Silly Season 2017/2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SR71

Silly Season 2017/2018

Seem's like a good time to start the silly season thread with the Sauber seat a bit hot these days....

We've also got a lot of drivers coming off contract at the end of the year.

Cheers to a fully committed '17/'18 silly season!

gdogg371

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

Place your bets on which round of the championship it starts getting reported as 'concrete fact' that Vettel or Alonso has been signed to replace Bottas at Mercedes...

Fulcrum

Hmmm...

Mercedes

I don't think any changes are going to materialise here. Hamilton will win the Driver's Championship relatively comfortably, meaning with less internal pressure from his teammate; Mercedes will win the Constructor's Championship. Bottas will do enough to justify a seat without causing much aggravation, Hamilton stays for another year.

Ferrari

Vettel stays, Raikkonen departs for retirement, possibly Williams or McLaren. Daniel Ricciardo or Fernando Alonso sign for 2018.

Red Bull

Verstappen and Ricciardo, if Ricciardo stays. Alternatively, Carlos Sainz.

Williams

Massa strolls into the sunset. His seat is taken by Raikkonen - Daddy Stroll paying for that. Alternatively, Wehrlein or Ocon are brought in after some coercion from Mercedes. Alternatively, Massa sticks around for another year!

McLaren

Vandoorne and Alonso, if he decides to stick around. If Alonso goes, they're going to be scrambling for someone. Possible options would be extremely slim under the circumstances necessary to make Alonso leave. Raikkonen, maybe Grosjean. They also have potential boomerang employees in Perez and Magnussen, but I'd imagine Raikkonen would be the premium boomerang.

Force India

Perez and Ocon are likely to remain here, but Ocon could be headhunted by several teams. If he moves, Wehrlein, or another promising rookie will take his place.

Renault

Hulkenberg and Ocon - Ocon is French, he is quick, Renault would appreciate a French driver. Jolyon simply isn't good enough to keep that seat.

Toro Rosso

If Sainz moves up to the 'A' team, Kvyat may be retained. However, I think it highly likely he is jettisoned as well, and Toro Rosso will have a completely new line-up next year.

Sauber

Anyone that can pay lots of money.

Haas

Grosjean and ? Probably Magnussen, maybe Giovinazzi is brought in here?

I reckon there could be as many as 4 rookies on the grid next year. 2 places in Toro Rosso, possible places in Sauber, Force India, Haas, maybe even Renault.

Of those, Pierre Gasly looks a certainty for the Toro Rosso team. Charles Leclerc, if he performs in GP2, will have a strong chance of entering F1 via Haas or Sauber.

Other possible decent options include Luca Ghiotto, Oliver Rowland, Nyck de Vries and Alexander Albon.

FrukostScones

SAI is dead certain at Ferrari. Already in 2018 if RAI keeps his underwhelming form. I think VET would prefer him over RIC and it would keep the classic Ferrari 1-2.
ALO is in no mans Land, all he can have is McLaren or Renault. (and Will and Findia for free ; ), ).
I' d love to see him in Merc or RB though.
ALO to back to Ferrari, LOL Not going to happen ever. Especially while VET being there.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

ME4ME

Already said it in the Ferrari team thread, I expect Ricciardo to join Vettel in 2018.
I cannot see Ferrari holding on to Raikkonen any longer, and I cannot see Ricciardo accepting Red Bull / Renault's underperformance beyond 2017. It's a perfect match. Ferrari has always gone for experienced drivers. They got money to pay them, and need mentally strong drivers who won't buckle under the pressure.

dren

Max will retire as the youngest driver to win a race that was handed to him. He'll celebrate it like he was a champion.

Alonso will leave Mclaren with another $100mil spygate fine. He leaves with Honda and joins Red Bull where they dominate the 2018 season.

Raikkonen goes back to Mclaren. Ferrari picks up somebody and under performs. I couldn't care less who it is.
Honda!

ESPImperium

My silly season:

Mercedes: They will retain Hamilton as per contract, however they will look to replace Bottas on his overall P3/P4 based form as i think Mercedes will loose the WCT to Ferrari. I think they will look at a Spaniard in Sainz, if he doesn't go to Red Bull next year. Alonso won't be on the radar, unless Hamilton does a Rosberg.

