Monaco GP 2010 - Monte Carlo

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
nipo
nipo

Re: Monaco GP 2010 - Monte Carlo

raymondu999 wrote:What I meant was, let's say RBR get speedtraps of... say... 285. Then McLarens (with F-duct, don't forget. And Ferrari isn't racing theirs here) get maybe... 292 (totally random figure) then they would have to gear the gearbox less aggressive... have longer gears. This way they would reach 285 *after* the Red Bulls do. Of course, this is assuming a perfectly ideal world where the McLarens and Red Bulls have equal traction, aero efficiency, fuel weights, engine torque figures etc :mrgreen:
Well yeah they would have to gear it up a little bit longer, but the presence of the F-duct shall mean they have less drag on higher speeds and can climb quicker to top speed as well. I think in reality on a long enough straight the McLaren might actually climb to the same speeds at roughly the same time as other cars, and then proceed to accelerate further.

Then again I think that difference is negligible at Monte Carlo.

I have tipped McLaren, but remembering the fact that Renault has a much shorter car they might have a good chance to jump a few places here!

djones
djones

Would it be correct to say the driver makes more difference here than any other track?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

djones wrote:Would it be correct to say the driver makes more difference here than any other track?
On a dry day, I would say yes. Perhaps not in outright speed as the cars still have a huge say in that.
But in terms of keeping your nose clean throughout the race, this is a "drivers circuit". The reason being those barriers, and the tracks ability to demand 100% focus or your out!
Its also not a typically favourite track with drivers because of its twist stop start nature but its the one the drivers want to win the most.....
More could have been done.
David Purley

raceman

:roll:

Why the official F1 site (formula1.com) is showing Monaco GP on 13, 15, and 16 May?? Why 14 is omitted? Is there any special event on 14th in Monaco?

From Mark Webber:
It is a different type of weekend with running on Thursday and a bit of a break on Friday.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

FP 1 and 2 are on thursday.

Friday is a play day as its Monaco, then battle commences Saturday morning with FP3.
A relic of times gone by.... 8)
More could have been done.
David Purley

thestig84
thestig84

It is because as ever Friday is a public holiday in Monaco.

mach11
mach11

I was wondering if there are any articles by former race engineers giving an account of the technical challenge of setting a car up for the monaco grand prix???
"Be the change that you wish to see most in your world" -- Mahatma Gandhi

WhiteBlue

thestig84 wrote:It is because as ever Friday is a public holiday in Monaco.
That is true. But the holiday is simply there for commercial reasons to create one more night in the hotels and get people to shop out of boredom. Money spinner for the Monegasque businesses.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

bill shoe
bill shoe

Re: Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

A shot of the sidepod.

http://www.autosport.com/gallery/photo.php/id/13250668

The undercut below the inlet is not quite full width. As a result there is a tall and narrow volume in the front of the sidepod below the inlet. Last year that volume was roughly filled with KERS components. This year I'm guessing the monocoque bulges out laterally into that volume to increase fuel capacity.

casper
casper

Friday's the day that the local residents can use the road to get away from the noise and the crowd.
http://www.rivieratimes.com/monaco-arti ... ula-1.html

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Weather prediction for Monaco GP:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/5003

Looks like a showers during quailfying and the race. Lets hope there is so that the Monaco GP is worth watching. [-o<

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:FP 1 and 2 are on thursday.

Friday is a play day as its Monaco, then battle commences Saturday morning with FP3.
A relic of times gone by.... 8)
I know its a relic, but its tradition. By all cynical means its also a means of making more money as well by keeping everyone there that oh-so-long time of one more day.

But there is a serious note to it as well, Friday is used for all the support races and such to more or less finish their stuff in one day as sundays programme is literally only a couple of short Porsche Supercup and Formula Renault 3.5 races before the F1 guys hit the track. GP2 is gone by Saturday evening and packed up as well. Its also to make sure the F1 race is the centre piece of the weekend.

Personally i like how Monaco is rightly diffrent to the other 18 dates we have every year.

Ray

andrew wrote:Weather prediction for Monaco GP:

Looks like a showers during quailfying and the race. Lets hope there is so that the Monaco GP is worth watching. [-o<
I think I may be the only one in the world, but I HATE rain at Monaco. It makes for a boring race to me. Yeah slipping and sliding is cool, and watching them try and balance traction and speed is entertaining. But I like the car hauling ass around city streets on the absolute limit better. Even if it is just a Trulli train. Rain to me ruins it, on any other track I like rain, just here it's no fun to watch them not go very fast. Specially without traction control. It's a crapshoot in the rain.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Ray wrote:
andrew wrote:Weather prediction for Monaco GP:

I think I may be the only one in the world, but I HATE rain at Monaco. It makes for a boring race to me. Yeah slipping and sliding is cool, and watching them try and balance traction and speed is entertaining. But I like the car hauling ass around city streets on the absolute limit better. Even if it is just a Trulli train. Rain to me ruins it, on any other track I like rain, just here it's no fun to watch them not go very fast. Specially without traction control. It's a crapshoot in the rain.
Fair enough. I have the exact opposite opinion to that and find Monaco a total bore and quite outdated for modern F1. For me, the rain spices things up a bit.

WhiteBlue

Henning wrote:I wonder how many times the words "Schumacher" and "Rascasse" are going to be mentioned in the same sentence this weekend?
I thought Jonathan Noble and Pablo Elizalde were impertinent and rude with their questions at the Merc livery launch in January and felt that this would be the end. Guess what? A sick asshole (David Croft) dished it up again today at a Mercedes press conference.

adamcooperf1.com wrote:Schumacher was initially asked if he had any regrets about the incident, not least because it potentially cost him the World Championship.

“I guess it didn’t, but it doesn’t change as well if we get back into it, because we’re now in 2010.”

Pressed on the matter, he said: “I had great fun in the race, I have to say. Coming from last, and going through the field, I think I finished fifth. That was good fun.”

Reminded that Saturday had been a low point of his career, he blamed the media, “You made it – some of you guys. I mean, let’s look forward and not backwards.”

When Croft asked whether Michael would so the same thing again to guarantee pole, he said: “You’re boring…”

Finally he was asked if there was any reason why he was not able to say sorry for what happened. “I mean you can keep trying absolutely, but we’re not talking about 2006 anymore. There’s enough said I don’t feel that I need to go any deeper into it…”
How sick is this? Croft had plenty of opportunity to ask questions for the five months that Schumacher continued his carreer in 2006. There is nothing the public has not been informed about the Rascasse incident in every facet. This has no purpose but to embarrass Mercedes GP and Schumacher and cater to the lowly sentiments of bigots and haters. Nobody needs sh!t thrown at the fan that is four years old. I hope Croft will come to Hockenheim and walk the camp ground there by night. Perhaps he can have an in depth interview how the fans feel about such a wanker as he is. It would do him a lot of good for sure.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)