2017 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal, 9-11 June

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
iotar__

Re: 2017 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal, 9-11 June

- In the quickest car Vettel put it where it didn't belong, lost the start and another race. That's four in a row including Monaco TO. Another chapter in classic '17 Vettel - Hamilton media based battle.

- Ferrari still had Raikkonen which meant they lost to much slower FI and RB before another "no team orders" situation. How many points did Ferrari lose this race because of drivers? Fans of the team and management should count.

- Ocon should have started with overtaking Perez. Why don't you earn something before asking? Usual sense of entitlement from drivers that got everything from marketing program pampering and not on merit. Disease of team orders is spreading, see what Mercedes and Ferrari did?

- Sainz below basic level of competence again.

George-Jung
George-Jung

DOTD = Vettel imho.

Vettel's start was at the same level as Hamilton when you look at the onboard.

The other guys just had better starts.

Real shame for the race, because afterwards Vettel showed strong pace throughout the race- just 2 laps short of P3.

BTW, Bottas is becoming a strong number 2 driver, but nowhere near Hamilton level.

Wynters
Wynters

Ocon gets my vote for Driver of the day. Not much experience, just in the door at FI, made Perez look ordinary (and Perez is pretty quick). Also has the situational awareness to dodge Vettel's suicide lunge.

Decent performance of the day goes to Vettel. Hugely faster car than everyone other than the Mercs and he still couldn't claw his way back into 3rd despite having almost the whole race to do it. But some consistently soild laps throughout and a brave Kobayashi-esque lunge down the inside of Ocon to make sure Hamilton didn't close the gap too far means it's more positive than negative on the report card.

Disappointment of tha day goes to Kimi's brakes. Just when it looks like we'll get a decent battle they stop working for long enough to let Vettel through and get comfortably away.

Disaster of the day goes to Honda. *sigh* But both Sainz and the TR pit crew get mentions too.

All in all, decent GP.

giantfan10
giantfan10

A little reality check to some.
what did we learn from the Canadian Gp you ask? absolutely nothing as far as the Ferrari, Mercedes battle.
Has Mercedes fixed their tire woes? Nope not IMHO see Bottas' qualifying result and comments from Mercedes after qualifying claiming no idea why the tires behaved the way they did at that time.
Hamilton cruising at the front with no pressure at all is not evidence of anything being resolved.
This was a fortunate series of events in the favor of Mercedes for this race and nothing more.
Mercedes should thank Max for the turn one incident(racing incident).
On to Baku where we will maybe get a clearer picture as to if Mercedes has fixed their tire woes or not.

WaikeCU

DOTD was Hamilton for me. He was by far the quickest this weekend. Hasn't made any mistakes at all and just cruised towards the finish line. To the ones who are pointing that Vettel was by far quicker than Hamilton during the race: yeah sure, but Hamilton didn't even push at all. He just took the car home. Whereas Vettel was all over the place at the start being pressured on both sides and taking damage. Nearly lost it at turn 1 when battling with the FI's and then missed the chicane, because he pushed too hard. Thanks to FI bottling it in their inter team battle, Vettel ended in front of the FI's. Strategist was right: If the swap didn't take place, both FI's would have ended behind the catching Ferrari's. Luckily only one got past, since Kimi had brake issues.

giantfan10
giantfan10

Wynters wrote:
11 Jun 2017, 23:45
Ocon gets my vote for Driver of the day. Not much experience, just in the door at FI, made Perez look ordinary (and Perez is pretty quick). Also has the situational awareness to dodge Vettel's suicide lunge.

Decent performance of the day goes to Vettel. Hugely faster car than everyone other than the Mercs and he still couldn't claw his way back into 3rd despite having almost the whole race to do it. But some consistently soild laps throughout and a brave Kobayashi-esque lunge down the inside of Ocon to make sure Hamilton didn't close the gap too far means it's more positive than negative on the report card.

Disappointment of tha day goes to Kimi's brakes. Just when it looks like we'll get a decent battle they stop working for long enough to let Vettel through and get comfortably away.

Disaster of the day goes to Honda. *sigh* But both Sainz and the TR pit crew get mentions too.

All in all, decent GP.
As far as Vettel....2 stops versus one stop for all other teams.. Vettel absolutely did the maximum possible in the amount of laps alloted for this race. he deserves the driver of the day.

Scorpaguy

SFI will be having an interesting debrief today. However, it is Ferrari that will be the most uncomfortable debrief...not the first time they lost pace on a Sunday after a promising weekend...but beaten soundly by RB and arguably by SFI!!!

I could be wrong, but i believe KR only made one pass in anger today...and that was a DRS-enabled job on a gasping Mclaren. Aside from the last 20 laps, Ferrari seemed to be "mailing it in".

Racer X

My opinion is simple if the car infront of Ocon was Hulkenberg he wouldn't have let him pass either if Esteban was actually faster he would have overtaken Perez. Why didn't he start by overtaking Perez. I mean if the guy couldn't pass Perez what makes you think he could have passed Ricciardo. Also if his car really was faster why wasn't he able to pass a slower car that was a on a slower strategy.

I mean Ocon needs to earn his overtakes nobody ever gave Perez anything'. He pleeded the team to let them race'. I hate to hear a driver ask to be let to race. I'm sure Perez wouldn't have told the team to tell Ocon to let him pass this kid ha's earned what he has achieved'. Ocon couldn't beat Perez plain and simple'.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Perez had no obligation to let Ocon pass, Perez was ahead of Ocon before the pitstops and FI put Ocon on the better strategy(overcut). Perez earned that position and has no obligation to give it up freely.

Racer X

I wonder if after Perez let him pass they were going to ask Ricciardo to please let Ocon pass as well?
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

Racer X wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 00:04
My opinion is simple if the car infront of Ocon was Hulkenberg he wouldn't have let him pass either if Esteban was actually faster he would have overtaken Perez. Why didn't he start by overtaking Perez. I mean if the guy couldn't pass Perez what makes you think he could have passed Ricciardo. Also if his car really was faster why wasn't he able to pass a slower car that was a on a slower strategy.

I mean Ocon needs to earn his overtakes nobody ever gave Perez anything'. He pleeded the team to let them race'. I hate to hear a driver ask to be let to race. I'm sure Perez wouldn't have told the team to tell Ocon to let him pass this kid ha's earned what he has achieved'. Ocon couldn't beat Perez plain and simple'.
Bottas in a Mercedes on fresher tyres wasn't able to pass Ocon on 32 laps old tyres. #-o
Ocon would need to be 1sec faster to pass Perez who was in the DRS of Daniel, and thats unrealistic because they have the same car and Perez was not struggling.
The stat points between an Online Forum and Real Life are inversely proportional...

Wynters
Wynters

giantfan10 wrote:
11 Jun 2017, 23:48
As far as Vettel....2 stops versus one stop for all other teams.. Vettel absolutely did the maximum possible in the amount of laps alloted for this race. he deserves the driver of the day.
I'll take a 1+ second per lap advantage over having to take an extra pit stop. How long was the race? 70 laps? How long does a pitstop take? More than 70 seconds? It's not like it's difficult to overtake in Canda.

I'm sure whenever Hamilton or Rosberg came from the back of the field in 2014-2015 you were equally effusive? Or did you, correctly, point out that when you are driving in a different class of car it's quite easy to catch up?

Even if you disagree with Ocon, do you really think Vettel extracted as much from his car as Alonso did from his? Or Perez, who spent the whole race in front of the much faster Ferrari of Kimi?

Wynters
Wynters

Racer X wrote:
Ocon was faster, you can tell because he spent the last third of the race glued to Perez's gearbox (despite having significantly less downforce). As such, he might well have been fast enough to overtake the Red Bull. We'll never know as Perez not only made sure to slow Ocon down to his own snail's pace whilst failing to even stay within a second of the Red Bull. At the end, Vettel basically forced Ocon off the track and Ocon still ended up with his nose grazing Perez's gearbox.

Ocon spent quite some time waiting for the team to sort things, whilst his own tyres were shredding lap after lap. If they had been on different teams then he wouldn't have waited and I think there's a pretty good chance that Ocon would have been celebrating his first podium today as a result.
Racer X wrote:
nobody ever gave Perez anything
Does the name 'Carlos Slim' ring any bells?

LionKing
LionKing

Wynters wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 02:10
giantfan10 wrote:
11 Jun 2017, 23:48
I'll take a 1+ second per lap advantage over having to take an extra pit stop. How long was the race? 70 laps? How long does a pitstop take? More than 70 seconds? It's not like it's difficult to overtake in Canda.
Since Vettel's stop came very early at the beginning of the race, he really did not enjoy the benefits of extra stop, did he? He pretty much did his whole race in a set of SS plus a set of US. Hamilton did his race in a set of US and a SS.

Right... Bottas in Mercedes can not pass Ocon, Force Indias can not pass a engine handicapped Red Bull. Kimi can not pass the cars in front. It is not like it is difficult to overtake in Canada, isn't it?

and of course Vettel was better than Perez. I don't think Perez was even as good as his rookie teammate at this race.

LionKing
LionKing

Racer X wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 00:49
I wonder if after Perez let him pass they were going to ask Ricciardo to please let Ocon pass as well?

Perez is a paid employee as all the other hundreds of people working for the success of the team. He should have done what he was asked to do. But I wonder if he trusts his sponsor's money.

Adding to his poor year at McLaren and today showing that he is not a team player at all, I think he just hurt his own chances of moving up the ladder.