Ferrari: Will retain Vettel on a new 2 year deal, however Raikkonen will pushed for a younger but capable No 2 driver, will look at Sainz, Grosjean and Bottas, and will all depend on where Red Bull and Mercedes go with their drivers.

Red Bull: Riccardo and Verstappen will be retained, however this season will push their pairing to HAM/ROS levels of intensity.

Toro Rosso: Danny will be retained alongside either Sainz or Gasly.

Force India: Will keep Perez and Ocon.

Williams: Stroll is on a 3 year deal, and daddy brings £35m a year to the team. Massa will finally retire, Alonso may try his luck at a free drive but i think that Frank, Claire and Paddy will be looking at a established and fast driver like Palmer who can bring a little budget and also be a seat for Raikkonen if he decides he wants one more year, if not Bottas i think will return.

Haas: Magnussen will stay, and Haas will likely ask Haas to take Giovanazzi or Leclerc for Ferrari if Grosjean steps up to a Ferrari seat.

Renault Sport: Hulkenberg will stay as per contract. Alonso will probably get his seat here, if not a rebuilt Kvjiat will be stolen for this seat.

Sauber: Ericson will stay on again, however a switch to a Honda power plant and McLaren rear end will pick up Matsushita for Honda. Sauber will get a big fat wedge and free power units for this sacrifice in power and reliability.

McLaren: Vandoorne will stay on here, McLaren will take a young guy on here, someone cost effective, someone willing to give up a year or two on the Honda project.

New Team: Ill start a little rumour, no substance apart from association (Teds Race Notebook at China is enough for me) however a new team led by Graeme Lowdon as Principle will lead a new small team bankrolled by Ron Dennis and his backers using the Manor assets and factory and staff. They will build on the Manor 2017 car and be powered by Mercedes. They will use Wherlien and a driver that brings a decent wedge of money, someone like Sean Gelael would fit here.

Ill say there will be 22 cars and 11 teams on the grid for 2018 with a 24 car/12 team grid for 2019 and a possible 13th and 14th team for 2020 as i think Liberty are eager for more teams in F1 as long as theres a fan and equitable distribution of the prize money.

SR71

Alonso to Indy, honesty did not see that coming.

Good luck on the triple crown!

roon

SR71 wrote:
12 Apr 2017, 22:28

Yeah, he mentioned LeMans. Porsche? Or might he be privy to a new team forming?

Cold Fussion

roon wrote:
13 Apr 2017, 00:38
SR71 wrote:
12 Apr 2017, 22:28

Yeah, he mentioned LeMans. Porsche? Or might he be privy to a new team forming?
Don't think it's likely we'll be seeing a 3rd Porsche any time soon.

Manoah2u

2018:

Mercedes :
Bottas
Ricciardo

Ferrari :
Hamilton
Vettel

RedBull:
Verstappen
Ocon

Haas:
Perez
Grosjean

Renault:
Sainz
Hulkenberg

Williams:

Stroll
Kvyat

Toro Rosso :

Gasly
??????

Force India:
Giovanazzi
Sirotkin

Sauber :
Nobuharu Matsushita
????

Mclaren :
Alonso
VanDoorne
Last edited by Manoah2u on 13 Apr 2017, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

adrianjordan

Manoah2u wrote:
13 Apr 2017, 09:31
2018:

Mercedes :
Bottas
Ricciardo

Ferrari :
Hamilton
Vettel

RedBull:
Verstappen
Ocon

Haas:
Perez
Grosjean

Renault:
Sainz
Hulkenberg

Williams:

Stroll
Kvyat

Toro Rosso :

Gasly
??????

Force India:
Giovanazzi
Sirotkin

Sauber :
Nobuharu Matsushita
????
You don't think Mclaren will be on the grid next year then?? 😝
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Manoah2u

lol forgot! haha
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Manoah2u

oh yes

Jolle

for 2018, as far as I remember, will be Hamilton's last year on his current contract. And since he's been a Mercedes driver since the age of 12, I won't see him break that contract.

The fun thing to watch is how Ferrari and McLaren will get their top drivers, with both Vettel and Alonso in game.

Vettel looks like he can determine the most, he is less affected by past relationships then Alonso. As long as McLaren and Ferrari can't get someone like Verstappen or Ricciardo in the mix, they will have to pay a lot.... said that, I won't see Alonso returning to Ferrari or joining Mercedes, so he might get a big pay cut at McLaren.