Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
boson
boson

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

Multi21 wrote:
Shrieker wrote:
beelsebob wrote: Man these cars sound awesome.
I'll miss the V8s, not as much as the V10s though. The V6s definitely don't sound as was dreaded. When you add in the fact that they're probably not running at full revs yet, it becomes clear that there's absolutely nothing to worry about the sound of F1 2014.
At least it's a good compromise by Bernie to have vetoed the original idea of having turbo four pots. Races would have sounded like a bunch of civics with busted exhausts.
I'm not sure about that. Motogp bikes sound bloody great and they are only 4 cylinders, so slightly more revvy ones for an f1 car wouldn't sound that different

el-Magico
el-Magico

Motogp doesn't have a turbo..
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

Multi21

el-Magico wrote:Motogp doesn't have a turbo..
Well said, the turbo takes away a lot of the noise from these engines, it could have been the same with the v8 if they were turbocharged, the scream they emitted would have be drowned a little.

SectorOne

Sound at 1:42 - F*ck me that sounds good!

-
Edit: looks so nice the rear end. Very sharp looking.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Shrieker

YUL-F1 wrote:
The Mercedes is making the off throttle blown diffuser sounds a la red bull mid corner.
That's got something to do with turbo related stuff, is it not ? Do you think they're trying to blow the underside of the monkey seat / rear wing ? One's inclined to think they aren't going to waste even a drop of fuel to blow for aero gains in such a fuel restricted formula.

Then again, fuel restriction is for race day, and AFAIK there are no fuel restrictions for qualifying for which you need every last hundredth from the car. So, even in 2014 it makes sense to blow for aero purposes ! Use maximum performance setup on Saturday and leave the fuel saving for Sundays ? But then again, where does the engine mapping restrictions between Saturday and Sunday come into play ? If the same rule regarding engine mapping is carried over, surely they cannot do this, which would rule the possibility of exhaust blowing out.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

PhillipM
PhillipM

They're using the engine to recover energy through the MGU-H when braking.

Shrieker

PhillipM wrote:They're using the engine to recover energy through the MGU-H when braking.
But that doesn't make much sense to me :?: Why would they burn precious fuel just to charge the batteries ? That just sounds terribly inefficient in a fuel efficiency oriented formula... What am I missing ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

beelsebob
beelsebob

Shrieker wrote:
PhillipM wrote:They're using the engine to recover energy through the MGU-H when braking.
But that doesn't make much sense to me :?: Why would they burn precious fuel just to charge the batteries ? That just sounds terribly inefficient in a fuel efficiency oriented formula... What am I missing ?
Because 1) electrical transmission is a lot more efficient than mechanical, so it turns out not to be bad 2) because by spending that fuel on getting the batteries charged, they can spin up the turbo early, and save a ton of fuel under acceleration by having the right level of compression and air in the engine.

Shrieker

Ok that makes a lot of sense. Cheers :)
-Atatürk

Shakeman

Shrieker wrote:
There's a lot of kinetic energy in the spinning turbo that is recovered during breaking by the MGU-H but that can also use this energy while on full throttle to give an instant boost to HP.

They have more choices where to use the ERS-K and ERS-H energy around a lap and for what purpose i.e. a push to pass or to cover turbo lag.

Huntresa
Huntresa

You gotta remember energy can flow unlimited from H to K and other way around.

PlatinumZealot

beelsebob wrote:
Shrieker wrote:
Because 1) electrical transmission is a lot more efficient than mechanical, so it turns out not to be bad 2) because by spending that fuel on getting the batteries charged, they can spin up the turbo early, and save a ton of fuel under acceleration by having the right level of compression and air in the engine.
Not true really. Depends on what type of transmission....

On the use the MGU-H, what they are doing here is transferring the excess energy from the exhaust that would be other wise used to compress more air. The engines are fuel limited as we know, so if there is a maximum amount of air that matches the 100kg/s of fuel (let us say in a lean burn mode). Compressing more air than this is a waste. So this energy is fed into adding power to the crankshaft via the ERS system.

Similar applies for traction limited turns. If the engine doesn't need more power the extra exhaust energy can be used to charge the KERS.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

ferddy07
ferddy07

mclaren_mircea wrote:
Helios wrote:I'm still not convinced regarding all that Mercedes yay, Red Bull nay - talking. Could it be that Mercedes were mostly focused on reliability instead of performance and RB went the other way round? If that was the case, Mercedes need to hope for RB to retire like every 2nd race of the season, which I doubt is going to happen. Sure, you can work on your setup early on with a reliable car and squeeze out some tenths of a second, but that wouldn't really help much if their concept is clearly behind RB's concept performance-wise. And then there's McLaren aswell ... even though the laptimes in Jerez don't mean a lot, it still seems like they've got some serious pace aswell.
+1

Mp4-29 shown flashes of speed that I dind't saw on the W05. Hamilton's best time on Thursday was on mediums, like Kevin, and he did a 7 lap stint, while Magnussen ws on his first hours as a F1 official driver, made gis time on a 3 lap stint, and between them was more than half a second (it was almost a second). In now situation extra fuel for 4 laps will bring you more than half a second. And remember that Kevin said that it wasn't a back at the wall lap that 1:23:2 because in the subsequent lap he did a 1:23:5 a lap time which wasn't touched by Rosberg or Hamilton in 4 days. They did in this four days long stints, but not only, and believe if Mclaren's team of engineers got it wrong last year, doesn't mean that they can't do a better car than Aldo Costa and Geoff Willis. There were aero measurment laps for Mercedes W05 not only race simulations, and in none of that they were close to mp4-29. In fact in all the days mp4-29 was on track was faster than W05.
The discussion with the sponsors it's non sense, because they have big big budget for this year, and from 2015 HONDA will be sponsor to (pumping money not only free engines). After a bad year like 2013, Mclaren can't afford to to running for the sponsors, all what they did was optimising the car.

For the umpteenth time, trying to read anything from the headline laptimes over these tests in Jerez is a pointless exercise #-o :roll: Not until the final test in Bahrain before we start to get an idea of what the pecking order is like. With the new regulations having the fastest car over one lap is nowhere near as important as it used to be, there are just too many variables. The car with the right balance of engine reliability, speed, fuel management and cooling will be the car to beat. Pace is no longer the be all and end all!

CriXus
CriXus

YUL-F1 wrote:
The Mercedes is making the off throttle blown diffuser sounds a la red bull mid corner.
As i understand, it's not the same as the last year. They do it for mid-corner drivability, but last year they cut the ignition (they wasted fuel) and now they cut the injection (they save fuel). This topic was commented in Test Jerez Day 2 - Ted's Notebook - http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/9 ... s-notebook
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

YUL-F1
YUL-F1

I wonder if they are able to harvest not only during braking but also during acceleration as to implement a crude version of traction control. The cameras on the car are probably precise enough to detect wheel spin.

I remember rumors last season on this very forum of Red Bull using such a system.