Good bye Sepang Circuit Malaysia.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mycadcae

Good bye Sepang Circuit Malaysia.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( SEPANG: More than 100,000 fans thronged the Sepang International Circuit as they bid goodbye to the last Formula 1 race on Malaysian soil.And it isn’t just the 110,604 fans who are finding it hard to say farewell to the racing circuit, but the F1 drivers as well.Three-time Formula 1 champion and Mercedes-AMG Petronas pilot Lewis Hamilton is sad that it will be his and the team’s last race in Sepang, adding that he has many fond memories of the track.

He said the crowd since Thursday was “awesome”.

“This is the most fans I’ve seen in my 10 years put together today (Sunday),” he added.

Williams Martini Racing driver Felipe Massa said he has many good memories of Sepang.

“I scored my first point ever of my career in 2002 in my second race. I got to know Malaysia well as I used to race for Sauber Petronas and got to see many different towns here.

“I have so many great friends, it really is a shame not to race here,” he said.

Massa said his friends always invited him to spend holidays in Malaysia, adding that he would definitely return when he has more time on his hands.

Fernando Alonso said that it was a shame that this was the last race here

Bevy of beauties: Part of the Petronas umbrella girls posing for a photograph at the circuit.

“I won’t miss the weather here, but the circuit is just amazingly challenging the way the temperatures and weather change drastically.

“I have won here with Renault, Ferrari, and Mclaren, so it has been a good circuit for me on the personal side,” he said.

Race winner Max Verstappen who celebrated his 20th birthday at the track on Saturday said he loved how fast and technical the circuit was.

“It’s just a shame that we won’t be coming here anymore,” he said.

Verstappen, who is the youngest racer to win a Formula 1 race at Sepang, said the heat here was challenging for the car and driver.

He has already been to Langkawi and loved the beaches there.

“I would definitely come back if time allows it,” he said.

Among the fans who turned up at the race was conservationist Harjinder Kler, 41, who had bought tickets to the Grand Prix as a graduation gift for her nephew Nathan Wood, 21.

“I wanted to bring him to the F1 Grand Prix in 2005, but I could not afford the tickets then.

“I’m thankful that they were selling the tickets at a cheap price this year.

“I’m sad that this will be the last F1 Grand Prix here,” she lamented.

For British couple Lin and Elaine Eversden, who flew in from North Hamptonshire, England, they have made it an annual tradition to come to Sepang for the Grand Prix since 2000.

“We love this place. We would still come to Malaysia because we’ve made many friends here during the event.

“Some of them are even English! They live too far away in the UK, so we only meet them in Malaysia once a year,” chuckled Lin, 64.

Elaine, also 64, even made T-shirts to commemorate the last Malaysian Grand Prix.

The front side was a picture of a Malaysian flag, with the words “Sepang F1, 1999-2017” written underneath it.

Behind it were printed the words: “Selamat Tinggal” (Goodbye).

“We have been coming every year since 2000. I just wanted to say thank you to Malaysia for hosting the event,” she said.

- thestar
Regard,
Nik Wan, Mechanical Designer, CATIA V5/ Solidworks/Autodesk Inventor/ AutoCAD

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: Good bye Sepang Circuit Malaysia.

I will thoroughly miss this circuit, it is one of my favourites. It was moving to see Max take the win vividly remembering his father having an amazing drive in the Orange Arrows years ago only to be pleagued as usual by a technical issue seeing yet another DNF. I actually was expecting Max to get another of those jinxes he seemingly inherited from his father by the way this season has been to him. Thankfully, that did not happen.

It was a great end to 19 seasons of F1 in Malaysia. I don't actually know why there isn't one as of next year, but it will be thoroughly missed. I hope singapore won't be taken off the F1 calendar.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

NathanOlder

Wasn't it due to the Malaysian Prime Minister not wanting to spend the state money on renewing the deal.
If thats the case then there's hope that when he is replaced, a new deal could be made with a new prime minister
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

Wasn't it due to the Malaysian Prime Minister not wanting to spend the state money on renewing the deal.
If thats the case then there's hope that when he is replaced, a new deal could be made with a new prime minister
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

McMrocks
McMrocks

A shame. Probably the best Tilke track next to Turkey. However i can understand that the government can and will not longer spend a whole lot of money for an event only some people can attend to. Malaysia brought some good races, rain races but sadly also some boring ones.

cplchanb
cplchanb

well apparently from F1 Fanatic the PM was also quote to be open for a return for the right price
perhaps if liberty can negotiate a good deal they can come back like turkey might

Singabule
Singabule

Singapore GP kill sepang, and more street circuit to be introduced. What a shame to a proper F1 circuit like sepang with many overtaking opportunities. So sad

mycadcae

I hope come back after 2 5 years ..next.
Regard,
Nik Wan, Mechanical Designer, CATIA V5/ Solidworks/Autodesk Inventor/ AutoCAD