Officine Alfieri Maserati
|Based in: Bologna (1926-37), Modena (1937 to date)|
Founded: 1914 (active 1950-1960)
Principal: Adolfo & Omer Orsi
Alfieri Maserati (1887-1932) started building cars at his Bologna engineering firm back in 1926; the business also included his brothers Bindo, Ettore and Ernesto. In 1937, Maserati was sold to the Orsi family, and the remaining brothers stayed in a consulting role until returning to Bologna to form OSCA.
Maserati was a leading light in the 50s scene and produced one of the greatest cars of the era in the 250F. The factory team withdrew at the end of 1957, but the name returned later as an engine supplier to the Cooper team. The Milano and Plate cars were early refinements of Maserati chassis, separate from the factory. The company is still building classic road cars.
|Car designation||Race years|
|Maserati 4CLT/48 Sanremo||1950|
|Maserati 4CLT/50 Milano||1950|
|Maserati 4CL||1950 - 1951|
|Maserati A6GCM||1952 - 1956|
|Maserati 250F||1954 - 1960|