Monaco GP 2010 - Monte Carlo

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
vall
vall

Re: Is Hamilton desperate or what?

lebesset wrote:apart from the sad six , who did alonso actually overtake on sunday ?
who actually overtook someone at that race????

vall
vall

internetf1fan wrote:
adam2007 wrote:He was pushing very hard he did very good job job sunday to get sixth and probs would have won, if ferrari can keep on redbull he will be champion
But that doesn't give him the right to wave his hand at Di Grassi when they've actually racing for the position. It's very arrogant to think everyone would get out of the way just because he crashed out in a faster car.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG64Ef4Ae6A[/youtube]

This is the only video of that moment that I found. While it is fare to defend position, I think the move of Di Grassi was not quite clear. DG moved right and Alonso started an overtaking move, then GD moved left. It was very close to have an accident had Alonso been more aggressive and put his front will inside a fraction of a second earlier.

djos

Re: Monaco GP 2010 - Monte Carlo

WhiteBlue wrote: Too much power without an appropriate level of control is very dangerous as the world learned in 1994. Within five months there were two dead drivers and six nearly fatal accidents that could have claimed more lives. At that time everybody thought F1 was safe after 12 years without driver fatalities.

We have now gone 16 years with some very heavy focus on safety. Nevertheless doing something stupid as massively overpowering cars can easily negate all the work. Besides I think that my analysis of the utilization of more power is correct. It will enable more downforce and G-levels beyond the tolerable. If you fix downforce by spec parts you can as well fix it at the right level that was recommended a long time ago (1,25 metric tons). In that case the cars will be over powered with the current power but drivers will be able to control that due to the lower G-levels.
Senna's fatal crash had nothing to do with too much HP, it was caused by the cars running so low to ground (without active ride control to control the ride height) then when his tires cooled down behind the safety car his car was completely bottoming out and he no longer had control over it and into the fence he went at high speed. (at hight speed his cars downforce literally pushed it into the ground and he became a passenger)
Last edited by djos on 20 May 2010, 00:25, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

alberto222mx

vall wrote: who actually overtook someone at that race????
A German with a silver car.... :mrgreen:
"Why doesn´t someone tell Pedro it´s raining" - Chris Amon, 1000km Brands Hatch, 1970

autogyro
autogyro

Re: Ferrari F10

I take it that most people do not believe Alonso crashed because of any aero rear wing issue then.
Why did the car crash?

vall
vall

alberto222mx wrote:
vall wrote: who actually overtook someone at that race????
A German with a silver car.... :mrgreen:
yeah, rigth ..... some people here said "what a brilliant move, perfectly executed" bla-bla. Ferrari told Alonso not to try to overtake Hamilton because it was forbidden. He did not expecting to be attacked and was just cruising to the finish.

PNSD
PNSD

Cruising to the finish?

He lit up his rear tyres, which is the reason Schumacher had the run on him!

Im certainly not a Schumacher fan, but boy was it a great move.

segedunum
segedunum

No one seems to know. It does seem like an odd place to have that kind of accident which totally wrote-off the chassis and not the sort of mistake you'd expect Alonso to make there. Officially it's Alonso's fault though.

Skunk0001
Skunk0001

Fernando Alonso wrote:It was my fault, I locked the left front wheel and the car went into the guard rail. Perhaps the hard tyres needed another lap to get to the optimal temperature and perhaps the track wasn’t at its best. It’s a shame. With the car I had I’ve missed an opportunity.
Source: http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/05/r ... in-monaco/

autogyro
autogyro

segedunum wrote:No one seems to know. It does seem like an odd place to have that kind of accident which totally wrote-off the chassis and not the sort of mistake you'd expect Alonso to make there. Officially it's Alonso's fault though.
Hmmm, I think that explains why I am not convinced of no aero problem yet.

sunny1304
sunny1304

guys I have a question....

I just wonder why ferrari was so fast in Monaco with such longer wheelbase ???

what design philosophy of ferrari is helping them to be fast in slow circuits where the car is aimed for the fast flowing high speed corner circuit ??

pgj
pgj

djos wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote: Too much power without an appropriate level of control is very dangerous as the world learned in 1994. Within five months there were two dead drivers and six nearly fatal accidents that could have claimed more lives. At that time everybody thought F1 was safe after 12 years without driver fatalities.

We have now gone 16 years with some very heavy focus on safety. Nevertheless doing something stupid as massively overpowering cars can easily negate all the work. Besides I think that my analysis of the utilization of more power is correct. It will enable more downforce and G-levels beyond the tolerable. If you fix downforce by spec parts you can as well fix it at the right level that was recommended a long time ago (1,25 metric tons). In that case the cars will be over powered with the current power but drivers will be able to control that due to the lower G-levels.
Senna's fatal crash had nothing to do with too much HP, it was caused by the cars running so low to ground (without active ride control to control the ride height) then when his tires cooled down behind the safety car his car was completely bottoming out and he no longer had control over it and into the fence he went at high speed. (at hight speed his cars downforce literally pushed it into the ground and he became a passenger)
That has always been my opinion of what happened that day.

Sunday's incident was caused by Race Control not communicating its intentions clearly. If RC was calling in the SC for a photo opportunity it should have either ordered yellows to be waved so that everyone, including the crowd, knew what was happening. Or else it should have passed the word to the pit-wall that we were in for a stage managed finish for the cameras. Image boy's, think about the image. In the end F1 made itself look stupid again by demonstrating again that its participants do not understand the rules under which they are racing.
As it turns out, the Stewards were correct. By the letter of the confusing regulations, an offence was committed. I heard Ross's reasoning and thought that he had a good argument although it was ultimately wrong. My excuse is that it is not my job to know the rules.

I never liked the idea of moving the SC line. I read somewhere when the move was announced that someone described exactly what we saw on Sunday as being a possibility. A simple rule that moved the SC line back to the S/F line on the last lap would prevent this from happening again.

So many pages. So much indignation!
Williams and proud of it.

WhiteBlue

djos wrote:

With all due respect I think you are missing the point here. 1994 was much more than Senna's death. You also had Lehto, Ratzenberger, Alesi, Wendlinger, Barichello, Lamy and Montermini having fatal or near fatal accidents in the space of three months. The problem wasn't power per se but the loss of control over the power that went with the ban of all the electronic driver aids. Launch control, auto drive height, ABS, traction control, active suspension and a bunch of other things were banned over night and the cars had too much power for the drivers to deal with this.
Wikipedia wrote:With more horsepower than 1993 but with less in car stability some observers at the time (most notably Ayrton Senna) stated that they believed 1994 would "be a season with lots of accidents".
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

WhiteBlue

autogyro wrote:I take it that most people do not believe Alonso crashed because of any aero rear wing issue then.
Why did the car crash?
He simply lost the car under braking. He immediately confirmed after the shunt that it was his fault. Go back to page ten to Miguel's post and you will find it.

viewtopic.php?p=169477#p169477

There are also pics that show how the right front wheel hub was smashed into the tub by the armco, penetrated the tub and caused damage to the carbon fibre skin. It was something they could not repair.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

timbo
timbo

autogyro wrote:I take it that most people do not believe Alonso crashed because of any aero rear wing issue then.
Why did the car crash?
He understeered out of that corner. Not the thing you'd expect from rear wing aero issue, right?

I think he tried his aggressive turn in, but the tyres were not ready.