Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
kooleracer
kooleracer

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

beelsebob wrote:
De Jokke wrote:I read some comments about that the W05 hasn't got a weak spot but I'm afraid we've already seen it: wet track.
As the car is more than a sec. clear in dry weather, it's all been whiped out in wet weather. How come? Any one any ideas? Can they fix that?
More specifically, it's weak spot is turn in. It appears to have a fairly weak front end, especially in low speed corners.
The front of the car look really positive on the onboards to he honest. Lewis and Nico don't need to correct turning in or during the corners. So i would have to disagree with you on that one. The W05 was even better than the RB10 in turn 9 & 10 in Bahrain so how can you call it weak?
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

beelsebob
beelsebob

kooleracer wrote: The front of the car look really positive on the onboards to he honest. Lewis and Nico don't need to correct turning in or during the corners. So i would have to disagree with you on that one. The W05 was even better than the RB10 in turn 9 & 10 in Bahrain so how can you call it weak?
Here's the pole lap.

You can see Rosberg needs 4 bites at the steering wheel to get the car to turn in to turn 4.
Again, 3 or 4 goes at turning in on turn 8.
"only" 2 at turn 10.
and finally 3 at turn 14.

And this was the car that was suffering less with understeer this weekend.

Boost
Boost

Emerson.F wrote:
Shakeman wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:Sky Sports F1 2014: How Mercedes become so strong in 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuBB2F6IutQ
Interesting but is that the whole reason Merc are 1 second up the road?

With all that extra power they've also managed to transmit that through the tyres into the road without turning the tyres into smoking hoops. The issues Merc had last year with tyres is now gone (notwithstanding the tyres are more durable) and they appear to be better or at least as good as other teams on tyre life and performance. Can anyone see what they've done?

The car also appears to be pretty good in the fast corners too so their aero is also not letting them down either and it appears to be an 8 or 9 in most areas and it's the sum of its parts that is making the big difference.

I was watching the highlights of BAH again and noticed at the safety car restart from an onboard of one of the FIs that the two Merc just disappeared in seconds. It was a phenomenal view of their dominance.

The W04 was very front limited ever since the W02. They changed the weight balance and rear suspension was also changed. The W05 is far less front end limited and is much better balanced.
How do you change the weight distribution when it is fixed by the rules?

Dreameagl
Dreameagl

beelsebob wrote:
kooleracer wrote: The front of the car look really positive on the onboards to he honest. Lewis and Nico don't need to correct turning in or during the corners. So i would have to disagree with you on that one. The W05 was even better than the RB10 in turn 9 & 10 in Bahrain so how can you call it weak?
Here's the pole lap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2ljqv8p6zA

You can see Rosberg needs 4 bites at the steering wheel to get the car to turn in to turn 4.
Again, 3 or 4 goes at turning in on turn 8.
"only" 2 at turn 10.
and finally 3 at turn 14.

And this was the car that was suffering less with understeer this weekend.
I'm not sure I'm seeing it the same way. The 'bites' look more like adjustments to me that are required to change corner radius and optimize the entry, mid and exit phase.
I think it would be a lot more telling to show a side by side with a car you consider to have better turn in than the Mercedes.

emmepi27
emmepi27

New "ears" (ph Amus)

Burgess
Burgess

Didn't they try the smaller ones in PST?

zioture
zioture

New Video Mercedes AMG

THE FASTEST WAY TO EXPLAIN HYBRID TECHNOLOGY
Efficiency, performance and reliability. The new Mercedes-Benz PU106A Hybrid Power Unit has shown a perfect blend of all three qualities so far this season. This 3D animation shows in detail how the Hybrid V6 turbo engine works and introduces tailor-made fluid technology that seems to reverse the laws of physics.

kooleracer
kooleracer

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/bild ... how_item=8

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/bild ... ow_item=40

The attention to detail on the W05 are just beatiful to watch. Does somebody knows when the new nose will make its debut on the car? Has it passed the crash test yet?
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Jaap

zioture wrote:New Video Mercedes AMG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEzq1Pt ... e=youtu.be
Efficiency, performance and reliability. The new Mercedes-Benz PU106A Hybrid Power Unit has shown a perfect blend of all three qualities so far this season. This 3D animation shows in detail how the Hybrid V6 turbo engine works and introduces tailor-made fluid technology that seems to reverse the laws of physics.
This video doesn't show the rumoured Mercedes secret weapon. Some sources say the turbo intake propellor has been moved to the other side of the engine, so that it doesn't heat up as much from the exhaust part and making the tubing to and from the intercooler shorter. Really wonder if we will ever see a picture of it!

TRICKLE69
TRICKLE69

Jaap wrote:
This video doesn't show the rumoured Mercedes secret weapon. Some sources say the turbo intake propellor has been moved to the other side of the engine, so that it doesn't heat up as much from the exhaust part and making the tubing to and from the intercooler shorter. Really wonder if we will ever see a picture of it!

Page 109 of this tread shows a picture of it....
IT IS WHAT IT IS

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

kooleracer wrote: Does somebody knows when the new nose will make its debut on the car? Has it passed the crash test yet?

The latest from AutoSport & GA on the new Merc nose

via AutoSport

kooleracer
kooleracer

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
kooleracer wrote: Does somebody knows when the new nose will make its debut on the car? Has it passed the crash test yet?

The latest from AutoSport & GA on the new Merc nose

http://s30.postimg.org/yzsv22att/Merc_Nose.jpg
via AutoSport
Thanks for the update, really appreciate it.

astracrazy
astracrazy

i'm wondering if this is just rumour about this nose. I just don't see that its worth that much that they are spending weeks and weeks of redesign and crash test on it? And i can't imagine that mercs impact software is that inaccurate.

zioture
zioture

Jaap wrote:
I know it but it is strange, the Mercedes AMG shows the new nose in advertising and then show a fake power unit in the video. Maybe because it is the real secret and the nose is not imporant...

gray41

I think that due to them thinking it was going to pass the test prior to Aus.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***