Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Joseki
Joseki

Re: Honda Power Unit

j.yank wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 16:04
Mudflap wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 15:37
I did say Spa and Monza will show if Honda have made any real progress.
Unfortunately it's still the same story - no power and no reliability.

Does anyone know what happened to Alonso?
He is loosing his temper whenever he feels that he is embraced. After this he retires with engine problem. This is understandable for a great champion - they tend not to accept embracement. What we saw today should be expected: without enough energy to deploy per lap they are doomed. This is not no about the power. They have the power but they don't have energy.
Maybe you should listen to the engine before posting BS about Fernando retiring because he doesn't want to race or he's frustrated. It's insulting.

Sayeman

Joseki wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 16:10
j.yank wrote:
Mudflap wrote:

He is loosing his temper whenever he feels that he is embraced. After this he retires with engine problem. This is understandable for a great champion - they tend not to accept embracement. What we saw today should be expected: without enough energy to deploy per lap they are doomed. This is not no about the power. They have the power but they don't have energy.
Maybe you should listen to the engine before posting BS about Fernando retiring because he doesn't want to race or he's frustrated. It's insulting.
Hmm, if it was Button i would have immidiately rejected the idea of him intentionally retiring but since it's Alonso, i am not 100% sure. He asked if rain was on the horizon just before retiring, sounded like he was contemplating the idea of quitting. and sounding funny doesnt mean the engine was gonna give up, lets see what Hasegawa says.
Never Give up.

PlatinumZealot

Squid wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 06:17
So if ERS deployment is built into the engine mapping, doesn't that mean that the only variable it can use is the throttle pedal? Because a lot of the talk going around right now is that Honda should be using steering input and whatever else to figure out when to deploy the ERS, but from what I understand about engine mappings, that would be both impossible and illegal.
That speaks only to the throttle map. The entire PU have a host of other maps.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Joseki
Joseki

Sayeman wrote:
Joseki wrote:
j.yank wrote:

Hmm, if it was Button i would have immidiately rejected the idea of him intentionally retiring but since it's Alonso, i am not 100% sure. He asked if rain was on the horizon just before retiring, sounded like he was contemplating the idea of quitting. and sounding funny doesnt mean the engine was gonna give up, lets see what Hasegawa says.
The team asked Fernando to retire the car, they too are part of the conspiracy?

They have the data, they can tell Fernando to stay out if they don't see anything wrong.

Accusing Fernando for Honda's failures, or implying that he's less professional than Button, is pathetic.

j.yank
j.yank

Joseki wrote:
j.yank wrote:
Mudflap wrote:

In no way I am trying to insult Alonso - he is a great driver, my favorite, bit still he is a man, and I can understand his frustration. But this pattern "embracing situations - retirement" has happen many times this season with Alonso, and never with Vandoorn. Maybe I am wrong, but the sound of the engine cannot prove anything - otherwise we will have crystal clear picture what is going on with the Honda engine, only listening to the engine sound, which is clearly impossible. I doubt that anyone from the team, including Hassegava, will tell us what is the real situation.

Joseki
Joseki

Alonso: “Engine problem. Engine problem.”
Team: “Yeah let’s box to retire the car.”

Why don't people asks the same questions about Verstappen? He had DNFs all season and Ricciardo never.

ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

Joseki wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 17:04
Alonso: “Engine problem. Engine problem.”
Team: “Yeah let’s box to retire the car.”

Why don't people asks the same questions about Verstappen? He had DNFs all season and Ricciardo never.
Seems Verstappen's engine went into safemode today because it detected a sparkplug issue... :wtf: all them electronics/computers these days (my own car got a computer problem as well at the moment...)

diffuser

Nobody asked ALO why he had that burst of power to pass Hulk but he just seem to loose power after that and never showed the power again. I thought he lost electrical boost but his lap times were similar to Van's. Maybe he just had to go into fuel save mode ?

diffuser

baybars wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 11:09
etusch wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 20:04
New lesson for Alonso: if you feel no deployment release throttle and then push it again
I think this lesson must be Honda.
Honda must restructure motor software including all condition.
Alonso Said that He lost 0.5 sec. for this issue.
Can you(or anybody) react less than 0.5 sec.(realse and push thottle)
Not sure what you're trying to say ...but if you're suggesting that it could have been avoided by communication then I agree. If ALO knew what they were basing the deploys on then obviously he would have take the steps to keep the deployment going.The deployment map probably got out of sync with where they were on the circuit.

henry

Juzh wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 11:21
henry wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 10:05
I think Mercedes and Ferrari can run full MGU-K deployment for all of a qualy lap. It is likely that they don't but not because they don't have enough energy to deploy but more likely because they run part of the lap with wastegate open and the MGU-H driving the compressor.
No on can deploy for entire lap at max power (120 kw) and wont be able to for as long as the rules stay as they are. It's very obvious they can't do it from how different acceleration is at different parts of tracks.
can I ask which of the numbers I used you disagree with? I think they have more than enough electrical energy to achieve full deployment for WOT over a full lap. I didn't include the charging they can do under part throttle which would provide even more energy.

Do you have some examples of the variation in acceleration rates?
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

GoranF1
GoranF1

I wonder what he refers to??? :o

There needs to be one change only," he said. "I think there are many answers out there and we need to find them. They will not come looking at the sky.

"We need to sit down and work on it and hopefully we find the best solution for next year
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Joseki
Joseki

It's probably the livery. :roll:

By the way Honda confirmed that after Fernando's radio message they asked him to retire the car but they didn't see anything on the sensor.
Last edited by Joseki on 27 Aug 2017, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Joseki wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 18:53
It's probably the livery.

By the way Honda confirmed that after Fernando's radio message they asked him to retire the car but they didn't see anything on the sensor.
Aperently Alonso has made a agreement whit Carlos Ghosn....works status Renault engine for Mclaren in 2018 and switch to Renault Sport F1 to end his career in 2019.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

j.yank
j.yank

diffuser wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 17:21
Nobody asked ALO why he had that burst of power to pass Hulk but he just seem to loose power after that and never showed the power again. I thought he lost electrical boost but his lap times were similar to Van's. Maybe he just had to go into fuel save mode ?
Yes, it was quite strange to see how he passed Hulkenberg, and after this he was helpless against the same Hulkenberg and the rest. That's why I think that they have power but not energy. Fuel saving.

etusch

Alonso was very good at start too( maybe he used all he has in battery). If they had 30 hp more Alo could jump front of redbulls at start I think.
Last edited by etusch on 27 Aug 2017, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.