Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
etusch

Re: Honda Power Unit

Citing pitpass.com
Yusuke Hasegawa: "Today was a good day at the office for the McLaren Honda team. A double-points finish is definitely a positive step forward for us.
"After yesterday's encouraging result in qualifying, we knew we had a package capable of scoring some points. Both Fernando and Stoffel drove brilliantly, keeping their concentration in hot and tough conditions, and pushed throughout to bring home nine precious points.
"Today's result is the sum of a lot of hard work and daily efforts made by the team members, and I want to thank them all for this.
"Although we are now able to head into the summer break with good momentum, we are not satisfied with the overall results of the first half of the season. We will continue to push our development for improvement, and hope to have a good start of the second half in Spa- Francorchamps."

ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

damager21 wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 18:25
What a week. Sauber cancelled their 2018 deal with Honda and now McLaren is ahead of Sauber in the Constructors championship.

Still a long way to go but if Honda can get another 40bhp in the second half, I would say game on for 2018
I don't get Sauber, I think they are going to regret their decision a lot.

Rumor is that Dietrich Mateschitz has a meeting with Honda on Tuesday about the engine supply for STR (and maybe for a deal for the whole team..)

Chene_Mostert

ArcticWolfie wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 20:11
damager21 wrote:
What a week. Sauber cancelled their 2018 deal with Honda and now McLaren is ahead of Sauber in the Constructors championship.

Still a long way to go but if Honda can get another 40bhp in the second half, I would say game on for 2018

Rumor is that Dietrich Mateschitz has a meeting with Honda on Tuesday about the engine supply for STR (and maybe for a deal for the whole team..)
lets wait and see, we have seen and heard this many times...
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

stevesingo
stevesingo

Sasha wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 16:08
Just look at Alonso's last lap to see what is possible when the wick is turn up to max for this spec PU!
(and there is still a big step spec PU coming)

Fastest lap
And the closest to others top speed at all measured sections during this season

Also was keeping pace with Verstappen the last 10 laps
Are you saying the engine was running a higher output setting than in qualifying? I would say the "Max" setting was used in qualifying. It might also have been used in the race by Alonso and in clear air. What also might have not happened is neither Ferrari, Mercedes or RedBull used their qualifying "Max" setting during the race.

The large proportion of the 57 sec deficit to P5 is down to PU efficiency.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Chene_Mostert wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 20:16
ArcticWolfie wrote:
damager21 wrote:

lets wait and see, we have seen and heard this many times...
Mateschitz might use STR as the guinea pig for Honda Engines to see if they are worth switching to for the main team. I guess it depends on how things play out in the next couple of races.

godlameroso

The power deficit will be 2.5 seconds per lap if the power is not improved at least through Kemmel and Blanchimont, the rest of the lap power is not terribly important if they only have a deficit through all of sector 2 they will only lose ~.6 at most.
Last edited by godlameroso on 31 Jul 2017, 02:00, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

ArcticWolfie wrote:
damager21 wrote:

I don't see it. From a manufacturing and inventory point of view, it is better to use Renault engines in both cars. On the flip side having a Honda engine at the junior teams is a way to get a sneak peak of how Honda's developments are coming on. Is it worth it just for a sneak peak? I don't think so, not when RedBull can easily ask for data if they are serious about purchasing.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ZakB
ZakB

It makes sense, free engines for STR, which means they have more money to develop the car and this data can be shared with Red Bull.

GhostF1
GhostF1

ZakB wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 23:58
It makes sense, free engines for STR, which means they have more money to develop the car and this data can be shared with Red Bull.
The engines would not be free if STR sign with Honda. That is a perk McLaren gets as part of the works partnership only. Honda won't hand out free engines to everyone.

Sasha
Sasha

99% sure they will be free to TR with an option to buy the team in the future.

Singabule
Singabule

Sasha wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 03:06
Good deal then. What the point to run exactly same renault on both team, since redbull itself set the benchmark for factory team. RB still pushing for independent manufacturer like hell, and STR would be ideal for guinea pig. On the other hand, MCL would stuck with honda untill honda found another team. It depends on MCL decision imo. And currently more data on honda engine will only benefit MCL. Look how pirelli test boost them as well. Also, two Way battle with RB could boost their mentality if RB using honda too

wuzak
wuzak

ArcticWolfie wrote:
damager21 wrote:

Why is that?

They will get technical assistance from Ferrari on other aspects of the car and they get a highly rated junior Ferrari driver (or maybe 2).

Performance and reliability from the PU will be close to the best, if not quite the best.

What I could never understand is why Sauber would go with Honda in the first place. It can only have been money, but they would be taking a giant leap into the unknown.

wuzak
wuzak

Sasha wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 03:06
A Honda engine in the STR would brighten Sainz's mood at being stuck there! NOT.

wuzak
wuzak

stevesingo wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 22:06
Sasha wrote:
Just look at Alonso's last lap to see what is possible when the wick is turn up to max for this spec PU!

Fastest lap

Are you saying the engine was running a higher output setting than in qualifying? I would say the "Max" setting was used in qualifying. It might also have been used in the race by Alonso and in clear air. What also might have not happened is neither Ferrari, Mercedes or RedBull used their qualifying "Max" setting during the race.

Alonso did a 1m22 before he did the 1m20.

Boullier admitted that he was attempting to set fastest lap and that he was using qualifying mode.

Maybe Alonso was keeping pace with Verstappen in the last 5 laps - he wasn't in the last 10 laps.

Also, Alonso was 70s behind P1, despite Vettel having a race long steering issue which prevented him going as fast as he potentially could. Both Raikkonen and Hamilton could have gone faster than Vettel's pace in the race.

On the other hand, he was stuck behind Sainz for the first stint.

Zynerji

stevesingo wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 22:06
Sasha wrote:

Fastest lap

Red Bull and Ferrari drivers have both repeatedly said that they do not have a special qualifying mode to their engine at all.