HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
hecan
hecan

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

NathanOlder wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 21:51
I guess this appeals to the kids who play ridge racer or need for speed ?
I would say this appeals anyone with eyes. Halo is horrible on camera

Scorpaguy

HALO (Hated And Loathed Openly) is FIA's (Flatulent Insane Arseholes) latest folly to ruin racing...all in the name of abject safety. Give them time and acing will be reduced to fat, pimply-faced X-boxers reclined in front of big screens.

FIA will likely be in the midst of an eye-strain study controversy.

...sadly, in this virtual racing hell, the cars will still sound like crap.

strad

could not agree more Scorpaguy
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

roon
roon

They should integrate all the roll-hoop mounted cameras and lights seamlessly into the next-gen of the halo. That would clean things up a bit. Nothing hanging off the airbox anymore.

Rodak
Rodak

I still think it's a good idea for the FIA to require teams to put the drivers' abbreviated names on the halo; it would make identification of who we are watching much better and cost nothing.

strad

True enough
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Force India reveals... their latest 'must-have' - halo accessory..

"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

lol. i do think SKY has done a pretty smart move in projecting brake/throttle/gear info on the halo shape. i don't however enjoy their speed projection above it nor the blueish shine they put on top of it that pretty much obstructs the view. i find that distracting. let's hope they further improve that for next race and implement the speedometer in the halo shape too, shouldn't be too hard with what they already have, and then ditch the blue shine above it.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

strad

Manoah2u you're 100% correct about the blue halo on the HALO as far as I'm concerned
Sir Stirling Moss

NathanOlder

Is this not just from the main feed. Not sky doing it ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

This is FOM that has applied it, however not all broadcasters have access to it, Sky Sports were one of two or three available.

Its a great innovation, but it needs a tweak or two, the colour and shading need tweaked, and also the driver number and TLA needs to be placed in there somewhere.

However, i will say whilst i hate the halo, i am getting used to it being on the cars.

adrianjordan

Channel 4 had it too.

Don't know whether I like it or not. Seems a bit computer game inspired, but makes use of the dead space created by the halo....
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

NathanOlder

Yeah like i said before, the Need for speed kids will love it..... trouble is, they wont be watching F1 on a sunday afternoon. They will be hammering the xbox instead.

Get rid of the funky graphics and put the camera with extra wide angle lens on the halo so we can see the front wheels and front wing please.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

johnny vee

NathanOlder wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 11:38
Yeah like i said before, the Need for speed kids will love it..... trouble is, they wont be watching F1 on a sunday afternoon. They will be hammering the xbox instead.

Get rid of the funky graphics and put the camera with extra wide angle lens on the halo so we can see the front wheels and front wing please.
...Yes please!
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

zac510
zac510

Wide angle lens reduces the perception of speed. You will complain about that, too.