Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SectorOne

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

It´s from the onboard and not the shot the camera blends into.
Also it´s worth noting that if they originated from the front wing you should see some more at or close to the source.

And finally, sparks even though it´s wet? I´ve not found a picture yet of an F1 car in the wet creating sparks.
If anyone has one post it please.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Hail22

In my humble opinion it looks like an internal spark / discharge, take a look at the small round gap between nicos left hand / glove and the driver insert...the spark squeezes through that small gap / hole.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Powershift

Blackout wrote:Image
Is the rollhoop airbox stopping at the red horizontal line? maybe one of the coolers is lying there.
Yeah, that is my take, I think the intercooler is in that rollhoop air box maybe, and the radiator in the side pod is not the intercooler as the press pack would have you assume but a water or oil radiator.
Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that. Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.-Ayrton Senna

Owen.C93

Ok so this is what I think Mercedes are doing. We heard from scarbs that they are running an air to water intercooler which matches what we've seen in the sidepods (standard rads). This means that they run extra large radiators but only need 2 with much less plumbing. If you look at these 2 pictures you can see that A the compressor exits towards the right (in gold) whilst the oil tank is packaged to the left and B they run a fuel tank that is asymetrical with more space in the left hand sidepod (to the right of the images we've seen so far).
This space is where I believe the intercooler is placed, I have drawn some arrows on this pic to show where the hot air from the compressor comes out (matches well with the engine pic) and then we can see where it goes into the engine air box.
To give a sense of scale this is the Ferrari intercooler setup, seems round about the right size.

Let me know what you think.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

bill shoe

Owen, yea that must be it. You done figured it out.

The lower 60% of the roll-hoop air intake is for the engine (turbo compressor) intake. That duct expands to a large longitudinal dimension at the double red tape. That is the split between upper and lower duct, and it's also where the air filter is housed. The need for an air filter explains the seemingly odd expansion and contraction we see in both the Mercedes and Renault air intake ducts (don't remember corresponding pics of Ferrari). The upper 40% of the roll hoop intake is for conventional cooling of misc stuff like transmission, engine oil, KERS, whatever.

Powershift

I don't think so, I have never seen post turbo air temps as high as water rad temps so there is no way you could cool the pressurised turbo air with water from the radiators that also cools the engine, just no way, now if it is a discreet system separate from the engine cooling system then yes but that would be less efficient than just cooling with ambient air.
Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that. Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.-Ayrton Senna

Owen.C93

Yeah they would probably run it on a separate loop from the engine. Maybe the rad is sectioned off or maybe they cool all the ERS systems with that loops and it wouldn't be so bad.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Powershift

Owen.C93 wrote:Yeah they would probably run it on a separate loop from the engine. Maybe the rad is sectioned off or maybe they cool all the ERS systems with that loops and it wouldn't be so bad.
I think they are running an Air to Air intercooler inside the V of the engine that is fed by the air box and exhausts over the TERS and turbine(cooling them somewhat) and then that air feeds into the gearbox cooler

ncassi22

http://images.adrivo.com/images/950/q_8 ... 563971.jpg

Is it me or does the higher crash structure(CS) allow then to do a mini double diffuser. Notice the shape underneath it. Other teams also use the CS to pull air upwards in this region however this seams to be the most aggressive? Force India comes closest.

siskue2005

SectorOne wrote:Sparks flying from the car.

http://i.imgur.com/rvUiZVa.gif
That is not sparks, it is the reflection of the light from the circuit
Could be the light marshaling system

Those lights are solid lights, but due to the curvature of the side protection it is distorted

Joie de vivre

any news about Hamiltons car?

Powershift

Joie de vivre wrote:any news about Hamiltons car?
one cylinder down, no mention if it was a misfire, or fuel issue or if mechanical which could deem the engine unusable.

Joie de vivre

tnx, just heard he was driving v5 lol. just shame ... :(

BorisTheBlade

They clearly said they wanted to save the engine. So I guess it's a precautionary measure in order to not totally destroy it.

Joie de vivre

if they fix the engine will they get penalty?