Silly Season 2013/14

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Mika1
Mika1

Re: Who will replace Webber at Redbull?

mnmracer wrote:
CHT wrote:Kimi is definitely a good marketing icon for Red Bull drinks and it will also be a good back up plan for RBR if Vettel leaves.

A Kimi Vettel team will be great and I can definitely see them working well together. And more importantly, RBR will be able to afford it.
Didn't Kimi have Red Bull backing in NASCAR and Rally?
The boss follows me on twitter.

Websta

If I am not mistaken, it was the Citroen Junior Rally team that Kimi raced for which had the Red Bull sponsorship and not Kimi Raikkonen specifically.

raymondu999

StrikeForceF1 wrote:Would be a nice break in tradition for Ferrari as they traditionally like to employ world champions regarding others as inexperienced.
I disagree with that. They generally employ non-champions IMO - with the occasional WDC hire. But when they do hire a WDC - he ends up being pretty special.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Juzh

Just_a_fan wrote:I think the title of this thread is incorrect. It should surely ask: "Who is going to replace Horner at RedBull?"

Vettel has publically gone against a team order. The team has claimed it has been dealt with. Nothing public has happened to demonstrate the authority of the team over the driver. As Horner is the public team principal (Marko being the real power broker of course), I fail to see how Horner's position will remain tenable. Certainly, if the drivers mess around as the season progresses - and that must be viewed as a likely occurrence - and Horner is unable to prevent it then he must be seen as a short term prospect for the team. A team principal who does not have the respect of the drivers can't continue in the role.
Horner is the most competent team principal on the grid, which also reflects on team's results in the past years. He's also been signed for a few more seasons not long ago. Your entire comment is just more RB bashing nonsense.

Clew

Just_a_fan wrote:I think the title of this thread is incorrect. It should surely ask: "Who is going to replace Horner at RedBull?"

Vettel has publically gone against a team order. The team has claimed it has been dealt with. Nothing public has happened to demonstrate the authority of the team over the driver. As Horner is the public team principal (Marko being the real power broker of course), I fail to see how Horner's position will remain tenable. Certainly, if the drivers mess around as the season progresses - and that must be viewed as a likely occurrence - and Horner is unable to prevent it then he must be seen as a short term prospect for the team. A team principal who does not have the respect of the drivers can't continue in the role.
If Horner's just a figure head and Marko "The-Man" as you suggest, and every one know's it, then Vettel disobeying Horner's order is not such a big deal if everyone know's Marko is not displeased about SV passing MW. MW's comments on podium indicated SV is the protected golden boy. Therefore, I see no reason to get rid of Horner as Team Principle because everyone know's the limit of his capacity is not as large as say Martin's or Ross :mrgreen:
“Championships are won in the first half of the season, not just the second half” Raikkonen

Clew

WhiteBlue wrote:Why should Webber retire. I see no reason. I think that with his theatrical performances he satisfies his illusion that he is on equal status with the Red Bull lead driver who has always outperformed him consistently over every season. The truth is that Vettel is so much faster when it comes to a single lap that he has more than three times the pole positions that Webber got. Officially Mark gets equal equipment and procedural status. Would he get that at for instance Ferrari? No way. He would have a #2 contract to begin with. So the likely outcome is for Mark to continue his illusions, take the money and stay put. Seb cannot rely on Mark to support him even in crucial races as seen in Brazil last year. So nothing really changes. None of the Red Bull drivers will effectively obey team orders since Webber refused it in Turkey 2010 and Silverstone 2011. That much is clear. And so there is no real reason to change drivers for any party. But if Webber looses the hunger for competition the Iceman would be the likely option in my view. Probably a bit more expansive but very cool for marketing. Even more capable than Webber as long as he is motivated. He knows what he is doing - fighting for championships. With Webber I'm not sure he is even trying hard enough on his bad days. He can spectacularly under perform for the most important events. Abu Dhabi 2010 and Korea 2010 were some of those events that stood out massively. First he threw away the car in Korea and then he was more than a second off the qualifying pace. You cannot compete with Seb, Lewis and Fred if you have those off days for the showdown of the championship.
Besides, there's no illusion when MW looks at his bank account :mrgreen:
“Championships are won in the first half of the season, not just the second half” Raikkonen

Clew

CHT wrote:Mateschitz added: "Kimi is cool and fast and always a candidate (@ RBR)."
Only if Vettel goes to Ferrari :mrgreen:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Juzh wrote:

Horner is the most competent team principal on the grid, which also reflects on team's results in the past years. He's also been signed for a few more seasons not long ago. Your entire comment is just more RB bashing nonsense.
Not at all RB bashing. I've great respect for them as a technical outfit. Indeed, my post made absolutely no attempt to bash RB in anyway. Your "defence" has the smell of fanboy about it. :wink:

If Horner is so competent then why do his drivers not respect him? Probably because they know he is a figurehead and that Marko is the man to please. Certainly, as far as Vettel is concerned, Marko has his back as evidenced by comments passim.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Clew wrote:

If Horner's just a figure head and Marko "The-Man" as you suggest, and every one know's it, then Vettel disobeying Horner's order is not such a big deal if everyone know's Marko is not displeased about SV passing MW. MW's comments on podium indicated SV is the protected golden boy. Therefore, I see no reason to get rid of Horner as Team Principle because everyone know's the limit of his capacity is not as large as say Martin's or Ross :mrgreen:
Indeed so. But a failure to enforce the principal's direction on the drivers is a very public statement of what the principal is/isn't. It's also a very public display of the team's views about their drivers roles. Which is fine so long as you're honest about those roles.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

CHT
CHT

Clew wrote:
CHT wrote:Mateschitz added: "Kimi is cool and fast and always a candidate (@ RBR)."
No doubt that Vettel will leave for Ferrari some day, but I doubt it will happen when RBR is still the team to beat. Vettel is quietly gunning for MS F1 record and RBR is definitely the best platform to do so regardless what naysayer are saying about his capability etc .

Having Kimi driving alongside Vettel will not just be good for RBR, but for F1 fans as well as.

Clew

Just_a_fan wrote:
Clew wrote:

Indeed so. But a failure to enforce the principal's direction on the drivers is a very public statement of what the principal is/isn't. It's also a very public display of the team's views about their drivers roles. Which is fine so long as you're honest about those roles.
I disagree with removing team principles because a driver decides to disobey an order. Otherwise every team's #2 driver will disobey team orders and get a new team principle. So in Red Bull example, if Horner doesn't promote MW from #2 driver to #1....then disobey team orders again and again until a new team principle is hired who does promote MW to #1
:lol:
I suspect Horner applied a reprimand of some sort to SV based on Senior Team agreement including Marko.

Clew

CHT wrote:
Clew wrote:
Having Kimi driving alongside Vettel will not just be good for RBR, but for F1 fans as well as.
As an F1 fan, I prefer another team and driver win 2013 WCC and WDC. Kimi with Lotus or Nico with Merc. I find it boring to see RBR and SV win it again.

Juzh

Just_a_fan wrote:
Juzh wrote:

Not at all RB bashing. I've great respect for them as a technical outfit. Indeed, my post made absolutely no attempt to bash RB in anyway. Your "defence" has the smell of fanboy about it. :wink:

If Horner is so competent then why do his drivers not respect him? Probably because they know he is a figurehead and that Marko is the man to please. Certainly, as far as Vettel is concerned, Marko has his back as evidenced by comments passim.
Controlling your drivers is one of many things team principal has to do (khm ron denis & FA, LH). I've yet to hear a serious outcry by RB fans to get rid of him. Now look at withmarsh, brawn or domenicali. Every year we're hearing they should be sacked and yet they're not.

CHT
CHT

Clew wrote: As an F1 fan, I prefer another team and driver win 2013 WCC and WDC. Kimi with Lotus or Nico with Merc. I find it boring to see RBR and SV win it again.
Not really, I think it will be interesting to see Vettel driving along side another proven WDC.

Neno
Neno

CHT wrote:
Clew wrote: As an F1 fan, I prefer another team and driver win 2013 WCC and WDC. Kimi with Lotus or Nico with Merc. I find it boring to see RBR and SV win it again.
Not really, I think it will be interesting to see Vettel driving along side another proven WDC.
that will never happend because he could finish like alonso vs hamilton, his pride destroyed his finger broken, and his smile would turn into avenger seeking for darkness.

if one race this year where webber was better then him opened just piece of his darkness, what would happend in 20 races? I am scared