F1 future technology

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Spencifer_Murphy

F1 future technology

Just recieved my copy of F1 racing. In it they discuss possible technologies used in F1 (not a prediction it should be noted) fr the year 2028. The study was done by QinetiQ.

They discuss using Fuel Cell technology to power the car, using the brakes to generate energy which could be stored then used to propell the car (as discussed elsewhere on the forum I think)

They also talk about using a HUD fir the driver, and touch responses (pressurepads on the seat or neck to tell a driver where the opposition is) possibly making mirrors redundant (the aero guys would like that!)

Also nano-pigments that improve heat transfer regardless of colour could make the cars bodywork (or even race suits) more efficent at cooling, with nano sensors monitoring the drivers body conditions sending data back to a computer that could suggest or even actually implement changes to he driver's environment.

Finally (and this is the best bit) Self Repairing cars! The idea being that:

The carbon-fibres in the car's bodywork would be manipulated on a nano scale to make them hollow and filled with a resin or adhesive of some sort, also nano-sized spheres of resin would be impregnated into the carbon fibre weave.

Any impacts would break the carbon fibres, or crush the spheres, releasing the resin which would hold the strctural integrity of the car...for the time being.

To restore the shape of the car (and therefore restore the aerodynamic properties of the car) shape-memory alloys could be used in the bodywork of the car. They are already used in satelites, to repair microscopic damage caused by tiny impacts of particles in space. This occures when the satrelite cools and heetas as it passed infront of the sun then behind the earth into its shadow. Except in the self-repairing F1 car threads of magnetic shape-memory alloys would be inter-woven into the carbob fibire and rather than heat, would respond to a magnetic field generated by some sort f track side antenna.

Furthermore shape memory polymers (large organic, i.e carbon based, molecules) could also be used, these would respond to some sort of radiation field. In essence the idea is that the car drives thru the pits (or simply past it on track) and the car is repaired on the go!

The scarey thing is - this techology already exists (albeit in its simplest form)
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

manchild
manchild

Self-repairing car, now that's something Ralf would kill for :lol:

Some of the nano technology was already mentioned here viewtopic.php?t=1718

Ciro Pabón

Re: F1 future technology

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:They discuss using Fuel Cell technology to power the car, using the brakes to generate energy which could be stored then used to propell the car (as discussed elsewhere on the forum I think)
Max Mosley says it could be mandatory from 2009 on, probably (I'm guessing here) using supercapacitors made with carbon nanofibers for energy density, efficiency and ease of conversion. This has been posted everywhere in this forum, from technical news to hungarian translations.
Ciro

Nick
Nick

I've seem these shape-memory alloys in our materials engineering department at school. They are incredible. I'd love to see that technology be used in places like F1 where the benifits are clear to see.

tf1
tf1

I can't imagine the FIA/Bernie allowing those kinds of "exotic" materials into F1. They won't even let the teams use magnesium even though it is used extensively in passenger cars these days. I suppose they could try to use them in a "hidden" area but sooner or later it would come to light and get banned. That's what sucks about this trend of making the cars more simple.

mini696

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:Any impacts would break the carbon fibres, or crush the spheres, releasing the resin which would hold the strctural integrity of the car...for the time being.
Only minor impacts...

I cant see any repairs being workable if the rear wings is ripped off in a (sudden) impact.

I like the ideas though.

Belatti
Belatti

Ciro Pabón wrote:
Spencifer_Murphy wrote:They discuss using Fuel Cell technology to power the car, using the brakes to generate energy which could be stored then used to propell the car (as discussed elsewhere on the forum I think)
Max Mosley says it could be mandatory from 2009 on, probably (I'm guessing here) using supercapacitors made with carbon nanofibers for energy density, efficiency and ease of conversion. This has been posted everywhere in this forum, from technical news to hungarian translations.
When reading this its funny to see how much has been talked (Why Max aint out yet?) and how nothing has been done regarding the implementation of better technologies. After all, we are running machines designed almost a century and a half ago.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna