Silly Season 2013/14

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
kooleracer
kooleracer

Re: Silly Season 2013/14

I you look at the current F1 grid, there a lot of drivers on merit on the grid to be frank. There are only 2 drivers in my eyes that shouldn' t in F1 those are Marcus Ericsson and Max Chilton. Lets say there was achievement required to get your super license, with the following requirements: Win GP3, F3, Renault 2.0 eurocup or finish in top 3 in GP2 or WSR 3.5. Only those 2 drivers wouldn't be allowed on the grid. Those requirement are fair, it would be great if the FIA and the F1 Teams would enforce should are rule to safeguard the level of competition in F1. Its no coincidence that Chilton got his ass whooped by Bianchi because he just lacks talent. Maybe make it even stricter by saying two titles in F3, GP3 or Renault 2.0 to get the super license. Or 1 title in F3, GP3 or Renault 2.0 Eurocup plus a top 3 in GP2 or WSR 3.5, or to get your super license. With one exception that half of the drivers and half of the teams giving permission if some team wants to bring some in with exceptional talent, that hasn't made the requirements.

With these rules the following drivers would not have made it (not counting older driver because those classes did not exist then):
Ericsson
Chilton
Perez ( would need permission form other teams/drivers to join F1,but that would no be a problem because of his second place in GP2).

But Chilton and Ericsson both would need permission and I don't think they would get it because of the poor record in the junior categories.

So is F1 littered with pay drivers yes, but the conclusion is those pay drivers have earned there stripes. Are there better drivers out there that could do a better job that is whole other question. But before i started to dig in the to drivers I thought that a lot of drivers are in F1 on merit. Because of all those media coverage about pay drivers etc. But if you take a serious look most drivers have earned their spot in the grid. Maldonado has won a race of merit, Perez had a outstanding rookie season, Gutierrez won the GP3 and finished top 3 in GP2. Bottas has won Master of Formula 3 2 times won the Renault 2.0 and the GP3. So a lot of people are talking about pay drivers but in 2014 there are 2 real pay drivers that would never get in F1 on merit on those are Max Chilton and Marcus Ericsson. Of course we want to see real talent like Frijns, Vandoorne, Nasr
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

CHT
CHT

dren wrote:
CHT wrote:Honda needs a local hero as much as Mclaren needs Honda engine.
Button is actually quite popular with the Japanese. If Magnussen is another Hamilton, I don't see Mclaren getting rid of either driver for 2015.
I dont expect Magnussen to get the same kind of firework reception and popularity as Hamilton even if he is as quick or quicker than Button because beating Button, although a WDC, will not be as big of a news compare to beating Alonso consistently throughout the season. More over, it will be hard to believe that the British fans will be happy to have Magnussen beating their home hero Button in a Mclaren either. Though Button is popular in Japan, but it will never be as big as having Kamui driving for Honda

SectorOne

You know a person loves racing Formula 1 cars when they make these sort of statements.
"I'm driving for free, it is my decision,"
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112216
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Richard
Richard

It's more than that, he's swapped a paid job to become a pay driver. He's bringing a million to the table as well as giving away his salary.

I wonder what value is used as contribution in kind in the tax accounts?

CHT
CHT

richard_leeds wrote:It's more than that, he's swapped a paid job to become a pay driver. He's bringing a million to the table as well as giving away his salary.

I wonder what value that is given as contribution in kind in the tax accounts?
Any idea who is/are his sponsor?

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

CHT wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:It's more than that, he's swapped a paid job to become a pay driver. He's bringing a million to the table as well as giving away his salary.

I wonder what value that is given as contribution in kind in the tax accounts?
Any idea who is/are his sponsor?
Kinshukai group - a large group of hospitals in Japan. They're his main sponsor
http://www.kinshukai.or.jp/kinshukai/

they're no stranger in motorsport sponsoring, being the main sponsor of R'Qs Motorsports of the SuperGT series in 2012.

