Mclaren is in trouble

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bernard
bernard

jezzwa wrote:I have heard rumours that Mercedes are completely rethinking and rebuilding their V8's right now, is that true?
I wrote this on the other thread too, but the new engine will be ready after the Jerez tests next week.
It's a radical improvement, bringing 50hp more with it. That's a lot of horses.
And the new livery will be revealed at the same time with the new engine.

Bernard
50hp? :D Thats an amazing feat. Lets hope it stays together. I just finished reading this http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/en/index.html and that would be engine number 4 this week alone :cry: Plus they also mention hydrolics and that usually means engine as well.
I read earlier in the day that Mclaren will end up using a V10 and spring it at the last minute. I would not put it past Ron Dennis to do that. I find it odd that they are running Pedro a whole bunch with that de tunned V10

bernard
bernard

Anonymous wrote:Bernard
50hp? :D Thats an amazing feat. Lets hope it stays together. I just finished reading this http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/en/index.html and that would be engine number 4 this week alone :cry: Plus they also mention hydrolics and that usually means engine as well.
I read earlier in the day that Mclaren will end up using a V10 and spring it at the last minute. I would not put it past Ron Dennis to do that. I find it odd that they are running Pedro a whole bunch with that de tunned V10
All the main teams have signed a deal not to use v10's. And when asked about it, Jean Todt said it was more than just a gentleman's agreement. It would certainly piss a few people off if Mclaren was to run V10's. :shock: Personally I don't believe in it.
As to the 50hp with the current reliability of Mercedes... yeah, an amazing feat. Though Mercedes is so far behind in hp at the moment that there are more than just a few areas of the engine where they can improve.
This could be the determining point in Mclaren's season. If they pull it off, they have a chance. Just like ferrari in 2004 with those last minute Bridgestone miracle tyres. The other teams thought they had a chance until Ferrari hit the track with that new rubber. 8-[

jgredline

Mclaren would be nuts to show up with a V10. For one they would have to do some major sandbagging until the actual race since the rules state that the rules for the V10 can be changed on a days notice. As to 50Bhp, thats great. Hard to imaging since they are blowing up with less Hp and less revs. Mercedes is blessed to be in a Mclaren. They are always down on power. Even when Mika won his world titles, mercedes was down on power.
http://www.motorsport.com/news/article. ... 9362&FS=F1
To finish first, first you must finish.

manchild
manchild

In the middle of last season Haug bragged how they have over 1000 hp and we all know what was the price for that figure.

jgredline

over 1000 hp

LOL When did he say that??
He was fortunate the car was so good that they could run less wing than everybody else.
To finish first, first you must finish.

manchild
manchild

After Nurburging I think... he said something like "our engine might not be reliable but not many engines have 1000 hp"

Anyway, that was paddock just paddock chat so don't take it as official statement.

I think that both Renault and Mclaren had over 1000 hp on single race engines in China. If 2 race engines had 960 hp at the beginning of the season than 1 race engine after 4 specs. must have had over 1000 hp.