Alonso and Indycar

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Chuckjr

Alonso and Indycar

If Fred went to Indycar for 2018 he would revolutionize open wheel racing in America. He would draw an instant international audience and give credibility to Indycar as a sport top drivers want to win. He would from day one be able to win races and likely would own the field on road tracks. He could become legendary doing it and he could race well into his 40s. Maybe 10 years of being at the peak of open wheel racing winning championships and revolutionizing American racing. His presence would draw more F1 drivers and I personally think it would only be a few years and things would be like back in the Champcar days when drivers from F1 would come to America and sometimes drivers from here go over there. Certainly it would be a great option for drivers that simply cannot land a seat because there are so few in F1. Would it not be great to see guys who's careers were cut way too short in F1, then given an opportunity to win in Indycar? Indycar offers them a perfect venue to stand out if they are as good as they think they are. There is much more parity in Indycar and really almost every car can win. Last weeks Texas 600 was a spectacular race. Seeing Alonso in action like that would be EPIC

Fred has made his money. He's lived the F1 life. He's won in F1. Why not do something intangible that no paycheck could buy! Hop over to Andretti racing and immediately start winning races to packed out crowds -- many of whom would go just to see him race. Easy!

I see this as a real opportunity for Fred to do something extraordinary in his life as options like this don't come around very often. It reminds me a bit when Schumacher went to Ferrari...Indycar has similar potential to make a big step forward here.
Watching F1 since 1986.

zac510
zac510

Re: Alonso and Indycar

Well, you certainly seem to have convinced yourself!

Jolle
Jolle

Indycar? Why? Racing former F1 back markers like Sato, Rossi, Chilton or Bourdais when he can race the current ones in a F1 car?

flynfrog

Please post in the 19 page post that already exists on this topic.

flynfrog

Chuckjr

My apologies. I thought since that string had the term "McLaren" in it, it would be frowned upon for posting "off topic" because my thought had nothing to do with McLaren. Replies are so incredibly restricted here to ONLY topics that match perfectly to the subject. That's the only reason I started another post. I didn't want to, but did thinking that was the right thing to do. Still learning what's appropriate here. Sorry.
Watching F1 since 1986.