Italian GP 2009 - Monza

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
StrFerrari4Ever

Re: Italian GP 2009 - Monza

That add's some spice to it i wonder what the speeds are going to be anyone have a rough guess?

ISLAMATRON

Ludicrous speed

Scotracer
Scotracer

StrFerrari4Ever wrote:That add's some spice to it i wonder what the speeds are going to be anyone have a rough guess?
My guess:

Cars without KERS: 350km/h
Cars with KERS: 355-360km/h
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

tommylommykins
tommylommykins

With regard to KERS:

On the outlap, the only place that KERS will gain you an advantage is any point where you do not have to brake before the start/finish line, because as soon as you brake, you are taking away the energy that KERS has put in: If you use KERS and then brake before hitting the line, you wont carry any extra energy into the flying lap than as if you didn't use KERS.

However, once you're on the flying lap, you can use KERS anywhere you want, not necessarily only as soon as you pass the start-line.

Would that suggest that we will see it being used on the exit of the parabolica, and then wherever it is most efficient to use it thereafter?

----

Where would KERS get used on the flying lap? Would it be on the exit of the slowest points? If so, would that suggest it would be split between the exits of the two chicanes?

----

edit: Also, with regards to people thinking that kers will cause the cars to hit their rev-limiters: Do you think they would just gear 7th slightly longer, allowing for increased top speed with KERS? What are the benefits/losses with doing this?

siskue2005

tommylommykins wrote:With regard to KERS:

On the outlap, the only place that KERS will gain you an advantage is any point where you do not have to brake before the start/finish line, because as soon as you brake, you are taking away the energy that KERS has put in: If you use KERS and then brake before hitting the line, you wont carry any extra energy into the flying lap than as if you didn't use KERS.

However, once you're on the flying lap, you can use KERS anywhere you want, not necessarily only as soon as you pass the start-line.

Would that suggest that we will see it being used on the exit of the parabolica, and then wherever it is most efficient to use it thereafter?
they can store Kers worth of 2 laps in one recharge in braking zone
so they can double boost in S/F straight
see this > http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78308

joseff

ISLAMATRON wrote:Ludicrous speed
They've gone to plaid!

Last edited by joseff on 04 Sep 2009, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.

tommylommykins
tommylommykins

siskue2005 wrote:
tommylommykins wrote:With regard to KERS:

they can store Kers worth of 2 laps in one recharge in braking zone
so they can double boost in S/F straight
see this > http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78308
What I tried to get across is that although they could double boost in the S/F straight, that's not necessarily what they will do... If it is more efficient to use KERS somewhere else, they will.
[/size]
----

Edit: Stupid post... Please ignore.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Just a Kers thing.. It is not "linked" to the brakes directly. It is directly connected to the crankshaft. It would seem an obvious step that to charge it they leech some power from the crank when under braking. If they wanted to charge it up for an outlap then they should be able to do it directly from the engine without an application of the brakes. The motor would labour a touch but why not?

Does that make sense?

Ref the specific point of double use - it is a no brainer to give it the full 6secs out of Parabolica and up into the main straight and then use the next set of 6.6s as soon as they are not traction limited onto the curva grande and out of lesmo 2.

We'll soon see anyways!
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

siskue2005

CMSMJ1 wrote:Just a Kers thing.. It is not "linked" to the brakes directly. It is directly connected to the crankshaft. It would seem an obvious step that to charge it they leech some power from the crank when under braking. If they wanted to charge it up for an outlap then they should be able to do it directly from the engine without an application of the brakes. The motor would labour a touch but why not?

Does that make sense?

Ref the specific point of double use - it is a no brainer to give it the full 6secs out of Parabolica and up into the main straight and then use the next set of 6.6s as soon as they are not traction limited onto the curva grande and out of lesmo 2.

We'll soon see anyways!
the rule specifically says the kers shud only be charged using rear wheels , nothing else.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

I know this..but the unit is at the front of the engine and so technically is being charged by the motor rather than the wheels.
Is it only allowed to charge under deceleration?
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

This is what im envisaging for KERS Deployment for Monza:

Yellow = KERS Deployment
Aqua = KERS Recharge Zones

I think they will deploy KERS out of Parabolica and once over the start finish line, when the system gets refreshed, they will deploy then, hence double deployment.

I think the best place for non-KERS cars to pass KERS cars is from the exit of Varianti Ascari down to the Parabolica, as the KERS guys wont want to use it there as it will hamper them down the main straight.

siskue2005

CMSMJ1 wrote:I know this..but the unit is at the front of the engine and so technically is being charged by the motor rather than the wheels.
AFAIK the kers motor is behind the engine [correct me if i am wrong]
and its only allowed 2 b charged during braking

Scotracer
Scotracer

CMSMJ1 wrote:I know this..but the unit is at the front of the engine and so technically is being charged by the motor rather than the wheels.
Yes the unit is charged via the engine - but it would be detrimental to straight-line performance to charge it during acceleration. I think the regulations only allow braking anyway...
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

timbo
timbo

ESPImperium wrote:This is what im envisaging for KERS Deployment for Monza:

Yellow = KERS Deployment
This is possible KERS deployment zones?
Otherwise full throttle time out of Parabolica lasts about 15 seconds and there's no way they can use KERS all that time even using is twice.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

timbo wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:This is what im envisaging for KERS Deployment for Monza:

Yellow = KERS Deployment
This is possible KERS deployment zones?
Otherwise full throttle time out of Parabolica lasts about 15 seconds and there's no way they can use KERS all that time even using is twice.
Thats why they will try and save as much as they can of their 6.6 seconds for this area. Posibly only use a little out of Retifilo, but mainly they will use it out of Paribolica and just after the start line, abouot 3 seconds each time, with about .6 of a second out of Retifilo.

But if used spairingly thruout the lap, i could see more gains than just the high speed secions in Quali. They will change to use the KERS systems in the high speed zones in the ract tho.