Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SiLo

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

His issue was that the car was rising as he was braking hard, rather than standing on end like he was used to at McLaren. The FRIC system would rise slightly at the front to keep the entire car flat as it braked hard, so the braking per se isn't different, but the way the car reacts whilst doing so is.

This could be relevant with the new braking systems as they might not react in the same way as previous systems. Just because brake bias is the same doesn't mean the system will feel the same. It would be like driving a Porsche and the driving a BMW, the brakes won't feel the same in both but they might be using very similar systems.
Felipe Baby!

SectorOne

Per wrote: Which is exactly the opposite of what you are saying...
Also I very much doubt the existence of different settings (at least until 2013; brake by wire will probably change things a lot), since the whole braking system was completely mechanic/hydraulic and it cannot sense the car's speed. This is the reason why some drivers are adjusting their brake balance during a flying lap in qualifying (shifting it more to the rear for corners where the approaching speed is lower).
Yea got it backwards,

I also checked some things and it was BB based on travel, not speed.

You have base, peak and begin bias ramping to set.
You can set the maximum and minimum front brake bias and ramping determines where the minimum value will start to ramp up towards the peak number.

Unless settings have changed from 09 to 13 you should still have this same system on all cars. (bar 14 cars then although they might still have it)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Coefficient
Coefficient

SiLo wrote:His issue was that the car was rising as he was braking hard, rather than standing on end like he was used to at McLaren. The FRIC system would rise slightly at the front to keep the entire car flat as it braked hard, so the braking per se isn't different, but the way the car reacts whilst doing so is.

This could be relevant with the new braking systems as they might not react in the same way as previous systems. Just because brake bias is the same doesn't mean the system will feel the same. It would be like driving a Porsche and the driving a BMW, the brakes won't feel the same in both but they might be using very similar systems.
He also mentioned last year that the master cylinders used by Mercedes gave different feel to the pedal which he found difficult to predict. I bet Paddy Lowe knows just how he likes it though.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

heimana
heimana

Did mercedes spend crashs tests with the new nose?

turbof1

Yes, one failed. Today was another scheduled; don't know how that one ended.
#AeroFrodo

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

A new Mercedes engine promo was released with a 3D car render, it looked more accurate than your usual team promo render but the nose has been made shorter and slightly higher which ties in with the rumor of making it interact with the front wing less. Probably nothing but thought I'd post it as there have been quite a few times in the past where 3D renders reveal future updates.

Render:
Old:
Source:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96cHD7H1ZEw

Soon find out anyway.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

scuderiafan

Amazing how the front wings on today's cars are just barely attached to the nose pillars like that.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

markn93

Owen.C93 wrote:A new Mercedes engine promo was released with a 3D car render, it looked more accurate than your usual team promo render but the nose has been made shorter and slightly higher which ties in with the rumor of making it interact with the front wing less. Probably nothing but thought I'd post it as there have been quite a few times in the past where 3D renders reveal future updates.

Render:
http://i.imgur.com/96k5Afy.png
Old:
http://i.imgur.com/FLsCLm5.png
Source:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96cHD7H1ZEw

Soon find out anyway.
Great spot, I'm convinced you're right (doesn't take much to persuade me but still).

Ferraripilot

Interesting, so it must be air to air cooled per that video?

ringo

I think the render is the older design.
Funny how we're yet to see a radiator solution.
For Sure!!

dans79

ringo wrote:I think the render is the older design.
Funny how we're yet to see a radiator solution.

You mean the 30% more efficient or lighter (depending on who you ask) radiator solution that people have been talking about forever?
197 104 103 7

OO7
OO7

I may be wrong, but I don't believe it is the new nose, as the rest of the car in the 3D rendering wasn't even equipped with the Bahrain aero updates.

SectorOne

ok when i first read the "Mercedes might finish two laps ahead" i sort of laughed a bit then read this again but this time from Horner himself.
"Looking at Mercedes' race simulation, it wouldn't be a surprise if they finished two laps ahead of everyone in Melbourne. They have a massive advantage."
http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3213/920 ... y-two-laps
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Thunder

@SectorOne: First, this belongs in the Team Thread.

And second, it's just Doomsday bla bla from RedBull.
Quote from the Autosport Forum on this Interview ->http://www.f1times.co.uk/news/display/08598
What makes me laugh is where Horner says "They invested more, they invested earlier," as if to make excuse as to why RBR are behind, because they invested more in last years car than others did before switching. However I clearly remember in 2009 when McLaren and Ferrari were behind and sighted the reason being they invested to the very end in 2008 where others didn't, Horner said in an interview words to the effect "These are just excuse from McLaren and Ferrari, teams with budgets like their's would have had two teams one working on '08 car and the other working on '09 car. We've just done a better job."
Just the typical RB Thing, i don't think any Team invests more Money than RB, well maybe Ferrari.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Shakeman

Blaze1 wrote:I may be wrong, but I don't believe it is the new nose, as the rest of the car in the 3D rendering wasn't even equipped with the Bahrain aero updates.
The nose on the rendering is not sufficiently different to the original and I'd be surprised if they would've had problems with getting that through the crash test.

The rumours were of a more extreme nose that failed the crash test. Maybe it'll be something more along the lines of the orange McLaren platypus nose example posted on these boards.