Silly Season 2013/14

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
User avatar
Websta
14
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:18 pm

Re: Who will replace Webber at Redbull?

Post

The RBR young driver program is to find the next Vettel, not really to hone and develop the skills of young drivers. If Vergne or Ricciardo really show that sort of potential then they should expect to get promoted, but I think Red Bull would be better off going after Hulkenburg or Massa if the two STR drivers do not jump off the paper after 2 seasons.

I think Chilton might be flattering Bianchi a little, but I definitely expect Bianchi to be around a long time. But to promote him to an RBR seat after 1 season at Marussia would be incredibly risky and not a good idea, unless he really shows something other than the ability to outpace Max Chilton and Caterhams. Remember, Findia chose the more expensive Sutil over Bianchi after seeing both of them in the car in Winter Testing.
Last edited by Websta on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mnmracer
36
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:41 pm

Re: Who will replace Webber at Redbull?

Post

Websta wrote:The RBR young driver program is to find the next Vettel, not really to hone and develop the skills of young drivers. If Vergne or Ricciardo really show that sort of potential then they should expect to get promoted, but I think Red Bull would be better off going after Hulkenburg or Massa if the two STR drivers do not jump off the paper after 2 seasons.

I think Chilton might be flattering Bianchi a little, but I definitely expect Bianchi to be around a long time. But to promote him to an RBR seat after 1 season at Marussia would be incredibly risky and not a good idea, unless he really shows something other than the ability to outpace Max Chilton and Caterhams.
True.

How about
- Hülkenberg to RB.
- Bianchi to TR through the Ferrari engines.
- Da Costa to TR through RB jr.

User avatar
Hail22
252
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:22 am

Re: Who will replace Webber at Redbull?

Post

mnmracer wrote:
Websta wrote:
True.

How about
- Hülkenberg to RB.
- Bianchi to TR through the Ferrari engines.
- Da Costa to TR through RB jr.
Bianchi has already been slatted as driver of the future for Ferrari compared to Perez, So I wouldn't put my beans on him for a TR seat...depending on how Massa performs this year he may see himself next to Alonso.

Also the rumour mill is running hot that Ferrari will be dropping TR as a client, Watch this space.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

User avatar
Websta
14
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:18 pm

Re: Who will replace Webber at Redbull?

Post

I could see Mitch Evans being one of the next Toro Rosso drivers, although probably not next years new batch. He isn't apart of the Red Bull young driver's program, but he is racing for Arden International (founded/managed by Horner) in the GP2 series and is Mark Webber's protégé. He is also only 18 years old and already has been impressive in GP3 and is showing promise in GP2. But hopefully they don't rush him into F1 - just ask Alguersuari how that works out for you. I would probably rate Evans as having more potential than Da Costa

User avatar
FrukostScones
193
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 4:41 pm
Location: European Union

Re: Who will replace Webber at Redbull?

Post

DeLaRosa wrote:If Webber gets replaced I think Daniel Ricciardo will fill in his seat. Otherwise, why would Red Bull use a driver programme?
yeah, but I can't see how Ricciardo is better than Buemi apart from looks.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Nando
Nando
12
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:30 am

Re: Who will replace Webber at Redbull?

Post

or Vergne. I cant see all the hype behind Ricciardo at all frankly.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

CBeck113
CBeck113
104
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: Who will replace Webber at Redbull?

Post

Websta wrote: Remember, Findia chose the more expensive Sutil over Bianchi after seeing both of them in the car in Winter Testing.
Sutil = Mercedes , Bianci = Ferrari

http://t.co/oevftk6M8W

That is why FI chose Sutil, no other.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

User avatar
SiLo
92
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: Who will replace Webber at Redbull?

Post

I thought Vettel is most likely going to Ferrari next year? 2 seats to fill at Red Bull?
Felipe Baby!

User avatar
Websta
14
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:18 pm

Re: Who will replace Webber at Redbull?

Post

CBeck113 wrote:
Websta wrote: Remember, Findia chose the more expensive Sutil over Bianchi after seeing both of them in the car in Winter Testing.
Sutil = Mercedes , Bianci = Ferrari

http://t.co/oevftk6M8W

That is why FI chose Sutil, no other.
I am not really convinced - it didn't stop FI signing him (or Ferrari allowing him to serve) as reserve driver and giving him 9 practise sessions in 2012. I don't see how a race seat would have been really much different.

Edit: Sutil isn't more expensive though, that was a mistake

CBeck113
CBeck113
104
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: Who will replace Webber at Redbull?

Post

FI showed interest in Ferrari engines for 2014, hence the flirt with Bianci. Choosing Sutil for a race seat helped reduce the price for the new Mercedes engines. And, to get back to the topic, TR would like to switch to Renault engines for more "legal" synergies with RBR, so Bianci will most likely have to wait for Massa's seat, and will not replace Mark at RBR.
Kubica, on the other hand, would do just about anything to show that he can drive F1 again, so a simple one year contract as the clear #2 would work for both parties...
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Glyn
Glyn
5
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:25 pm

Re: Who will replace Webber at Redbull?

Post

If Vettel stays at Red Bull, I would like to see Raikkonen replace Mark Webber.

I think this is the only driver who can work well with Vettel. And also bring in the points. And Adrian Newey would have to stay.

chepoi
chepoi
-4
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:35 am
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Re: Who will replace Webber at Redbull?

Post

to many fanboy opinion. hope that the moderator delete all of it. don't just choosing one fella than the other one fella...

User avatar
raymondu999
157
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:31 am

Re: Who will replace Webber at Redbull?

Post

chepoi wrote:to many fanboy opinion. hope that the moderator delete all of it. don't just choosing one fella than the other one fella...
What do you think the point of silly season threads are?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

astracrazy
astracrazy
56
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:04 pm

Re: Who will replace Webber at Redbull?

Post

Glyn wrote:If Vettel stays at Red Bull, I would like to see Raikkonen replace Mark Webber.

I think this is the only driver who can work well with Vettel. And also bring in the points. And Adrian Newey would have to stay.
as i've said on the page before - will never happen

The best for Red Bull and Vettel would to find a perfect number 2. Not someone whos gonna challenge Vettel but someone who accepts his 2nd best (for the time being anyway) which is why a driver from TR would suit

Kubica could happen, but a big risk - not one i'd expect RB to take though. Someone further down the field i could see happening

bhall
bhall
370
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:26 pm

Re: Who will replace Webber at Redbull?

Post

chepoi wrote:to many fanboy opinion. hope that the moderator delete all of it. don't just choosing one fella than the other one fella...
+2