Honda Power Unit Complaints

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Is there too little technical discussion occuring in the Honda PU thread?

Yes
30%
No
10%
GP2 engine
19%
120hp
10%
Vibration
10%
Japanese work culture
9%
Third season!
13%

Total votes: 135

roon

Honda Power Unit Complaints

In the interest of unburdening the Honda Power Unit thread, I present to you:

The Honda Power Unit Complaints Thread

Enjoy.
Last edited by roon on 16 Apr 2017, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.

Jef Patat

Re: Honda Power Unit Complaints

Finally, maybe add some predictions as well? I love those...

godlameroso

Here's one, everyone writes off Honda until they massively improve out of nowhere. Probably around the time Alonso jumps ship, and McLaren finishes signing a Mercedes engine deal, and Williams joins with Honda, and beat McLaren in 2018, and fight with Renault for the title in 2019 with Button coming out of Retirement for Williams. And Mercedes slips back to fighting for Q3 starts with Bottas and Alonso.
Saishū kōnā

loner

Wazari hinted about a Williams Honda maybe it shows lots of intense between Mclaren and Honda
i personally eager to see a Williams Honda with Alonso, obviously mclaren can't afford his wages and he won't accept to be a mercedes satellite driver.
para bellum.

Singabule

Paddy+Hasegawa, deadly!

FW17

That would be nice. Calm and systematic approach from Paddy could really work.

And I would love to see Alonso at Williams.

3jawchuck

loner wrote:
28 Mar 2017, 06:22
Wazari hinted about a Williams Honda maybe it shows lots of intense between Mclaren and Honda
i personally eager to see a Williams Honda with Alonso, obviously mclaren can't afford his wages and he won't accept to be a mercedes satellite driver.
To be fair he didn't hint, he said he'd like to see that. I would too, just not quite as much as I'd like to see McLaren Honda as double world champions again.

loner

3jawchuck wrote:
28 Mar 2017, 16:37
loner wrote:
28 Mar 2017, 06:22
To be fair he didn't hint, he said he'd like to see that. I would too, just not quite as much as I'd like to see McLaren Honda as double world champions again.
mclaren fans don't want to wait it seems, for me the important thing was changing the layout and the pre ignition
they are there already but to master it you need time ask merc or ferrari or renault
specialy renault took only 3 tokens to be more competitive than ferrari last year
para bellum.

zac510

My complaint is that there are too many complaints!

turbof1

zac510 wrote:
29 Mar 2017, 15:21
My complaint is that there are too many complaints!
Yeah this is exactly my thought as well. With all fairness and respect, but we are not the autosport.com forums. We ( should) discuss specific malfunctions and issues, not something like "how the frack it's frickery frack frack frack possible that motherducker of a PU is not working after 3 years. They should not only abandon Honda, they should not only sue them, they should also sodomise them. Yeah, sodomise that PU right through the exhaust, that'll teach them!".

I'm all for a stress release topic as long at this keeps any complaints away from the PU topic.
#AeroFrodo

kasio

roon wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 20:58
In the interest of unburdening the Honda Power Unit thread, I present to you:

The Honda Power Unit Complaints Thread

Enjoy.
This is SOOO perfect! i was about to suggest that ... there is so much waste in mclaren and honda threads...

Webber2011

I must admit that even though I don't comment here much, I read at least 3 or 4 times a day.

I'm a massive fan of motorsport with F1 of course on top of my list, so when I discovered this place I was in heaven !
I'm no where near as experienced or technical as a lot of you, but my mind is a sponge.
My enjoyment here has been through soaking up all the knowledge you guys are generous enough to impart.

The Honda PU thread has been a great source of that enjoyment, but it's become a little tiresome for me just lately with all the OT stuff.

I know McHonda are having a tough relationship, but I don't need to hear about it in the PU thread.

Actually, if we're going to call this a relationship, it looks to me like the honeymoon didn't last long before they started arguing and throwing dishes at each other, but as is usually the case, these things are kept private until the divorce is fast approaching and it all starts to be made public :lol:

Now, back off topic :D

In my fantasy land I'd like to see a role reversal.

How about McLaren started designing the PU 3 years ago, and Honda did the same with the chassis ?
Would be an interesting, (but ridiculous I know), experiment to find out what's actually harder to get right :wink:

HPD

Add a new item to the list..

"Mclaren builds its own engine" :roll: :roll:

Andres125sx

My complain goes to...... FIA!!!

Maybe Honda could have done it much better, but I really think people hugely understimate how difficult must be designing a PU as complex as these, with no real world testing!!

Can someone point me to some other engineering challenge similar to this? Designing a complex PU wich cannot be tested into the car it is designed to propel until few weeks before the competition starts is, IMHO, the idea of a complete dumbass. How are they supposed to know if the concept will work as expected? What are they supposed to do if there´s some teethering problem when the season start so soon after those tests? I´ll tell you, they can do nothing more than suffer a worldwide embarrasment wich, believe it or not, could not be solved during the whole season because there was a token restriction, and actually.... not even in next season!!! :o :shock: :wtf: as the tokens didn´t allow for the neccessary redesign not even in winter, before 2016 season.

So basically Honda has been trapped with a poor design for two complete seasons. Yes that was their design, but this is engineering, you can´t ask a company to design a completely new PU from scratch and force them to succed at first try, or suffer a worldwide humiliation for two complete years. Complete nosense

I´m still wondering how Honda dared to enter F1 with such idiotic rules.

And before someone says Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari are competing with same rules, they didn´t have a high perfomance target to match as Honda, because this complex PU evolve VERY fast, so only in one season they improved a lot, and Honda was forced to compete with them and deliver similar perfomance without their experience and kwnowledge, so they were forced to assume a lot more risks than the rest. Then they failed, true, but if you take into consideration all I said in this post, I really think FIA is way more responsible for Honda failure than Honda theirselves

Now 2017 is in reality second attempt for Honda, first time they can completely redesign the PU, but obviously their competitors were not still during 2015 and 2016, they have been improving a lot while Honda was stuck with, more or less, 2015 design, so now their perfomance target is even higher when Honda actually could not develop a proper PU concept due to past seasons restrictions, so this season the target became even more difficult to achieve

But people will keep saying Honda is useless, they don´t know what they´re doing, etc. #-o

What I say is, poor Honda

Ok, rant over, now I feel better :D

Manoah2u

can i please upvote the above post 10 or 20 times? this might be the biggest win-post for both this thread, the Honda engine thread aswell as the Mclaren thread.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"