Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

simieski wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Can they store the extra fuel above 100kg in a seperated compartment, to make sure they don't use it during the race?
A quick check of the regs would suggest no.

''6.1.1
The fuel tank must be a single rubber bladder....''
That'll make life difficult. What are they going to do if they end up 5 laps before the end while being critical close to the 100kg limit. Or what if their calculations are ever so slightly off? I'm seeing lots of "force majeure" excuses coming up (for all teams in general).
#AeroFrodo

beelsebob
beelsebob

turbof1 wrote:
simieski wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Can they store the extra fuel above 100kg in a seperated compartment, to make sure they don't use it during the race?
A quick check of the regs would suggest no.

''6.1.1
The fuel tank must be a single rubber bladder....''
That'll make life difficult. What are they going to do if they end up 5 laps before the end while being critical close to the 100kg limit. I'm seeing lots of "force majeure" excuses coming up (for all teams in general).
They're going to go over, and they're going to be disqualified. We're rapidly getting off the topic of Merc's car though.

Blackout

Those pipes (exhaust pipes?) we se under the bodywork, and their location, look strange to me. And what are those silver things near the floor at each side of the gearbox?

smlbstcbr
smlbstcbr

Blackout wrote:Those pipes (exhaust pipes?) we se under the bodywork, and their location, look strange to me. And what are those silver things near the floor at each side of the gearbox?
http://www.formula1.com/wi/enlarge/0x0/ ... 1ja047.jpg
They are the radiators' exhaust and those silver things near the floor at each side of the gearbox most likely are thermal protection.

Forza

beelsebob
beelsebob

Man these cars sound awesome.

Shrieker

beelsebob wrote: Man these cars sound awesome.
I'll miss the V8s, not as much as the V10s though. The V6s definitely don't sound as was dreaded. When you add in the fact that they're probably not running at full revs yet, it becomes clear that there's absolutely nothing to worry about the sound of F1 2014.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Multi21

Shrieker wrote:
beelsebob wrote: Man these cars sound awesome.
I'll miss the V8s, not as much as the V10s though. The V6s definitely don't sound as was dreaded. When you add in the fact that they're probably not running at full revs yet, it becomes clear that there's absolutely nothing to worry about the sound of F1 2014.
At least it's a good compromise by Bernie to have vetoed the original idea of having turbo four pots. Races would have sounded like a bunch of civics with busted exhausts.

YUL-F1
YUL-F1

The Mercedes is making the off throttle blown diffuser sounds a la red bull mid corner.

shelly
shelly

Forza wrote:Pre-season testing - Jerez T1: DAY 4, 31/1/2014

From this rea view:

1) the intersting U feature in the center of the diffuser begs the question about where the mm2 for smh are being exploited, as it cannot be seen. Is it on another surface? below the U?

2) No full endplate for monkey seat - small endplates instead to exploit vortex rolling underneath probably
twitter: @armchair_aero

Shakeman

YUL-F1 wrote:
The Mercedes is making the off throttle blown diffuser sounds a la red bull mid corner.
It's going to be interesting to see if we can determine what mappings correlate to engine sounds during the season during races.

The cars seem to be very tuneful depending on the power train mode they're in.

Helios

I'm still not convinced regarding all that Mercedes yay, Red Bull nay - talking. Could it be that Mercedes were mostly focused on reliability instead of performance and RB went the other way round? If that was the case, Mercedes need to hope for RB to retire like every 2nd race of the season, which I doubt is going to happen. Sure, you can work on your setup early on with a reliable car and squeeze out some tenths of a second, but that wouldn't really help much if their concept is clearly behind RB's concept performance-wise. And then there's McLaren aswell ... even though the laptimes in Jerez don't mean a lot, it still seems like they've got some serious pace aswell.

NathanOlder

Helios wrote:I'm still not convinced regarding all that Mercedes yay, Red Bull nay - talking. Could it be that Mercedes were mostly focused on reliability instead of performance and RB went the other way round? If that was the case, Mercedes need to hope for RB to retire like every 2nd race of the season, which I doubt is going to happen. Sure, you can work on your setup early on with a reliable car and squeeze out some tenths of a second, but that wouldn't really help much if their concept is clearly behind RB's concept performance-wise. And then there's McLaren aswell ... even though the laptimes in Jerez don't mean a lot, it still seems like they've got some serious pace aswell.
I don't think you need to look much past the fact Nico said they have no idea on their own performance as they haven't been even close to pushing the car yet. Plus the fact Mclaren are still looking for a title sponsor, so putting their car at the top of the time sheets was always going to look good. Also the fact the Kevin put his car off the track twice yesterday, suggests they were pushing a little harder than most of the others. This test was ALL about reliability. And Renault failed bit time. Mercedes on the other hand passed with flying colours. Only the Force India seemed to have a few gremlins. The W05 obviously had a mishap on Tuesday, but a piece of body work coming off is in no way a big problem, as all the teams have worked with fixing body work for decades. Where as problems with a V6 Turbo Hybrid is a brand new concept to the teams and obviously challenging to the engine suppliers as well.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Anon123
Anon123

Mercedes actually have useful data though, they can focus on going faster in the next test and developing parts where as Red Bull will need to take a step back, as Ricciardo said "back to the drawing board". I think RB were the slowest team this week aswell so how much more could they have learned about their speed than Merc did? Judge13 seems to think they are doomed saying the problems will take 15-20 weeks to resolve and by that time Merc will miles down the road, I can't imagne RB being at full power in Aus Q3 because they are finding it hard to run around 20 seconds slower than their car's potential in cool conditions.

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

Hamilton and Rosberg haven't been pushing the W05 at all. You can clearly see that in all the videos. Hamilton is super tentative and very smooth rolling onto the throttle on corner exit. This is a year where reliability directly results in speed. If you are consuming too much fuel, breaking parts, etc, you can't go flat out. That in and of itself is lap time