Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
BorisTheBlade

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

Manoah2u wrote: If, you can take anything from this at all, for i feel like i wouldn't take too much honesty on CGI renders of the
car made for 'entertainment' purposes. they won't be given anything crucial away, so it's not a correct representation
of the actual car anyway.

wouldnt' look to much into it to be honest.
Maybe it was the exception to the rule but remember RBR spoiling their new car with a CGI in 2009 that was meant to explain the new rules.
And weren't there some CGI/sketches of McL or FER this year that showed updates early on which didn't make it to the launch spec?
So all in all I think it's worth keeping an eye on these releases.

Sebp

pmneo wrote:Seems they have an asymmetric Fuel-Tank?

Why would they do that?
Maybe the tank is somewhat z-shaped when seen from above.
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

copperkipper1
copperkipper1

Intercooler packaged on the left hand side of the car explains why the fuel tank is shaped like that.

Balance.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Owen.C93 wrote:Doesn't look like a great idea as the fuel load goes down though.
Why? Surely they'd be able to design it so that as it went down the balance remained pretty much the same? I mean right at the very end of the race you can see that the balance may go a little as the fuel is all used up but it seems like quite a clever idea to me. of course, it could just be that the video is just for promotion and doesn't represent the true shape of the tank at all!

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

bonjon1979 wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:Doesn't look like a great idea as the fuel load goes down though.
Why? Surely they'd be able to design it so that as it went down the balance remained pretty much the same? I mean right at the very end of the race you can see that the balance may go a little as the fuel is all used up but it seems like quite a clever idea to me. of course, it could just be that the video is just for promotion and doesn't represent the true shape of the tank at all!
Well the mass would change left to right as it went down. Maybe 10kilos or so? Quite a big deal when teams are balancing the 4 corners to 0.1kg and decent drivers can tell you when they are out by 2kg reliably.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

aleks_ader

Owen.C93 wrote:Yeah the merc has it's intake through the V which matches with the pics we've seen. Rollhoop actually goes to a cooler above the gearbox.
Yup also if we take into account:

-that explain Mercedes andMcl split airbox inlets. FI had 2 inlets like F138 or Mcl from year 2011
-Mcl nude picture
-FI "nude" picture

Clearly those patterns emerge before. Also that that confirm your statement. And we could go even furher and connect dots into bigger picture. Mercedes PU had its very distinctive features, which are very different among others engine manufactures.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

otbsti

Basically if any of this stuff about gear ratios is true, it's a lot of fuss about nothing. (Underlined part is important)

According to the regulations:

9.6 Gear ratios :
9.6.1 The number of forward gear ratios must be 8.
9.6.2 Each competitor must nominate the forward gear ratios (calculated from engine crankshaft to drive shafts) to be employed within their gearbox. These nominations must be declared to the FIA technical delegate at or before the first Event of the Championship. For 2014 only a competitor may re-nominate these ratios once within the Championship season, in which case the original nomination becomes immediately void. Ratio re-nominations must be declared as a set.

So they can change them now, but they will be stuck with them until later in the season when they can use the ratio re-nomination.
"Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that."
-Ayrton Senna

Mercedes AMG Petronas
Lewis Hamilton #44

mix2mix
mix2mix

Any news on nose crash testing?

ACJJ619
ACJJ619

If that is indeed the new nose, it looks slightly more rounded to me. More like the Ferrari nose. Maybe they're trying to do what Ferrari were seen doing very efficiently with the flow-viz, sucking air around the sides of the nose and underneath the car.

Seen here: Image

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

I disagree, it looks like they're made it quite high by making the pylons the crash structure similar to the lotus nose but much smaller. If they launched with this nose I think people would be impressed with how high it is.

motobaleno wrote:http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/35541/ ... ompressore

omnicorse reports MGU-H mercedes placed between turbine and compressor...
ferrari and renault inside the V...
actually something like that can be seen from the video above

I mentioned on the take off point for the MGU might be there in the pre-launch thread based on the amount of space between the turbine/compressor and the fact the exhaust enters in the same direction as the charge exits, which suggests the 2 are counter-rotating...
avatar (from pre launch thread) wrote:Random thought: a differential between the impeller and compressor as the takeoff point for the MGU could mean reverse the spindle direction in the compressor?
There's much more longitudinal depth to the Merc Turbo (in the images they've released) vs the Renault, so may there be something to that?

aleks_ader

Owen.C93 wrote:I disagree, it looks like they're made it quite high by making the pylons the crash structure similar to the lotus nose but much smaller. If they launched with this nose I think people would be impressed with how high it is.
All respect no insult here. But i Disagree with you not near Lotus solution. That is inverted U crossestion (90 000 mm^2) and that makes the optical illusion. Actually that is very clever and straitfoward design.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

aleks_ader wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:I disagree, it looks like they're made it quite high by making the pylons the crash structure similar to the lotus nose but much smaller. If they launched with this nose I think people would be impressed with how high it is.
All respect no insult here. But i Disagree with you not near Lotus solution. That is inverted U crossestion (90 000 mm^2) and that makes the optical illusion. Actually that is very clever and straitfoward design.
Yeah I understand, I just mean in respect to the crash structure going down the sides rather than the center like the finger noses and Ferrari.

daveyrace
daveyrace

Owen.C93 wrote:
aleks_ader wrote:
Yeah I understand, I just mean in respect to the crash structure going down the sides rather than the center like the finger noses and Ferrari.
At a guess I would have thought the Ferrari would either have a nose width crash structure or one down either side, due to its unusual shape, not a central section, unless you have evidence otherwise? What I have seen is that the nose was sheared clean off just behind the camera ears in Kimi's crash which impacted at an angle. Not the safest of nose shapes, luckily there was no secondary impact :roll: .

If anything I would have thought the Mercedes had a wide(nose width)central crash structure, the shaping at the front is just for aerodynamic and dimensional regs. Handily there is a picture of it without the 'skin' looking very much like this...

As was stated in another thread the first 15cm from the tip of the nose must absorb no more than 10g, take that distance back on the Mercedes nose and you are back to the pylon supports. If they can shorten the nose it will be mightily impressive.

I suspect the 'finger' noses are just this low g impact part, not the crash structure proper. Other than Caterham.

The Ferrari is a very short nose starting almost at the back of the front wing, there is some serious design crash structure wise compared to other teams to pass the crash tests for that low short nose style whilst still supporting the front wing. If Mercedes can bring their nose back to this position getting it to pass the crash test will be the problem, they had a wing failure issue on the first nose.
The Lotus only has one side longer to meet dimensional regs, because they have decided not to join it across like Mercedes/Ferrari (the inverted U shape). I expect the crash structure to be the same size in either tusk(symmetrical).

I have a feeling we will see inside a few more nose's this weekend when those drivers get frisky :wink:

Thunder

Melbourne 2014 via AMuS

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum