Formula 1 history in pictures (1950 - 1999)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
manchild

High-res historical photos

A must-download for all Senna fans. Amazing photos, most of them over 2 or 3000 pixels wide!

http://www.basf1.nl/htm/sennafotos.htm

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: High-res historical photos

manchild wrote:A must-download for all Senna fans. Amazing photos, most of them over 2 or 3000 pixels wide!

http://www.basf1.nl/htm/sennafotos.htm
Manchild you Beauty!

Thank you...truly! =P~
More could have been done.
David Purley

manchild

It was my pleasure :wink:

Some of them are truly amazing. I took time to tune some of them, but this one left me speachless.

1600x1200 http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/985/ ... zilie1.jpg
1680x1050 http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/985/ ... zilie1.jpg
1920x1080 http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/985/ ... zilie1.jpg

Giblet

Amazing.

Look at the tire blistering in this photo.

http://www.basf1.nl/Senna/ayrton%20senn ... and-01.jpg
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

forty-two

And would ya look at that! Pullrod on the front suspension!

End sarcasm

I wonder how long it'll be till someone works out a loophole allowing them to run with that this year?

That WOULD be cool.

Great images though, simply beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Sebp

manchild wrote:It was my pleasure :wink:

Some of them are truly amazing. I took time to tune some of them, but this one left me speachless.

1600x1200 http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/985/ ... zilie1.jpg
This used to be my desktop wallpaper at work a couple of years ago. Sometimes I just had to minimize all of my windows and stare. Really great pic. Thanks for the reminder!

mep

Oooh there are some real racecars on the pics.
A long time ago since I saw some.

radomer

High res photos of old era

I would like to know where I can find HIGH RES photos of formula one. I have many of the new era (2009-2012) and I would like to find many photos of 70's , 80's and early 90's. I found some on the google but I want more. I guess there are millions of them but I dont know where to find them.

Is there a way? A site? I mean a link to download? A tor-rent or share ? I need them to be more than 1000x700 in average. Please tell me
Last edited by Steven on 26 Oct 2012, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title to lowercase

Jersey Tom

Re: High res photos of old era

Oh yes, they exist. They're actual physical photographs. You have to find or purchase them, and then scan them.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Raptor22

radomer wrote:I would like to know where I can find HIGH RES photos of formula one. I have many of the new era (2009-2012) and I would like to find many photos of 70's , 80's and early 90's. I found some on the google but I want more. I guess there are millions of them but I dont know where to find them.

Is there a way? A site? I mean a link to download? A tor-rent or share ? I need them to be more than 1000x700 in average. Please tell me

:wtf: You do realise that High res digital photography is really something thats only come along in the last 10 yrs...

Everything before then was on 35mm film....

You're going to have to buy prints from Sutton Images and scan them in. These will no way have anywhere near the quality of getting a digital photograph in RAW or JPG ascaned from the negative.

Cam

why so flippant JT? If you don't have any direct links to help him, just say so.

Try some of the stock image libraries - shutterstock, eyestock, getty images etc - try a general image search, but you may have more luck looking for 'editorial' images. These will all be HI RES and you can purchase them.

Another great source is searching the various nations online 'National Archives'. These can be a real gold mine, although the images may not be super hi res.

Another good source is is to contact actual publications and requesting images from them - F1 magazines etc.

Be aware that copyright may apply in some cases.

Best bet though is to try here: http://www.klemcoll.com
The Klemantaski Collection consists of over 500,000 motor racing and related automotive photographs and is one of the largest and most varied libraries of its kind anywhere in the world. The Collection is based on two major archives. The first includes all of the motor racing images taken by the famous photographer Louis Klemantaski during his long and active career from 1936-1974. There are some 60,000 Klemantaski images in the Collection. Most of these are black and white, but there are a significant number of photos in color, including some from the prewar Grand Prix events.
If you do find some other good sources, perhaps you could share the links and information here for others, that would be constructive and helpful.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Jersey Tom

Not trying to make a mockery of it, I'm serious! Raptor is right on as well. Explosion of high res digital photography is only a very recent development.

