COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
3jawchuck
3jawchuck

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Wouter wrote:
03 May 2020, 10:04
Good news. We need a medicine asap . A vaccine takes too long and doesn't work 100%, maybe 25-50%.
Pharming reports encouraging results from use of RUCONEST® in COVID-19 patients
Pharming announces encouraging results from five patients with confirmed COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) infections hospitalised with related severe pneumonia that were treated with RUCONEST® (recombinant human C1 inhibitor) under a compassionate use program at the University Hospital Basel, Switzerland.
Five hospitalised patients with confirmed COVID-19 infections administered RUCONEST® under compassionate use program to treat the related severe pneumonia
Multinational, randomized controlled, investigator-initiated study with up to 150 patients planned
Four male patients and one female patient (between 53-85 years of age) with COVID-19 and suffering from related severe pneumonia, who did not improve despite standard treatment, including hydroxychloroquine and lopinavir/ritonavir, were administered RUCONEST® at an initial dose of 8400 U, followed by 4200 U every 12 hours for three additional doses. No allergic reactions or drug related adverse events were reported.
Following treatment with RUCONEST®, fever resolved in four of the five patients within 48 hours, and laboratory markers of inflammation decreased significantly (CRP, IL-6). Soon thereafter, the patients were discharged from the hospital as fully recovered. One patient had increased oxygen requirement and was temporarily transferred to the ICU for intubation, but over the subsequent days recovered and was released from the ICU.
Following these initial results, a multinational, randomized, controlled, investigator-initiated clinical trial with up to 150 patients with confirmed COVID-19 infections, requiring hospitalisation due to significant COVID-19 related symptoms is planned. The study will be led by Dr. Michael Osthoff, University Hospital Basel, Switzerland.
Although this is an uncontrolled, small treatment experience, the results demonstrate the potential effectiveness of using RUCONEST® as an anti-inflammatory approach to inhibit the complement and contact systems after SARS-CoV-2 infection.
- Dr Michael Osthoff, University of Basel
https://www.pharming.com/nl/node/185
There's also somewhat promising results with Remdesivir and Favipiravir.

Many vaccines in development and at an unprecedented rate: https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/05 ... al-trials/
There is of course a risk that fast tracking any vaccine could lead to unpleasant unintended consequences.

With RUCONEST, watch out if you have an allergy to rabbits :)
"Contraindications: Known or suspected allergy to rabbits or rabbit-derived products. Known hypersensitivity to any of the components of the product."

nzjrs

Wouter wrote:
Good news. We need a medicine asap . A vaccine takes too long and doesn't work 100%, maybe 25-50%.

That's a bit too much of a press release from a pharma company promoting one of their products for my liking. Also a crazy small sample....
3jawchuck wrote:
03 May 2020, 10:33

"Contraindications: Known or suspected allergy to rabbits or rabbit-derived products. Known hypersensitivity to any of the components of the product."
That's so weird, while many vaccines are produced in chicken eggs, I wasn't aware of large scale production of vaccines in rabbits. If one makes an antibody in rabbit it's usually processed to remove the rabbit host material and this the potential of allergic response. That's a weird disclaimer.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

nzjrs wrote:
03 May 2020, 12:35
Wouter wrote:

That's a bit too much of a press release from a pharma company promoting one of their products for my liking. Also a crazy small sample....

Probably hoping Trump hears about it and touts it as the next miracle. Which would help their stock price, no doubt. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

toraabe
toraabe

Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Apr 2020, 22:32
toraabe wrote:
18 Apr 2020, 20:44
Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Apr 2020, 16:56

Are you talking about the Paul Ricard circuit? The circuit themselves say otherwise if you look at their site and what they list as tracks available.
https://www.circuitpaulricard.com/en/pa ... acilities/

Enough opportunities
They say themselves that they have 3 major layouts and two of those are teaching circuits.

Really, are you going to repeat this like you did the "ground effect" stuff?
At leat I got right regarding that topic😜

LM10
LM10

I'm especially curious about a drug's results which should be there in a couple of weeks. It's the only drug made to treat SARS (therefore also SARS-COV2) specifically. It's named APN01 and has two effects, of which one is to act like the ACE2 receptor (the receptor which the virus uses to enter the organs, the lungs in the first place) and bind the coronavirus - it functions like a sponge, if you like. The second effect is to reduce the lung inflammation.
All other current drugs in the world are some which are used in other diseases, but happen to have a positive effect in COVID19 patients too.

