Adrian Newey Leaves Red Bull Racing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Adrian Newey Leaves Red Bull Racing

CHT wrote:
15 May 2024, 15:39
Alex Albon just sign a multi year contract with Williams, perhaps AN might end up there after his short break from F1?
Anywhere but Ferrari, eh? :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

CHT
CHT

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 May 2024, 18:13
CHT wrote:
Alex Albon just sign a multi year contract with Williams, perhaps AN might end up there after his short break from F1?
If AN ever go back to Williams, he will likely be a part team owner rather than an employee or some vague consultant operating in some Island or Villa in Tuscany.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

CHT wrote:
16 May 2024, 00:49
Just_a_fan wrote:
CHT wrote:
If AN ever go back to Williams, he will likely be a part team owner rather than an employee or some vague consultant operating in some Island or Villa in Tuscany.
But he doesn't need the financial risk or the hassle of being an owner, and an owner doesn't get to do the tech stuff which is the bit that Newey likes. So going to Williams as a part owner is likely less appealing than going to Ferrari as a consultant doing a few days a month for silly money.

CHT
CHT

Just_a_fan wrote:
16 May 2024, 01:09
CHT wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

But he doesn't need the financial risk or the hassle of being an owner, and an owner doesn't get to do the tech stuff which is the bit that Newey likes. So going to Williams as a part owner is likely less appealing than going to Ferrari as a consultant doing a few days a month for silly money.
AN has already accomplished the impossible record-breaking task as CTO with the RB19 and Max in 2023, there is really nothing left in F1 for AN to accomplish as CTO or designer. And that record is likely to remain in history for very very long time.

However to be a co-owner of a team that is something totally different. Being a tech genius, AN doesnt really need to put money into the pot because his contribution will be from technical side of things and investors will pour in money because they know with AN technical knowledge, Williams could possible starts winning races in a couple of years, and the value of team will grow exponentially. And AN is there to enjoy the windfall, not salary.

Going to Ferrari and wearing red is just fanciful and trendy and for AN there is no possibility to challenge himself to repeat RB19 achievement due to his age. And as I said many times before, the timing for AN to join Ferrari is just not right and AN himself has already said that he will take a break after leaving RB in Q12025.

I think it's better to pay more attention to what AN says instead of those spin doctors who are trying to create news and stories out of thin air.

From what I heard so far, OBE AN is cunning and untruthful guy, who is tempted by fame and gold, and a master at deceiving RB about early retirement and secretly sign a deal to switch to Ferrari in 2025 without anyone knowing because Ferrari offer AN a villa and island in Italy so he can work remotely as consultant?

That is just too far fetch and degrading for a person like AN

Watto
Watto

There is nothing dodgy or deceitful or underhanded if he goes to Ferrari, or any other F1 team for that matter.

Even if he knew he was going to Ferrari its more than likely anyway that its kept quite until they both want to announce it

As for Neweys' take some time off, I've got no doubt thats true. But its a pretty standard line if someone is negotiation with another team confidentiality clauses and tbh Newey isn't really one that lines a pubic facing role.

Williams may be an outside change but I doubt it too much work for him its probably 5+ years work for him to turn them around as per when he joined Red Bull. The attractioin may be to return to where it all began and maybe a token ownership but I doubt he wants the stress as a team owner, meeting, and general business side to have too much a stake particularly as his age the risk isn't really needed.

Horner's description of Newey pretty much has him as a consultant anyway. float around RBR and get as involved as much or as little as he wants in the F1 car. i'd think he would need the same license where ever he goes - if he goes anyway. I think the appeal of Ferrari would be that is currently being very well run by Fred. And Adrian is also at a stage in life where if he makes a move there the appeal of designing a WC Ferarri that he could just as quickly walk away retire completely from F1 and not care be financially set do as he pleases. He may also think Ferraris technical team now is stronger than previous attempts Ferrari had where he felt it w as too big a task. Particularly with the pressures of Ferrari

CHT
CHT

Watto wrote:
16 May 2024, 08:39
There is nothing dodgy or deceitful or underhanded if he goes to Ferrari, or any other F1 team for that matter.

Even if he knew he was going to Ferrari its more than likely anyway that its kept quite until they both want to announce it

As for Neweys' take some time off, I've got no doubt thats true. But its a pretty standard line if someone is negotiation with another team confidentiality clauses and tbh Newey isn't really one that lines a pubic facing role.

Williams may be an outside change but I doubt it too much work for him its probably 5+ years work for him to turn them around as per when he joined Red Bull. The attractioin may be to return to where it all began and maybe a token ownership but I doubt he wants the stress as a team owner, meeting, and general business side to have too much a stake particularly as his age the risk isn't really needed.

Horner's description of Newey pretty much has him as a consultant anyway. float around RBR and get as involved as much or as little as he wants in the F1 car. i'd think he would need the same license where ever he goes - if he goes anyway. I think the appeal of Ferrari would be that is currently being very well run by Fred. And Adrian is also at a stage in life where if he makes a move there the appeal of designing a WC Ferarri that he could just as quickly walk away retire completely from F1 and not care be financially set do as he pleases. He may also think Ferraris technical team now is stronger than previous attempts Ferrari had where he felt it w as too big a task. Particularly with the pressures of Ferrari
Do you have example of someone in F1 who have walk the path that you just mentioned?

