HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NathanOlder

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

You act like the Halo means you can roll the car with no danger anymore.

Close your eyes and imagine a pretty F1 car, some people will picture last years cars. They were the best looking cars weve had in a long time.
I seriously doubt anyone would add a Halo to it to make it prettier, so Everyone (yes a bold statement) would not put a Halo on a car to make it prettier.

And as for the FW16B, If it had a Halo, what makes you think the halo would sit on top of the gravel ? because thats what it would take to hold the car at a different angle as you claim
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

jjn9128

Ugh I'm being sucked into the argument again. For all the examples of cars rolling the cockpit opening, roll hoop head clearance, car length, COG... etc are all different now to what they were in 1991 and 1994, from the Senna and Hill examples, so the cars sit differently now. A more current example would be Perez in Hungary '15 where the halo would definitely have increased the size of the aperture for egress.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

NathanOlder wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 16:37
You act like the Halo means you can roll the car with no danger anymore.

Close your eyes and imagine a pretty F1 car, some people will picture last years cars. They were the best looking cars weve had in a long time.
I seriously doubt anyone would add a Halo to it to make it prettier, so Everyone (yes a bold statement) would not put a Halo on a car to make it prettier.

And as for the FW16B, If it had a Halo, what makes you think the halo would sit on top of the gravel ? because thats what it would take to hold the car at a different angle as you claim
Ive said no such thing because I wouldn't as it's not true. Best looking in a while but nowhere near as good looking as the cars from earlier. That's like saying Katie Price is a good looking woman as long as you have never seen another woman ever :wink:

Ugly, is ugly, is ugly unfortunately. As I say if it was stuck on a great car with great lines then I'd be in line about it but it's not.

There is no evidence to say it would or it wouldn't it depends on the situation which just adds more needed variables to it. As for the FW16B now THAT was a great looking car.
Last edited by Restomaniac on 05 Mar 2018, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

NathanOlder

Yeah time will tell,

p.s dont bring the subject of women up.... we'll be going on for hours about grid girls :shock:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

NathanOlder wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 17:04
Yeah time will tell,

p.s dont bring the subject of women up.... we'll be going on for hours about grid girls :shock:
Fair enough. I'm not sure Katie Price counts these days anyway :wink: :wtf:

BTW thankyou for the adult conversation. =D>

NathanOlder

Restomaniac wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 17:18
NathanOlder wrote:
Yeah time will tell,

No problem \:D/

At least tomorrow bring soooooo much more to talk about.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

NathanOlder wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 17:21
Restomaniac wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 17:18
NathanOlder wrote:
Yeah time will tell,

No problem \:D/

At least tomorrow bring soooooo much more to talk about.
Yep :D

NathanOlder

Can I just ask, in the video with the FIA showing ssomeone climbing out of the cockpit, is it just me or does it seem like the airbox/roll hoop is a good 8 inches off the ground creating more room for a driver exit ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

NathanOlder wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 18:46
Can I just ask, in the video with the FIA showing ssomeone climbing out of the cockpit, is it just me or does it seem like the airbox/roll hoop is a good 8 inches off the ground creating more room for a driver exit ?
yeah i must say i took time to check the video again and yes, it was held up - surprised me too.
then again, this 'test' was without an airbox and i feel like they were 'mimicking' the position it would have been with an airbox. not a good test then, i admit.

i had another image about exiting the car upside down with the halo from the FIA if i'm correct but i can't find it anymore, weird. gotta dig in my bookmarks again i guess. why do i make such a mess of my bookmarks? #-o

fwiw though - i'll repeat, it's not like i'm embracing the halo with arms wide open, but i do see the reason for it, and i think it's far from bad in that aspect. also the simple truth that we can't avoid it being there.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

btw, MOTOGP solution

"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

also,

not the picture i was after, but something atleast. also not making a point with this, just putting it out there for reference.

also about 'getting out of narrow room' :

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Manoah2u wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 20:52
also,

http://i.imgur.com/pk5eWhf.png

not the picture i was after, but something atleast. also not making a point with this, just putting it out there for reference.

also about 'getting out of narrow room' :

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/upl ... .jpg?w=960
http://home.bt.com/images/drivers-lucky ... 120407.jpg
http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/resource ... s/5262436/
Looking at the last 3 photos all I can think is 'It was at that moment Steve knew he'd ****** **' :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Just to be annoying, the halo would have prevented Brundle from being hit in the head by Verstappen's wheel in Brazil 94...Brundle was lucky that day.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NathanOlder

Just to be super annoying, this image

If there is any scale to this picture, the wheel rims on an F1 car are not much bigger than a crash helmet. 13 inch rim is about 33cm, which isn't far off the size oh a crash helmet. Now look how small the gap is that a driver needs to escape through. Then add the fact the Halo will not sit ontop of gravel, it will sink a couple of inches as well as the roll hoop.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

AJI
AJI

Just_a_fan wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 14:34
strad wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 02:09
Quite frankly my quoting of Newey had only to do with the attractiveness because his job is not to make it pretty just fast.
I was just injecting a little levity in to an otherwise dull and cyclical argument about the halo.

As you say, no one is paid to make racing cars look pretty, only to make them fast.
In the case of the Halo, which does absolutely nothing for looks or performance, perhaps they could have hired a designer to make this safety device more aesthetically appealing? This thread wouldn't even exist if that hideously out-of-proportion device wasn't such an assault to the optic nerve.
Indy are in the process of proving that cockpit head protection CAN be a safety device AND look good.
A properly thought through device can achieve both of those objectives, but with a little more effort I'm sure it could also improve performance. Win, win, win!