At a previous employer of mine there was a goldmine of old photos from the 80's and 90's. But as I'm sure it is elsewhere.. they're all physical. I don't think there's a huge impetus to digitize them at the moment... so that's how it is.

Finding old stuff like that (and not only photos) often takes digging through physical media. Can't just torrent everything or get it for free / no effort.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Raptor22

Cam wrote:why so flippant JT? If you don't have any direct links to help him, just say so.

Try some of the stock image libraries - shutterstock, eyestock, getty images etc - try a general image search, but you may have more luck looking for 'editorial' images. These will all be HI RES and you can purchase them.

Another great source is searching the various nations online 'National Archives'. These can be a real gold mine, although the images may not be super hi res.

Another good source is is to contact actual publications and requesting images from them - F1 magazines etc.

Be aware that copyright may apply in some cases.

Best bet though is to try here: http://www.klemcoll.com
The Klemantaski Collection consists of over 500,000 motor racing and related automotive photographs and is one of the largest and most varied libraries of its kind anywhere in the world. The Collection is based on two major archives. The first includes all of the motor racing images taken by the famous photographer Louis Klemantaski during his long and active career from 1936-1974. There are some 60,000 Klemantaski images in the Collection. Most of these are black and white, but there are a significant number of photos in color, including some from the prewar Grand Prix events.
If you do find some other good sources, perhaps you could share the links and information here for others, that would be constructive and helpful.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

those generally low res scans from printed images.

For high res originals he will have to request them from the copyright owner and request a scan from the negative using a High Res negative scanner.
If teh CR owner has not already digitised the images in this way its going to cost because there are not a lot of High res digital scanners flowting around anymore. I wanted to buy one in 2005 and the best available at teh time to the layman was aequivalent toaroun 3Mpixel resolution, nowhere the modern 24mpixel average camera's. Its basically point and shoot camera quality

mzivtins

I really don't see how a high res output from a physical negative would give less quality than even say the new Canon 5d mkIII. If done correctly, the digitized negative can have a higher resolution than any market leading DSLR RAW image, with MUCH better dynamic range.

Its the same as people acting surprised when 'the longest day' gets released on Blu-ray... "OMG How was that filmed in HD?" IDIOTS!

On a side note, i think this whole 1080p era is really choking development in all areas of visual media... 35mm aspect ratio does not conform to 16:9 aspect ration that the 1080p buzzword lives in. Only very recently have computer monitors finally started to push themselves high in terms of resolution again (affordable)... its like we said goodbye to CRT monitors and then had to sacrifice high resolutions... things slowly moved up to 1080p, and stuck there for what seemed like eternity! Even still... the 11mpixel monitors like the samsung 27" and the apply cinema display both still come in at 16:9

I am glad however that digital photography is extremely good now in the top end DSLR market, we went from crystal clear ISO 100 film shots to OTT flat shots with jpeg compression artifacts and very poor dynamic range with DSLR's in comparison

Good luck in your hunt for some remastered images, i know we will all be eager to see them, as they always do have a very special look to them that to-date has not been recreated in the digital market.

My closing part:
1985 monaco grand prix, notice the dynamic range, the organic feel. Nothing by todays standards comes even close, maybe 5 years more DSLR development and we will have this level of dynamic range:

beelsebob

mzivtins wrote:1985 monaco grand prix, notice the dynamic range, the organic feel. Nothing by todays standards comes even close, maybe 5 years more DSLR development and we will have this level of dynamic range:
Uhhhh, right... You realise that current DSLRs can already capture a greater dynamic range than any film available well... ever?

The image you linked I would bet pretty heavily was not actually taken with a camera but painted/drawn/illustrated in some way. If it was taken with a camera, has had significant amounts of post production done on it.
Last edited by Richard on 27 Oct 2012, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote tags