Speed TV drops F1 coverage

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
flyboy2160
flyboy2160

Re: Speed TV drops F1 coverage

Pup wrote:...Frankly, I can't stand the snarky, uninformed Speed commentators. Sure, NBC could be worse, but it could just as easily be better. I welcome the switch.
i don't know what snarky means, but i too hate the speed f1 crew so much that i don't listen to them as of this year: i watch the speed tv feed and listen to brundle and crofty on sky. i think i've heard the coulthard crew once and thought they were also much better than the speed crew.

varsha not only has a whiny voice, he, just like the master hypster john gruden on monday night football, hypes every race as "the one every driver wants to win" or "the most historic" or "crucial" or "the turning point." after listening to him since he started with speed, i've never heard him say "the drivers think this is a mickey mouse circuit."

hobbs is just too old. when did he last drive, if ever, in f1? 1960? before the big ground effect era? how can he professionally comment on driving a modern f1 car? brundle and coulthard and herbert and ant and hill have much, much better knowledge. and they don't rave on and on and on about the "klag" rubber buildup.

matchett is too geeky and he's not really an engineer. wasn't he a mechanic? he keeps going on and on about the sector times and guesses about car problems instead of getting facts.

compared to the sky on-site support guys (except for the lisping know-nothing woman) ant, herbert, hill, etc., will buxton sounds like the xyz generation version of the village idiot/talking head know nothing newshound/text phone surfer dude.

and hobbs, varsha, and matchett aren't even at the track!!! are they even in the same studio in atlanta or do they each watch at home?

i'm with pup: good riddance to them all. and if they don't leave, i still have the mute button. and yes, i know somebody here will quip back "and they will mute YOU!"

bhall
bhall

Ray wrote:I realize that, but I have no inclination they'll do anything but absolute bare bones, tape delayed crap riddled with commercials. If Fox couldn't do it, and they didn't, then I have very little hope for NBC or their subsidiaries. They after all showed who won events before they were tape delay aired from the Olympics, and Formula 1 has nowhere near the audience or commercial viability that the Olympics does. The only hope they have is ESPN3, but I don't know who owns ESPN, and their ALMS coverage is by far the worst broadcast of any sporting event I've ever seen. From severe and inexcusable audio dropouts (they played the audio from the very beginning of a race for 20 minutes after an hour and a half of racing before it was fixed), to commentators being way louder than race cars, ESPN3 coverage is barely tolerable. The only reason I suffered through it on ALMS race weekends is because they had Hindy and Jeremy Shaw commentating.
Since ESPN is owned by Disney, you have little to worry about on that front.

Not to say that it was successful by any means, but if NBC pushes F1 the way ABC pushed pre-merger IndyCar, their coverage will be better than Speed's by default. I've always gotten the impression that F1 is just something Speed airs in between copious quantities of everything NASCAR, low-budget, derivative reality programming, and infomercials thinly disguised as how-to shows.

Pup
Pup

Ray wrote:You're absolutely amazing, Pup.
Aww, shucks. :oops:

Ray

Pup wrote:
Ray wrote:You're absolutely amazing, Pup.
Aww, shucks. :oops:
Don't mention it! :lol: (sorry for being an ass)

Ray

flyboy2160 wrote:Varsha not only has a whiny voice, he, just like the master hypster john gruden on monday night football, hypes every race as "the one every driver wants to win" or "the most historic" or "crucial" or "the turning point." after listening to him since he started with speed, i've never heard him say "the drivers think this is a mickey mouse circuit."
Actually, he does say things like that. You just haven't listened to it enough, or at all, to hear him say that. No surprise really given everything else you say is wrong with him. He's much less worse (and better) than every British TV crew fawning over Lewis, and I couldn't stand listening to anything that James Allan was involved in. Even his website is full of that crap. After Kimi stopped being the front runner, he quit gobbing that knob and went over to Lewis. Every third word out of his mouth was "Lewis" and it was so annoying I wanted to reach through the TV and slap him.
flyboy2160 wrote:Hobbs is just too old. when did he last drive, if ever, in f1? 1960? before the big ground effect era? how can he professionally comment on driving a modern f1 car? brundle and coulthard and herbert and ant and hill have much, much better knowledge. and they don't rave on and on and on about the "klag" rubber buildup.
McLaren had him very high up on his list of best drivers they've ever employed, so I think he's very relevant. Besides, he's got more F1 (driving) experience than some of the BBC/Sky crew so I think his opinion is very valid. How many race cars have Kravitz, Thompson, Pinkham, Humphries and others driven? None. Not at that level anyway. By your logic about half of the BBC/Sky crews have no valid opinion either. Having a racer, no matter what age, is good for the fans because even though they may not be current, they at least have an understanding of what it takes to race them. His klag thing is a schtick that brings a little humor into the broadcast, I don't mind it because he's not annoying by being unfunny.
flyboy2160 wrote:Matchett is too geeky and he's not really an engineer. wasn't he a mechanic? he keeps going on and on about the sector times and guesses about car problems instead of getting facts.
I never thought I'd see someone say that having too much knowledge about a sport would be a bad thing. I've never watched any English broadcast that didn't have the commentators talking about sector times and the goings on of other drivers the entire time. That point has zero validity. He never claims (and never has claimed) to be an engineer, but I dare say unlike you he's on a first name basis with the vast majority of them in the pit lane. He knows what the cars are doing, what they are capable of, and what they are doing to make them work better. He's got more than enough reason to talk like he does, because he was lead mechanic for a WCC winning team, he's got no reason to back off talking about anything he does, he knows the ins and outs of those cars far better than you or I do.
flyboy2160 wrote:Compared to the sky on-site support guys (except for the lisping know-nothing woman) ant, herbert, hill, etc., will buxton sounds like the xyz generation version of the village idiot/talking head know nothing newshound/text phone surfer dude.
Will Buxton has been in the F1 paddock, and lower series, for many years. He's also the GP2 official commentator I think, he's not just some Joe Blow moron with a broadcasting degree brought in to fill a seat. He's not just some commentator that was switched from another sport within the Speed/Fox conglomerate. He knows what the hell he is talking about, and he's very good friends with quite a few of the drivers. Those friendships give him an inside look at the paddock, so I don't know where you get the idea he's just some "bro" with a microphone.
flyboy2160 wrote:and hobbs, varsha, and matchett aren't even at the track!!! are they even in the same studio in atlanta or do they each watch at home?
No, they aren't. Speed can't afford to send them all to each race to cover a sport that doesn't have a ton of commercial viability in the US that is broadcast at all hours of the night. They are all in the same studio in Charlotte NC. This has nothing to do with their knowledge of the sport, or their usefulness to broadcast the races in the US. Holding the fact they aren't sent to the races against them makes no sense, they do best with what they are given.
flyboy2160 wrote:i'm with pup: good riddance to them all. and if they don't leave, i still have the mute button. and yes, i know somebody here will quip back "and they will mute YOU!"
Personal preferences aside, the fact that you that don't like the Speed crew shows that you don't know a damn thing about any of them. You are just as ignorant of their credentials as Pup is, and they do a very good job with the limited budget and resources they are given. If you don't like them as people that's your prerogative, but calling them crap isn't justified with the reasons you give. They have far more experience in Formula 1 than you or I will likely ever have. Their professional credentials aren't in question at all.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Ray wrote:..

