Interlagos - pit lane redesign and possible layout change

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: Interlagos - pit lane redesign and possible layout chang

I don think these 'changes' are bad at all, actually.

Yes, in a sense, Brazil loses one 'classic' feat; the pitlane entry. It was characteristic for Brazil, it allows very tight and close-call actions on entering or not entering pits at the last moment.
But with that, is the huge danger. I think it's a pure and absolute miracle there hasn't been a huge grave accident (atleast in F1) at that potentially lethal barrier.

Cars go full out from the corner into the rise to the straight and contact, slippery conditions, a driver error, mechanical failure or a sudden puncture can all cause a driver losing control of it's vehicle. That goes for the entire season, but on this certain spot at brazil it can potentially change into your vehicle slamming with 200+ kph into a steel barrier that has zero deceleration obstacles or 'safety' measurements installed. In essense, what happened to bianchi, or what happend to Kubica in canada a long while ago, is highly possible. It's insane that it never happened though

´unchanged' isnt always a positive thing. Imagine the classic monza turn being run with today's cars. that could end ugly very fast. Monaco like in the 50's.

Quite frankly, I like the way that wall is constructed. It doesnt ruin the looks of the track, actually, i feel like it improves the track and gives it a even more ´characteristic' look.
Pitlane entry is much, much, much safer now. I've been baffled that hasn't been done years ago.

Some minor track 'updates' or 'resurfacing' doesnt change much. The overall and basic concept of the track is still the same.
Itś not like its suddenly Korea or something like that.

I think we should welcome these 'updates' since it guarantees this track will remain the Brazil GP for the coming decade(s). 'I want my mommy i dont want change' - yeah, you realise that would have resulted in 'i want my mommy they've no longer got sao paolo track, despite its still the same'.

I'm curious on how the track will be at race day. In the sense of how these changes effect the laps, race, etc.

The curves immediately after the start/finish line are legendary and imho should never change. i love the huge stretch of grass as a runoff. If there's any spot where you should never put runoff, itś there - atleast, perhaps plant some at the very end, but not at the front.

thanks for the sharing OP
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

wesley123
wesley123

Interlagos has been unsafe long enough if you'd ask me. I still wonder how it could stay on the calendar in this state. It's infield is pretty much completely open, one could cut large parts of the track over the grass. It still surprises me that that is allowed, certainly when grass in general isn't very grippy, and it gets worse when it's wet, which it is often enough.

Also, the increase in run-off is important if they are going to increase the back straight(which was a rumored change a while ago), thus increasing the straight into the infield as well.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Cuky

new run-off area outside T2. I can't find other pics, but judging by this one pit exit has also been changed

SiLo

Have they resurfaced the entire track?
Felipe Baby!

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Cuky wrote:new run-off area outside T2. I can't find other pics, but judging by this one pit exit has also been changed
http://www.formula1.com/wi/gi/597x478/M ... 06no62.jpg
NOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooOOOO :shock:
that was the exact spot they should have maintained unaltered!

:(
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

SiLo wrote:Have they resurfaced the entire track?
Yes.

SiLo

How much could this affect the tyre choice there? We might get lucky and see a 4 stop race!
Felipe Baby!

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

Cuky wrote:new run-off area outside T2. I can't find other pics, but judging by this one pit exit has also been changed
Damn it.
SiLo wrote:How much could this affect the tyre choice there? We might get lucky and see a 4 stop race!
I think the opposite, man. Remember first year at COTA? Plus the weather is going to be bit cool on Sunday.

emaren
emaren

Jonnycraig wrote:
SiLo wrote:Have they resurfaced the entire track?
Yes.
Lets hope that they did not use 'Sotchi Tarmac inc.' for the job, else we are in for a single stop if it is dry......

Cuky

T2 now looks, at least as far as I can remember, like it was before pit exit was routed to after T3 with asphalt run-off instead of grass.

siskue2005

The last corner's profile and angle is changed

Richard
Richard

BanMeToo wrote:Shut up about it.
I agree, as did several other members. Shut up about what? .... It's gone.

Andres125sx

Manoah2u wrote:
NOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooOOOO :shock:
that was the exact spot they should have maintained unaltered!

:(
That´s the exact spot were a river produced frequent aquaplanning when raining, not sure if the mod was to install better drainage, but I hope so

FW17

Andres125sx wrote:
That´s the exact spot were a river produced frequent aquaplanning when raining, not sure if the mod was to install better drainage, but I hope so
They read your concern and now they have a cheese grater