Watto
Watto

CHT wrote:
16 May 2024, 09:34
Watto wrote:
16 May 2024, 08:39

Do you have example of someone in F1 who have walk the path that you just mentioned?
In F1 specifically not exactly the same but in other sports seen very similar all too often, coaches quit a successful side citing being burnt out and so on and are back in it again with another side in no time, it wouldn’t be even the slightest bit surprising if that’s the path Newey was going to take. I’m not say for certain he is going too just the tactic isn’t uncommon in the slightest- even Marko recently speculated maybe Ferrari etc

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

CHT wrote:
16 May 2024, 01:30
Just_a_fan wrote:
CHT wrote:

AN has already accomplished the impossible record-breaking task as CTO with the RB19 and Max in 2023, there is really nothing left in F1 for AN to accomplish as CTO or designer. And that record is likely to remain in history for very very long time.

However to be a co-owner of a team that is something totally different. Being a tech genius, AN doesnt really need to put money into the pot because his contribution will be from technical side of things and investors will pour in money because they know with AN technical knowledge, Williams could possible starts winning races in a couple of years, and the value of team will grow exponentially. And AN is there to enjoy the windfall, not salary.

Going to Ferrari and wearing red is just fanciful and trendy and for AN there is no possibility to challenge himself to repeat RB19 achievement due to his age. And as I said many times before, the timing for AN to join Ferrari is just not right and AN himself has already said that he will take a break after leaving RB in Q12025.

I think it's better to pay more attention to what AN says instead of those spin doctors who are trying to create news and stories out of thin air.

From what I heard so far, OBE AN is cunning and untruthful guy, who is tempted by fame and gold, and a master at deceiving RB about early retirement and secretly sign a deal to switch to Ferrari in 2025 without anyone knowing because Ferrari offer AN a villa and island in Italy so he can work remotely as consultant?

Honestly, it seems from your posts that you're just desperate for Newey not to go to Ferrari. Anything, anywhere, but not Ferrari.

CHT
CHT

Just_a_fan wrote:
16 May 2024, 10:14
CHT wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Honestly, it seems from your posts that you're just desperate for Newey not to go to Ferrari. Anything, anywhere, but not Ferrari.
AN will be 66 when he leave RB. He has got a younger wife, a nice home in South Africa and UK, a niceb Oyster sailing boat, garage full of racing cars. He doesn't come across as a person who has got nothing to do outside F1 and for a person at his age every available time becomes very precious. So its is unlikely for him to indulge in things which are meaningless, such as seeking employment in a new F1 team and hoping to add one championship to his name.

The time to join Ferrari has passed, if it was important to him it would have happen during the period when RB was struggling and when he was younger, not when they are dominating.

During his time at RB, he must have amassed over 100 million over the 18 years. With so much accomplishment and wealth, why would he want to work for anyone and report to a new boss in Italy?

What I said about Williams is different, because if the opportunity arise to become team owner to rebuilt the UK brand, he may actually do it for himself and for the British pride. Who know, maybe he will receive his knighthood after retirement.

Beside Ferrari, there is also Aston Martin because of Alonso, Merc because Jos and Max is joining, etc. But the one on Ferrari is the strongest, perhaps many people are hoping AN will help Lewis will win another championship

Luscion
Luscion

Newey saying he'll have a bit of a holiday and probably go again

https://racingnews365.com/newey-hints-a ... -bull-exit

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

CHT wrote:
16 May 2024, 11:49
Just_a_fan wrote:
16 May 2024, 10:14
CHT wrote:

AN will be 66 when he leave RB. He has got a younger wife, a nice home in South Africa and UK, a niceb Oyster sailing boat, garage full of racing cars. He doesn't come across as a person who has got nothing to do outside F1 and for a person at his age every available time becomes very precious. So its is unlikely for him to indulge in things which are meaningless, such as seeking employment in a new F1 team and hoping to add one championship to his name.

The time to join Ferrari has passed, if it was important to him it would have happen during the period when RB was struggling and when he was younger, not when they are dominating.

During his time at RB, he must have amassed over 100 million over the 18 years. With so much accomplishment and wealth, why would he want to work for anyone and report to a new boss in Italy?

What I said about Williams is different, because if the opportunity arise to become team owner to rebuilt the UK brand, he may actually do it for himself and for the British pride. Who know, maybe he will receive his knighthood after retirement.

Beside Ferrari, there is also Aston Martin because of Alonso, Merc because Jos and Max is joining, etc. But the one on Ferrari is the strongest, perhaps many people are hoping AN will help Lewis will win another championship
He has said that he's looking at having a bit of a rest and then going at it again in F1. So it looks like he's going to be around the sport for some time to come.

Going to Williams isn't going to put them back at the top of the podium, not in any meaningful timescale anyway. SO why go there and appear unable to design a winning car?

Max isn't going to Mercedes - he likes easy wins (he's said this publicly) and going there isn't going to be either easy or winning.

Vanja #66

Luscion wrote:
16 May 2024, 12:36

Feels like a big pivot after his first statements. Next contract already signed?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Vanja #66 wrote:
16 May 2024, 13:32

Feels like a big pivot after his first statements. Next contract already signed?
IF he's signed already, we should know about it this weekend.

Luscion
Luscion

Vanja #66 wrote:
16 May 2024, 13:32
Luscion wrote:
16 May 2024, 12:36

Possibly, the fact that he made sure his gardening leave would allow him to join a new team early 2025 always gave me the indication he wasn't done

gastonmazzacane

Some particular user is gonna be very dissapointed seeing AN in red :)