Personal preferences aside, the fact that you that don't like the Speed crew shows that you don't know a damn thing about any of them. You are just as ignorant of their credentials as Pup is, and they do a very good job with the limited budget and resources they are given...
No one offended you personally so there's no need to offend anyone either.

And I agree with the move away from Speed. It's getting worse day after day and I'll probably stick to live feeds as well because I won't tolerate more garbage from the American broadcasters. Although to be honest I don't plan on watching the dusk hour races from now on at all. Before Japan I hadn't even seen an FP or qualy in months because of the absurd hour, let alone a race.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Pup
Pup

*ahem*
NBC will air four races - the Canadian Grand Prix in June, and the final three races of the season in November - while the remaining 16 races will air on NBC Sports Network. All practice and qualifying sessions will also be on the cable station.

Miller said the intent is to broadcast everything live, but the network is working through a small number of scheduling conflicts. All 20 races will be live streamed on NBC Sports Group's live-stream platform.
http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268756/conten ... d=aA7HP7Oy

I would guess that the scheduling conflicts have to do with the local time zone races that they plan to show on their main channel.
Last edited by Pup on 15 Oct 2012, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.

turbof1

beardRage wrote:WHAT?! No, screw that! Provided I could get Sky, how much would it cost?
If you aren't so much in for paying, and aren't that picky on quality: there are streams online. Normally I would not advise people to do so, but this idiocity of hiding F1 behind pay TV is going too far.
#AeroFrodo

ecapox

Pup wrote:*ahem*
NBC will air four races - the Canadian Grand Prix in June, and the final three races of the season in November - while the remaining 16 races will air on NBC Sports Network. All practice and qualifying sessions will also be on the cable station.

Miller said the intent is to broadcast everything live, but the network is working through a small number of scheduling conflicts. All 20 races will be live streamed on NBC Sports Group's live-stream platform.
http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268756/conten ... d=aA7HP7Oy

I would guess that the scheduling conflicts have to do with the local time zone races that they plan to show on their main channel.
I stand pleasantly corrected.

Ray

They messed up before they even broadcast one minute of coverage. In their announcement, they wrongly identified Webber as Vettel. I rest my case. NBC coverage will be garbage.

Phillyred
Phillyred

The worst will be the tape delay so they can sell advertising time in a prime time spot.. It's so annoying having to stay off of social media sites like fbook/twitter, or just the internet news trying to avoid finding out the race outcome.

mzivtins
mzivtins

Ray wrote:They messed up before they even broadcast one minute of coverage. In their announcement, they wrongly identified Webber as Vettel. I rest my case. NBC coverage will be garbage.
Sounds about on par with Sky sports F1's crofty! :lol:

Ray

I'll give Crofty some slack, he's right more often than not, and calling a race isn't like a news story where you have time to do research. Making such an boneheaded mistake is unforgivable, especially when it's your debut announcement that you are covering the series for the first time in history. You'd think they'd be, you know, journalists and get it right. It's not like Webber changes his helmet every other race like Vettel does. That'd be like mixing up Lewis and Jenson.

The "scheduling conflicts" part is especially damning. Can't interrupt those "Cash for Gold" late night/early morning infomercials now can they? Idiots. :roll:

Ray

SeijaKessen

I watch the Sky TV feed with the Speed TV coverage on my TV just for the HD aspect.

I don't even listen to the US announcers as I prefer to listen to Brundle. Ray, Brundle alone is more entertaining to listen to than the Speed crew ever was for myself.

Anyway, I will reserve judgment on the broadcast product once we actually see it. To be quite honest, there are some good possibilities for the NBC coverage. The biggest one for me is if they can at a minimum do a splitscreen for commercial breaks so we do not miss anything. That was what made the Speed TV coverage rubbish...constantly breaking away for a bunch of idiot commercials for products I have zero interest in.