2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
proteus

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Sonador wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 01:38
GTO99 wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 01:00
Exclusive interview with a McLaren Honda executive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBPN1zYm-K8
I was laughing so loud at this, that my wife asked me if i was okay, or that i needed some mental help.

Thanx for sharing GTO99!
No comment at all...
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Vasconia

Andres125sx wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 12:33
Vasconia wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 12:33
Andres125sx wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 12:15

And I didn´t!!!

But saying it´s worrying is VERY different to saying they´ve failed before the season starts :roll:
Well, they have failed to do a good jod during Winter as it has been shown. Let´s see if they can do a better job during season.
Now we can agree, even when they said theirselves before winter tests their radical design might bring unintended reliability issues, so not that they were targeting a bullet proof PU and it turned out to be unreliable exactly :wink:
Vasconia wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 12:33
Its basic to make sure that the problems are not related to the basic charactheristics of the PU, because even without token rectriction, a faulty design can not always be solved.

Why? If there´re enough money to redesign, any problem can be solved, and Honda is investing huge amounts of money to succed, so you can be sure that´s not a problem. And if you´re not fighting for the title you´re not worried about receiving a penalty at some GP, so they can re-design the whole PU as many times as they want/need
Because its not that easy to solve certain problems thorugh season even having the budget to do it. We have seen many times that "faulty" designs have been only partially solved during a season, and I am not talking only about the token restriction seasons. Moreover, let´s not forget that other teams will also have the chance of making all the needed to changes in order to improve, so closing the gap for Honda can be extremely difficult.

I am just talking about how difficult is the task of solve certain problems. I truly hope that Honda will be able to do it because its a shame to see McLaren and Alonso in this situation.

Sonador
Sonador

I think Mclaren Honda will complete its first race distance in 2017 in Melbourne.

Honda is awesome, Mclaren is awesome, there is some color back on the car, and 2 awesome drivers!
Should come good this year.

turbof1

Moved posts about the "exclusive interview" to the caption competition.
#AeroFrodo

mwillems

Sonador wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 13:33
I think Mclaren Honda will complete its first race distance in 2017 in Melbourne.

Honda is awesome, Mclaren is awesome, there is some color back on the car, and 2 awesome drivers!
Well there we go, it's sorted now! :lol:

On a positive note, Honda believe they have found the root of the vibrations, in the engine mapping. Even suggesting that to some degree it has been addressed. Whether this means solved, mitigated or made slightly better, is yet to be seen. Hopefully the former so that Psychic Sonador can claim some Kudos. :wink:
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

turbof1

mwillems wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 14:29
Sonador wrote:

On a positive note, Honda believe they have found the root of the vibrations, in the engine mapping. Even suggesting that to some degree it has been addressed. Whether this means solved, mitigated or made slightly better, is yet to be seen. Hopefully the former so that Psychic Sonador can claim some Kudos. :wink:
I always frown when things like vibrations, a hardware problem, is so called rooted in engine mapping, basically software. This gives me the impression "we envisaged to run the PU with these settings, but the PU cannot handle it so we'll run in lower settings now with less performance." I know you can actually push it too hard by using unrealistic settings, but this sounds like saving face.
#AeroFrodo

mwillems

turbof1 wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 14:37
mwillems wrote:
Sonador wrote:

I always frown when things like vibrations, a hardware problem, is so called rooted in engine mapping, basically software. This gives me the impression "we envisaged to run the PU with these settings, but the PU cannot handle it so we'll run in lower settings now with less performance." I know you can actually push it too hard by using unrealistic settings, but this sounds like saving face.
You may be right, it crossed my mind but my gut feeling is that they will find a little more performance. That said, having read Hasegawa's quote, I'm not entirely sure what to expect. He does not reference reliability, just driveability against performance, and it isn't even clear whether he sacrifices one for the other or not.

More cryptic clues. We will know in a few days I guess. But anyhow, worst comes to the worst, the whole weekend is a testing sessions. The engines don't blow, just stop working for a while. So I don't think it should impact their engine count too much. Just the ability to finish a race.

dren

The PUs just stop working for a while? Is that why Honda was changing them out every day during practice?
Honda!

dren

turbof1 wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 14:37
mwillems wrote:
Sonador wrote:

That's not promising if that ends up being the case. The PU was already making poor power if we're to believe the reports.
Honda!

diffuser

Scarbs doesn't saything good about the McLaren Chassis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9eZbiuqCE4

mwillems

dren wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 15:14
The PUs just stop working for a while? Is that why Honda was changing them out every day during practice?
They changes the engines, yes.

Mostly because it was easier than trying to understand what was wrong and fix it, not because the engine was blown (Although that did happen I hear). Maybe this will still be the case. The point is, it doesn't necessarily mean an engine change is going to result in penalties later in the season, those engines are still mechanically as good as when they were built, or thereabouts. The idea that Mclaren will need 5 engines each for the weekend, is an assumption. The only thing I assert, is that we shouldn't make these assumptions, there is more to it than we are talking about.

If you remove that assumption, then the situation is not as bad as it looks.

proteus

If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

GoranF1
GoranF1

diffuser wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 15:20
Scarbs doesn't saything good about the McLaren Chassis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9eZbiuqCE4
Thank you Diffuser,just when my optimism started to come back.... :?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

GoranF1
GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Sonador
Sonador

mwillems wrote:
Sonador wrote:

8)

The troubles Mclaren Honda have had the past 3 years, just isn't funny anymore.
I try to be positive, and maybe "infect" some others with it. But the situation is looking pretty grimm at the moment.
Hopefully they can complete a full race distance this comming GP, and get some proper data and try to build upon that.

They should have sorted the oil tank issue, not sure what happend with the fuel tank during testing (Alonso called it a amateur mistake) So that leaves the electrical and vibration side of things.

I am really shocked about the struggles that Honda has had upon its return to F1, they are very hard workers, very humble and calculated. I wished we had some more insight in there struggles and decision making processes.

[-o<