HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
djos

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

Zynerji wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 00:01
djos wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 23:11
Zynerji wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 22:38

Like last time??
I hope that's sarcasm because the last windscreen test they did was a joke. For starters the poly carbonate they used wasn't molded and secondly it was quite thin. Looked like something you'd find on a motorcycle.
Obvious joke and sarcasm..
oh good, without the "/s" it's hard to tell sometimes.
"In downforce we trust"

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Maybe it would be worth the FIA asking Brittany Force how she would feel about having a halo in that last prang.

cplchanb
cplchanb

johnny comelately wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 15:48
Maybe it would be worth the FIA asking Brittany Force how she would feel about having a halo in that last prang.
the halo may be applicable to other forms of racing but imo its overkill for this one.
Then again its already here so lets all stop doing the whole comparing and 20/20 hindsight BS

FrukostScones

RIC crashed... maybe it was because of the Halo, maybe wet races are history from now on...

as I still think ,Halo will hinder some drivers ... driving fast.

looks might be not th eonly problem with this device.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

roon
roon

Clown wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 11:42
Many have speculated upon how the halo will hinder ingress and egress from the cockpit. Might this image suggest that it will improve? A more ergonomic "pull-up/chin-up" motion from the arms, instead of pivoting on the elbows atop the cockpit sides with a "chicken wings" motion.

FrukostScones wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 18:05
RIC crashed... maybe it was because of the Halo, maybe wet races are history from now on...
as I still think ,Halo will hinder some drivers ... driving fast.
looks might be not th eonly problem with this device.
From the driver himself:

Daniel Ricciardo wrote:So far I can see fine with the halo. I’d only done a couple of installs with it before so it was pretty new today but I really didn’t notice it was there, which is pretty good. Honestly, unless there’s stuff above, I don’t see any issues at all on a flat track. news/21509
Last edited by roon on 20 Feb 2018, 20:22, edited 2 times in total.

strad

How does Brittany's wall slapper in any way relate to the HALO?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

strad wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 20:20
How does Brittany's wall slapper in any way relate to the HALO?
My apologies, I didn't elaborate because i thought it was obvious from the video.
I'm guessing that she would rather have the canopy than a 'halo' (even a silly name)
One aspect of various accident types is when a car is flung into a wall (like alonso) the debris coming into the cockpit is like shrapnel

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Initially I thought of saying that it is important to differentiate between paper thinking and remember the actual violence of crashes, it is an extraordinary thing.
And then I guess it could be said that the drivers who do experience these types of crashes don't seem to be voicing too much objection but i wonder what their opinions would be if it was a 'conscience' vote rather than the stifle of political correctness.
As i said in a previous post, history will judge this badly.

Formula Wrong

roon wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 19:33
Many have speculated upon how the halo will hinder ingress and egress from the cockpit. Might this image suggest that it will improve? A more ergonomic "pull-up/chin-up" motion from the arms, instead of pivoting on the elbows atop the cockpit sides with a "chicken wings" motion.
Egress from the cockpit was particularly difficult with the test Halos last year because they weren't a structural part. The actual Halo is a structural part of course, so the drivers will (should) have it easier to hold onto it while getting in or out of the car.
If you no longer go for the space someone always has to leave, you're no longer a racing driver

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

worth a read from one of motor racing's wisest sages - https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news ... rs-826852/

strad

“The thing is, the only way to make zero odds on anything happening is to not race – or race in a way that nobody would watch.

rick-mears-on-cockpit-protection-for-open-wheel-racecars
Jeeez is there an echo in here?
the debris coming into the cockpit is like shrapnel
That my friend is one very valid point. Also strike one against the HALO. :wink:
Last edited by strad on 27 Feb 2018, 03:31, edited 3 times in total.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

NathanOlder

I still feel if a car rides up on top of another and was to hit the drivers head, the halo may not stop this, the halo would just cut into the floor of the car on top and made a million small daggers now head towards the drivers head.

As for climbing in and out, will the drivers be able to grab and yank on the halo once it has a delicate fairing on it with waffer thin winglets ect ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

NathanOlder wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 09:37
I still feel if a car rides up on top of another and was to hit the drivers head, the halo may not stop this, the halo would just cut into the floor of the car on top and made a million small daggers now head towards the drivers head.
A million low energy scraps which can be dealt with by the helmet or a three-quarter tonne guillotine which can't be? Yeah, the halo won't help at all in that accident... :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NathanOlder

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 10:34
NathanOlder wrote:
A million low energy scraps which can be dealt with by the helmet or a three-quarter tonne guillotine which can't be? Yeah, the halo won't help at all in that accident... :roll:
how about the floor with a Halo cut slot in it where the halo rips through the floor and side pod. Its all possible, So like the pro Halo camp saying a wheel to the head is possible, this is also, yet its over looked for some reason ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Postmoe

NathanOlder wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 12:02
Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 10:34
NathanOlder wrote:
how about the floor with a Halo cut slot in it where the halo rips through the floor and side pod. Its all possible, So like the pro Halo camp saying a wheel to the head is possible, this is also, yet its over looked for some reason ?
Direct observation over time is the only way to get an easy grasp on this.

If it is such a danger we won't need many occurences to see it happen, but I wouldn't be concerned about shards, only about the nose and the halo becoming a very weird lever, powered by the back of the trapped car. But that's kind of the most crazy nutcracker ever seen.

Even then, I believe the pilot has some margin to duck inside his survival cell.