them a competitive engine at some point. As rubbish as this situation is, they could take penalties all season long to develop that engine. If, by the seasons end, they can show the car to be competitive (and that is more than possible), they will have no issues with their driver line up next year. And thanks to Honda, they can afford the best.
Money cant buy everything isn it (i.e. Merc qual setting)?

diffuser

@mwillems I didn't mean to give you the impression I thought the picture was a good Idea.

I dont.

I just don't think it was released with the intent to bash Honda.

I also dont get the impression that McLaren do alot of Honda bashing. They have been fairly reserved and have never approached the RBR on Renault levels.

Redragon

diffuser wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 03:27
@mwillems I didn't mean to give you the impression I thought the picture was a good Idea.

I dont.

I also dont get the impression that McLaren do alot of Honda bashing. They have been fairly reserved and have never approached the RBR on Renault levels.
The only reasonable thing to have done that montage is the welcoming of Hakkinnen back to Mclaren as representative. So it is a MP4-13 mixed with Mcl32 But with so many reports of Mclaren looking to other engines and maybe replacing Honda with Manor Mercedes engines available the tweet was not published in the right moment or the message wasn't clear.

GhostF1
GhostF1

Redragon wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 06:10
diffuser wrote:

I dont.

The only reasonable thing to have done that montage is the welcoming of Hakkinnen back to Mclaren as representative. So it is a MP4-13 mixed with Mcl32 But with so many reports of Mclaren looking to other engines and maybe replacing Honda with Manor Mercedes engines available the tweet was not published in the right moment or the message wasn't clear.
I agree. It wasn't Honda bashing at all. Just timed poorly with all the speculation from the media. Instead of hunting for a secret meaning, maybe everyone should take it for what it was.. an homage to a very long and successful relationship McLaren had with Mercedes, with a lot of world class drivers. The idea McLaren won't mention Mercedes' name again is stupid... it's part of their history..

GhostF1
GhostF1

On another note, it looks as though a rather wealthy fan has taken a big liking to the MCL32's livery! I mean, after taking delivery of this custom spec P1 GTR..

mclaren111

ME4ME wrote:
18 Mar 2017, 13:43
mclaren111 wrote:Can you link the article here please ??
It's only accessable when having a Autosport Plus membership.
(I'm unwilling to copy-paste everything here. The authors should get paid for what they do. Get the membership if you think it's worth it.)
The currency of my country is so bad it makes it unattainably expensive :( :( :(

mwillems

GhostF1 wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 06:29
Redragon wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 06:10
diffuser wrote:

I dont.

I agree. It wasn't Honda bashing at all. Just timed poorly with all the speculation from the media. Instead of hunting for a secret meaning, maybe everyone should take it for what it was.. an homage to a very long and successful relationship McLaren had with Mercedes, with a lot of world class drivers. The idea McLaren won't mention Mercedes' name again is stupid... it's part of their history..
@reddragon @diffuser

That's ok, i.understand your point of view. I wanted to publicly show my view due to some comments about haters with negative filled live, itself being comically a negative and hating response.

There's more than enough smoke to suspect fire, I think. But I'll draw a line now.

@singabule
Money just needs to buy time. Ask Manor about the quali mode :)

mwillems

mclaren111 wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 07:16
ME4ME wrote:
18 Mar 2017, 13:43
mclaren111 wrote:Can you link the article here please ??
It's only accessable when having a Autosport Plus membership.
(I'm unwilling to copy-paste everything here. The authors should get paid for what they do. Get the membership if you think it's worth it.)
The currency of my country is so bad it makes it unattainably expensive :( :( :(
That's Britain right now :mrgreen:

torpor
torpor

It was definitely not an allusion to Häkkinnen bacause the mashup consists of the 2017 orange, the West silver and the Vodafone chrome livery.

Singabule
Singabule

So, Orange chequered flag instead :shock: :lol:

Andres125sx

Vasconia wrote:
17 Mar 2017, 16:34
Andres you have the right to be positive but we also have the right to be pessimistic and critic due to the extremely poor job done by Honda. Yes, they have failed
Sorry for the late reply, but I´ve been busy this weekend.

No Vasconia, you fail when you don´t reach your target, and McHonda target for this season IS building a competitive car to be able to fight for titles next season, so way way too soon to claim they´ve failed

Vasconia wrote:
Past seasons clearly show that if you have done a very bad job during winter its difficult build a truly competitive car/PU if it has some basic flaws.
Obviously, past seasons there was a token restriction severly limiting PU development, so if you didn´t have a competitive PU in winter, you won´t have a competitive PU in summer.

But this is 2017, no token restrictions, so applying past seasons conclusions to this one is flawed from the beginning as they can use four completely different, upgraded and improved PUs this season even without penalties, wich means they could be competitive in summer even if they weren´t in winter

Vasconia wrote:
So you can focus on the good aspects which may give to you some hope, but worrying sings are there and can´t be denied.
And I didn´t!!!

But saying it´s worrying is VERY different to saying they´ve failed before the season starts :roll:

Thunder

Obviously you can't say Honda failed the 2017 Campaign alltogether. At the Moment they failed to bring a decent PU for Testing. I hope for something decent come Melbourne and something good'ish come the European Races.

McLaren obviously can't make up the Time they lost in Winter Testing but seeing their correlation was good last Year and EB confirming it should be good this Year i Hope the Chassis and Aero Teams were able to do some good development for this Weekend. No way the Floor they ran in testing was the Final Form.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

GoranF1
GoranF1

Thunders wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 12:20
Obviously you can't say they failed the 2017 Campaign alltogether. At the Moment they failed to bring a decent PU for Testing.

I hope for something decent come Melbourne and something good'ish come the European Races.
No tokens this year means Honda has a chance to make thing right this year,already in Australia if reliability is sorted and Mclaren brings the new chassis package car should be competitive enough for midfield.
Ericsson said closest team to Sauber is Haas, not Mclaren.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

bauc

Thunders wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 12:20
Obviously you can't say Honda failed the 2017 Campaign alltogether. At the Moment they failed to bring a decent PU for Testing. I hope for something decent come Melbourne and something good'ish come the European Races.

McLaren obviously can't make up the Time they lost in Winter Testing but seeing their correlation was good last Year and EB confirming it should be good this Year i Hope the Chassis and Aero Teams were able to do some good development for this Weekend. No way the Floor they ran in testing was the Final Form.
Yes, The Floor used for the testing was the most basic of them all and we all know that was not the race Floor for the mp4-32

*MCL-32* I guess old habits die hard
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg