Belgian GP 2009 - Spa Francorchamps

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Richard
Richard

Re: Belgian GP 2009 - Spa Francorchamps

Brilliant race!

Shame so many crashed on first lap. Would have been even better to have Hamilton (best KERS) and Button (championship leader) in the mix.

Button is very very very lucky with the championship standings.

Those Merc engines seem bomb proof???

WhiteBlue

The FOZ wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:Vettel will be the big winner in the championship race.
I consider Vettel to potentially be a points black hole...I fully expect him to blow up two more engines between now and season's end, and start racking up the grid penalties.
Sebastian could have won this race if they had not messed up his qually with a heavy car. The team is making too many mistakes this year. They released Webber unsafe and had the wrong fuel strategy for Vettel. Vettel in clean air was the fastest car on track.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Richard
Richard

ISLAMATRON wrote:Kimi passed 2 cars while off track after La Source, Ferrari get away with cheating again.. what's new?
I think it was smart race craft, keep out of danger by running wide, he had no intent to take that corner on the track. No doubt that he gained out of it. He passed cars onto the entry to the corner because he knew he could carry more speed to overtake them then run wide and hold that gain when he rejoined.

Perhaps they should have run offs like that on the first corner of every circuit and anyone is allowed to run anywhere on the first corner of the first lap? A bit like those open areas after a toll booth on the motorway?

pjobmathew

Great job from BMW !!!!! Congrats to Fisi and Kimi :wink:

Its such a beautiful track !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111 =D>

alvinkhorfire
alvinkhorfire

Great win from Kimi!!! 8) Pretty much F60 simply has no pace to win the race, but Kimi's usual Spa magic makes it all possible.

Man, I would hate to see that Kimi is not at Ferrari next year. [-o<

ISLAMATRON

jddh1 wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:Kimi passed 2 cars while off track after La Source, Ferrari get away with cheating again.. what's new?
Oh stop it.
The rule is that you cannot make up places. He had already passed the Toyotas. He did not fall behind or gain a position. So that's why it wasn't even investigated by the stewards. In addition, no one even complained to the stewards so that they would launch an investigation.
So, please, stop it with the Ferrari bashing. I know you know the rules so just stop it.
The rule is that you must have all 4 wheels on the racing surface to complete a pass, if you are not completely ahead of the car you are passing and one of your wheels goes off the racing surface you must give that position back, the was the case with Hamilton's penalty at France last year when attempting to pass Vettel.

The moment Kimi's front left wheel left the racing surface(after the kerb and onto the green astroturf) he is behind Fisi, Heidfeld, Kubica, and maybe a wheel ahead(BUT NOT COMPETELY AHEAD) of Truilli(who did not leave the racing surface at all).

Heidfeld slowed up Truilli which allowed Kubica to get by both... but when Kimi returned to the racing surface he did so ahead of both Heidfeld & Truilli... he should have slotted in behind them.
richard_leeds wrote:I think it was smart race craft, keep out of danger by running wide, he had no intent to take that corner on the track. No doubt that he gained out of it. He passed cars onto the entry to the corner because he knew he could carry more speed to overtake them then run wide and hold that gain when he rejoined.
Going off track to avoid danger is fine but gaining positions(or time according to the FIA) because of it is not good race craft IT IS ILLEGAL, is that not exactly what Hamilton was penalized for at SPA last year. But once again when it is a red car it is ignored, and even celebrated by the unscrupulous tifosi.
Last edited by ISLAMATRON on 30 Aug 2009, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.

flynfrog

ISLAMATRON wrote:
jddh1 wrote:
Oh stop it.
The rule is that you cannot make up places. He had already passed the Toyotas. He did not fall behind or gain a position. So that's why it wasn't even investigated by the stewards. In addition, no one even complained to the stewards so that they would launch an investigation.
So, please, stop it with the Ferrari bashing. I know you know the rules so just stop it.
:cry:

Great race. The onboad shots of hamilton on the first lap made me clench up a little on the couch these cars are so damn fast.

Brilliant race by Force India well done. Now off to Monza

Richard
Richard

ISLAMATRON wrote:Going off track to avoid danger is fine but gaining positions(or time according to the FIA) because of it is not good race craft IT IS ILLEGAL, is that not exactly what Hamilton was penalized for at SPA last year. But once again when it is a red car it is ignored, and even celebrated by the unscrupulous tifosi.
Its a near impossible rule to enforce in that situation. We so rarely see any penalty on incidents at the first bend after a start. I think it is simply a matter of survival. Perhaps grass/gravel on that corner would make running wide more of a disadvantage?

di44ety
di44ety

andartop
andartop

Kimi owned this race all along, I only wish he drove as well on every single race with Ferrari. Makes you wonder what on earth was wrong with him last year.
I'm really happy about Fisico, as he's always been one of my favorite drivers, so well done. Hope he gets a win with FI as well, that would be fun!
I'm also extremely happy about Vettel, and hope they find the reliability to allow him to win or lose the title fair and square, not through penalties..
But I'm even happier that I got quite a few bets right: Kimi for victory, Fisico in the points, both Renaults DNF, Lewis out and only 1 McLaren to finish the race!!! :lol:
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

The_Man
The_Man

A really awesome race. I'm happy for Force India and F1 in general.

One thought to Spa. What a circuit! Always the best race of the season. Eou Rouge is spectacular and an excellent overtaking opportunity. They should never consider scrapping Belgium. Flat out sections to 2nd gear corners has everything. I make it a point specially never to miss the spa race some day o hoe i'll see a race from the Eou Rouge stand :)

They should make more Spas and lesser Singapores.
IIT Bombay Racing
Vehicle Dynamics FSAE 08; FS 09

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/08/ ... -grosjean/

Some real BS coming out of Grosjean's mouth there, I'm starting to hate him already. How did Button take him out then? From all the replays I saw it was clear Button was just racing his line behind Kova, he may have braked a little bit early to avoid slapping the back of Kova but nowhere near enough to be deemed unsafe. Grosjean is going to end up becoming another Piquet if he's not careful...

Something needs to be done about these big-headed rookies who think they are the next Lewis Hamilton. With the testing ban they are more dangerous than ever. If the testing ban is to remain then there need to be stricter rules on super licences.

These idiots are ruining what is turning out to be a great championship, I was quite looking foward to watching Button & Hamilton come through the field today. Luckily I got a poor start from Barrichello and he provided most of the entertainment for the day :)

-KMR_NH-

Awesome race!
Kimi drove a good race. He had a good start and KERS helped him a lot.
Fisi was racing well, too. And some action on the track, just Spa-like. A real entertaining GP!
Kimi Räikkönen
Nico Hülkenberg

timbo
timbo

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

this is a poisoned environment.
Last edited by DaveKillens on 08 Sep 2009, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.