How to make the next round of reg changes genuinely the fastest cars ever

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
gdogg371
gdogg371

How to make the next round of reg changes genuinely the fastest cars ever

Following on from a very off topic debate on one of the threads yesterday, what changes could we realistically expect if there was the political will to genuinely make the cars the fastest ever seen? Also, how far off the pace of the 2005 V10's do we think the current crop of cars are?

Possible suggestions for things the FIA might realistically introduce to make the above happen are:

- a further increase of fuel flow/allowed fuel.
- an increase in permitted electrical harvesting.
- larger ICE capacity.
- the return of the blown diffuser.
- the return of active suspension.
- further increase in tyre size to their early 90's dimensions.
- reintroduction of refuelling.

Presumably the following are completely off the agenda:

- the V10's coming back.
- ground effect in some form being allowed again.
- driver aids, beyond standardised active suspension being allowed back in.

Would be interesting to hear people's thoughts on this...

marvin78
marvin78

Re: How to make the next round of reg changes genuinely the fastest cars ever

They don't need to be the fastes cars. We need competitive cars all over the place to make F1 exiting again. They need to get rid of artificial helpers, like DRS and passing has to be possible (NOT EASY) without them. Then you have a F1 that's worthy of this name.

santos
santos

Fastest lap in 2005 at the Spain GP was 1:15.641. But that was when the V10's had already some years of development. The actual formula needs time to achive that level of performance. And i think it should stay like they are for some years.
And aren't they the fastest cars already? Wich one is faster?

Pierce89

santos wrote:Fastest lap in 2005 at the Spain GP was 1:15.641. But that was when the V10's had already some years of development. The actual formula needs time to achive that level of performance. And i think it should stay like they are for some years.
Different track layout(no chicane) as has been stated multiple times across f1t.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

santos
santos

Pierce89 wrote:
santos wrote:Fastest lap in 2005 at the Spain GP was 1:15.641. But that was when the V10's had already some years of development. The actual formula needs time to achive that level of performance. And i think it should stay like they are for some years.
Different track layout(no chicane) as has been stated multiple times across f1t.
Oh yeah... didn't remember that #-o

gdogg371
gdogg371

marvin78 wrote:They don't need to be the fastes cars. We need competitive cars all over the place to make F1 exiting again. They need to get rid of artificial helpers, like DRS and passing has to be possible (NOT EASY) without them. Then you have a F1 that's worthy of this name.
I agree that they don't need to be to have good racing, however even just beefing them up to this season's regs has generated an awful lot more excitement and interest than the old Super GP2 regs ever could have. A lot of casual fans are drawn in by seeing brutally fast machinery. Look at Group B rally as a prime example of that.

gold333
gold333

Car widths are now at 1993-1997 levels. (2.0 m)

They could go to pre 1993 levels to 2.2 m.

Also they could lose the stepped bottom introduced in 1995 to slow the cars down and go back to a flat bottom like in the 80's and early 90's.
F1 car width now 2.0m (same as 1993-1997). Lets go crazy and bring the 2.2m cars back (<1992).

Gaz.
Gaz.

gdogg371 wrote:Following on from a very off topic debate on one of the threads yesterday, what changes could we realistically expect if there was the political will to genuinely make the cars the fastest ever seen? Also, how far off the pace of the 2005 V10's do we think the current crop of cars are?

Possible suggestions for things the FIA might realistically introduce to make the above happen are:

- a further increase of fuel flow/allowed fuel.
- an increase in permitted electrical harvesting.
- larger ICE capacity.
- the return of the blown diffuser.
- the return of active suspension.
- further increase in tyre size to their early 90's dimensions.
- reintroduction of refuelling.

Presumably the following are completely off the agenda:

- the V10's coming back.
- ground effect in some form being allowed again.
- driver aids, beyond standardised active suspension being allowed back in.

Would be interesting to hear people's thoughts on this...
The history books show fastest laps are set in the race - the F2004 set 14 of them. Without refueling and decent tyres I'm not sure the 2017 cars will beat the 2004 cars during the races. However the pole times are all up for grabs.

The 2004 Australia pole time was 1.24.408
The 2016 Australia pole time was 1.23.837

The fastest lap of 2004 was 1.24.125
The fastest lap of 2016 was 1.28.997

The other question is, if one 2017 car sets 15 records is it assumed to be the fastest car ever which statistically it would be, but only 7 of those 14 are on the calender & unchanged so would beating all 7 be enough and taking 13 fastest laps?
Forza Jules

Jolle
Jolle

In the future, more power with come without a doubt from a bigger harvest/ERS instead of a higher fuel flow or bigger ICE. More downforce won't come i think. When these cars with this set of regs are developed a few years, the cornering speed will be at a max for what drivers can take on their necks. I even think this is the first time where cars were made quicker instead of slower?

gdogg371
gdogg371

Jolle wrote:In the future, more power with come without a doubt from a bigger harvest/ERS instead of a higher fuel flow or bigger ICE. More downforce won't come i think. When these cars with this set of regs are developed a few years, the cornering speed will be at a max for what drivers can take on their necks. I even think this is the first time where cars were made quicker instead of slower?
The only other reg change I can think of to make the cars go faster was ending the phase of using F2 engines specs. Think that went in the very early 60's and the Cosworth DFV was built with the subsequent three litre engine regs in mind.

gdogg371
gdogg371

Would be good to see refuelling, indestructible tyres and a bit more downforce/power to come back. To me the cars should be killer fast and the drivers constantly pushing to the max all race, every race. That is F1...

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

The best way to improve F1 is to stop asking "fans" what they want. Someone wants to go back to year X? Great but someone else remembers that year X was dull. Stop fiddling with the rules in an attempt to "make the racing better" or whatever other excuse is used.

The only way, and it is the only way, to make F1 more competitive is to make the cars identical and just let the drivers drive. It will never happen because of the team politics etc. So we either put up with F1 being what it is or we go and watch something else. Trying to make changes in the hope that it will deliver some ideal idea of F1 is doomed to failure.

The phrase "pissing in to the wind" comes to mind.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Moose
Moose

gold333 wrote:Car widths are now at 1993-1997 levels. (2.0 m)

They could go to pre 1993 levels to 2.2 m.

Also they could lose the stepped bottom introduced in 1995 to slow the cars down and go back to a flat bottom like in the 80's and early 90's.
It wasn't introduced "to slow cars down", it was introduced to guarantee that the underside of the car didn't stall if the tire pressures were low, so that they didn't randomly pitch multiple world champions into concrete walls.

ojlopez
ojlopez

I think that some freedom in design is the key. For example, current 1.6 liter turbo engine formula but you can make it a straight 4, inline 6, V6 , etc.

Compulsory pit stops like Touring Cars to avoid 1 stop strategies.

Nickel
Nickel

who's got a list of tracks still on the calendar from 04/05 that haven't seen modification? Australia
Canada
spa (has bus stop changed since then? it's changed so often...)
Hungary? when was the first corner moved back?
monza is changing soon. do we get one more year before they change it?
brazil
japan
monaco
I must be missing some, that seems way too short... Austria and China?