GoodSmile Company a company selling a variety of products, mainly for 'collector/toy' purposes.
http://www.goodsmile.info/

and

AREN - A real estate broker/agent company [for the wealthy].
http://www.aren.jp/

btw his Driver number in F1 is #10
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ThumbsUp
ThumbsUp

Manoah2u wrote:As for frijns, yeah, he seems to have great talent. His problem is his management and his own ego/mind. He could've driven for RedBull. Hell, if he's really that a talent, he might have seated next to Vettel this year if he got a drive last year or walked the path they walked with Ricciardo. But he didn't, he let that [golden] opportunity go to waste - though there's some reason there if you look at what happened to Alguersuari and co.
What i find tricky to think of for VdGarde is that frijns left Sauber because he wouldn't get a drive there, and eyes Caterham. So frijns and vdgarde seem to switch directions. weird.

we'll see. If caterham pulls out after a meager year, same for marussia, or if they 'merge' with another team, then you lose 3 spots all at once each team, that's 6 seats to fill with 4 race seats.
With the ego and management part I do agree with you. But Frijns never left Sauber, they got rid of him for Sirotkin. Robin Frijns is trying to get there only with his skills he doesn't have any money. Thats why he didn't got to do testing with Sauber. Giedo van der Garde is paying for testing. And Catherham says that they believe in the skills/talent of Robin Frijns

xDama
xDama

You have to give it to Caterham for their line-up. I do not know what to expect of Ericsson, and I'm very doubtfull about him, but Kobayashi is a great racer and Frijns absolutely needs to be in F1.
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

iotar__

ThumbsUp wrote: With the ego and management part I do agree with you. But Frijns never left Sauber, they got rid of him for Sirotkin. Robin Frijns is trying to get there only with his skills he doesn't have any money. Thats why he didn't got to do testing with Sauber. Giedo van der Garde is paying for testing. And Catherham says that they believe in the skills/talent of Robin Frijns
What exactly did they do after believing in his talent? They hired Ericsson instead, how is that different to Sauber? Reserve driver in the worst F1 team is better than nothing but not by much. Plus as sites called it "threat" of leaving after 2014. Why threat? If creator and person responsible for team's achievements wants to leave - it's a decision. Of course he's right about financial aspect but the rest is his, you can't separate yourself and wait for miracle. Now similarly nonsensical headlines shout about "evil pay driver" Ericsson :o

Since it rather belongs here: going back to subject of weight, Bottas: "Due to the new regulations I’ve had to squeeze a bit off my weight, so the training was longer than normal". Good thing F1 dealt with it in regular, mature fashion by doing nothing and talking about nonsense - numbers and double points. I like Domenicali's "teams bring weight because of competitive (dis)advantage" So what, everything in F1 is, you don't want to change because of your advantage, it doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist.

zeph
zeph

Eric Boullier is set to become McLaren's new Formula 1 team principal after quitting the Lotus team.

Following intense speculation about plans for McLaren following Ron Dennis's review of the organisation, Boullier has resigned from his position as Lotus F1 team principal with immediate effect.

The Frenchman, who has done an impressive job at Lotus despite financial constraints, is now favourite to land the role at McLaren.

Lotus has confirmed that its owner Gerard Lopez will be its new team principal for 2014, and will share responsibility for running the outfit with co-chairman Andrew Ruhan.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112254

Wow, Lotus is really bleeding talent. Allison, Raikkonen, and now Boullier...who have they got left?!?

If they continue to do well this season, I'll consider that a miracle.

Gridlock

I'd wager resigning with immediate effect isn't something one can do unless another party is already in breach of some part of your contract...

Sad days for Enstone, it seems.

I'll miss Eric's personality, after he's assimilated.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Gridlock wrote:I'd wager resigning with immediate effect isn't something one can do unless another party is already in breach of some part of your contract...

Sad days for Enstone, it seems.

I'll miss Eric's personality, after he's assimilated.
well, i wouldn't be surprised if he didn't get paid either and because of that there might be a breach of contract, so he can
choose whatever he want, if that's what's in the clauses. could be all sorts of things. He could've gotten a better offer, he could bail a sinking ship, he could've had enough of the management [Genii], he could simply just want to stop, he might just as well be getting the boot because of some internal issue, he might just as well get the boot because of sponsorship deals demanding things..........
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

zeph
zeph

Looks like it's official:
McLaren signs ex-Lotus F1 boss Eric Boullier as racing director
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112337

I am beginning to wonder whether Lotus will be ready in time for Oz.

stefan_
stefan_

Meanwhile, in the Romanian press, David Ricciardo joins Red Bull Racing.

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

djos

stefan_ wrote:Meanwhile, in the Romanian press, David Ricciardo joins Red Bull Racing.
I wonder if they know about the cold war being over?

:lol:
"In downforce we trust"