It was made by the team lead by austrian scientist Josef Penninger. Normally medicine takes much longer time to be developed than vaccines, but Josef Penninger found out how SARS works already in 2005 when there was the SARS outbreak.
Right now there is a phase 2 trial going on in Austria, Germany and Denmark. A cohort of 200 severely ill patients of which 100 got the drug for 7 days and for the following 3 weeks the outcome will be evaluated. If I'm not mistaken, 1 week is left and then the results will be analyzed. The trial is being financed by the austrian government.

By beginning of summer, we should have a clear picture of the effects of that drug and Josef Penninger himself has been quite optimistic.

Wouter

nzjrs wrote:
Wouter wrote:

3jawchuck wrote:

That's so weird, while many vaccines are produced in chicken eggs, I wasn't aware of large scale production of vaccines in rabbits. If one makes an antibody in rabbit it's usually processed to remove the rabbit host material and this the potential of allergic response. That's a weird disclaimer.
This isn't about a vaccine. It is about a medicine that has been used for many years and seems now to be very useful for the violent inflammation in the lungs.
The Power of Dreams!

nzjrs

Wouter wrote:
03 May 2020, 16:26
nzjrs wrote:
Wouter wrote:

3jawchuck wrote:

This isn't about a vaccine. It is about a medicine that has been used for many years and seems now to be very useful for the violent inflammation in the lungs.
I never misunderstood the treatment as a vaccine, that would be ridiculous (I'd already dismissed the press release) so I went and quoted two interesting and related points in one reply.

Live production (in rabbits) isn't reserved for vaccines, hence my point about antibodies being often produced there for other scientific purposes (like presuming from the allergy warning, RUCONEST).

strad

Weird that is the second and unrelated drug I have seen in resent days warning about not using is allergic to rabbits.
How would the average person know if they were allergic to rabbits?
Similar... Many drugs they advertise these days say "don't take if you are allergic to any of it's ingredients."
How would the average person with say psoriasis know if they are allergic to some ingredient in a new drug?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

strad wrote:
03 May 2020, 20:44

Similar... Many drugs they advertise these days say "don't take if you are allergic to any of it's ingredients."
That's just standard "you can't sue us because we warned you" stuff.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

strad wrote:
03 May 2020, 20:44
Weird that is the second and unrelated drug I have seen in resent days warning about not using is allergic to rabbits.
How would the average person know if they were allergic to rabbits?
How would the average person with say psoriasis know if they are allergic to some ingredient in a new drug?
I have a daughter with a severe soy allergy. We had to fight to get a full-panel allergy test when she was a baby, because her doctor didn't believe us when we explained her symptoms.

The panel test cost like $1300 (out of pocket because the doctor refused) , but WOW did it test for everything known to man!

And thankfully, it proved my suspicion of an unknown allergy, and according to her doctor, saved her life.

I always felt this type of test should be ubiquitous for our medical records. It would allow doctors to know so much more before prescribing the incorrect things (like my child's doctor prescribing a Soy baby formula🙄🙄).

Wouter

nzjrs wrote:
03 May 2020, 17:33
Wouter wrote:
03 May 2020, 16:26
nzjrs wrote:

I never misunderstood the treatment as a vaccine, that would be ridiculous (I'd already dismissed the press release) so I went and quoted two interesting and related points in one reply.

Live production (in rabbits) isn't reserved for vaccines, hence my point about antibodies being often produced there for other scientific purposes (like presuming from the allergy warning, RUCONEST).
Excuse me @nzjrs, then I misunderstood you.

Because you wrote: "That's so weird, while many vaccines are produced in chicken eggs, I wasn't aware of large scale production of vaccines in rabbits", I concluded that you thought they tested a vaccine on rabbits and not a medicine.

Worth knowing: "The medicine, the first approved C1-esterase inhibitor manufactured in recombinant form, is purified from the milk of transgenic rabbits."
The Power of Dreams!

nzjrs

Fair enough. The manufacture of antibodies or transgenic products for scientific purposes and indeed sometimes for production is an interesting off topic and not for the squeamish.

strad

That's just standard "you can't sue us because we warned you" stuff.
I understand that, but it doesn't change that since all of us have not had an intensive test for allergens, we still wind up developing anaphylactic shock.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

PlatinumZealot

There is a potion (yes a potion!) from Africa that has proven quite effective in treating Covid-19 according to the makers of it.So effective they exported a container load...

Everybody trying everything and I don't blame them.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Zynerji

PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 May 2020, 05:26
There is a potion (yes a potion!) from Africa that has proven quite effective in treating Covid-19 according to the makers of it. So effective they exported a container load...

Everybody trying everything and I don't blame them.
Having worked as a public facing manager for 20 years, I learned a trick a long time ago about how not to catch colds around sick people.

Nose breathing. It's amazing how well it has protected me over the years...