USA fans: say goodbye NBC, hello ESPN

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NYGIANTS
NYGIANTS

Re: USA fans: say goodbye NBC, hello ESPN

this is off topic but the flag they have for brendon hartley is the aussie flag and not the kiwi/new zealand flag.

they look the same but for a tiny detail.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j& ... 261702524

Dazed1
Dazed1

I can stand the NBCSN announcers for, oh, five minutes. If I never again hear the term "disturbed air" I would be happy. It was kind of pleasing when, in Singapore, they didn't know the rule for a "timed race" and called the final lap one lap early. :P

TAG

Has there been any kind of announcement from the folks at NBC? I know they've half mentioned it but I've seen nothing official from them. The way Will Buxton is talking, I think he feels they're not bringing him over to ESPN.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Moose
Moose

More importantly for US viewers, the FOM announced that they're going to start running a stand alone streaming service. https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13254 ... ng-service

flynfrog

Dazed1 wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 01:07
I can stand the NBCSN announcers for, oh, five minutes. If I never again hear the term "disturbed air" I would be happy. It was kind of pleasing when, in Singapore, they didn't know the rule for a "timed race" and called the final lap one lap early. :P
No worries after 5 minutes they will be at commercial break.

zeph
zeph

Moose wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 16:45
More importantly for US viewers, the FOM announced that they're going to start running a stand alone streaming service. https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13254 ... ng-service
This could be the best US F1 news ever. If they keep cost reasonable, I'd happily pay for a season pass if it allows to watch without commercial interruptions.

I'm thinking $3 per race or $60 for a season. If it is more than that, I may still do it, but it won't be a no-brainer.

strad

The live stream offerings will only be available in markets where it would not clash with pre-exiting television deals that have guaranteed exclusivity.
Seems that would include the U.S..
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

JordanFiveOh
JordanFiveOh

strad wrote:
The live stream offerings will only be available in markets where it would not clash with pre-exiting television deals that have guaranteed exclusivity.
Seems that would include the U.S..
Well, that is a reason that NBC didn’t renew, because they didn’t want to “compete” with another service, which makes it seem that ESPN agreed to not be exclusive.

Moose
Moose

zeph wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 06:00
Moose wrote:
This could be the best US F1 news ever. If they keep cost reasonable, I'd happily pay for a season pass if it allows to watch without commercial interruptions.

I'm thinking $3 per race or $60 for a season. If it is more than that, I may still do it, but it won't be a no-brainer.
I think your pricing expectations are likely to be out by roughly an order of magnitude. Consider - a movie is typically of the order of $10-15 for 2 hours of entertainment. A race weekend reliably gives 4 hours of entertainment (1 hour qualifying, 2 hours race, half an hour of pre-race and pre-qualifying), and more like 8-10 hours for people like us who are really into it. I fully expect to see liberty charging $20 a race weekend.

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

WRC offer a year's subscription to their archived live stages, highlights and onboards (every car, every stage). During the event there is at least 2 hours of live stages, sometimes up to 5 as well as daily roundups and of course live timing and maps. This costs €50 per year. It's a pretty good deal, but no way will the cost of full coverage of an F1 season be comparable. We're going to be looking at €400 or more for a similar subscription.

I can hope, though, they offer only race coverage and cheaper reruns and highlights. Personally, the race is all I watch live anyway.

zeph
zeph

Moose wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 03:07
zeph wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 06:00
Moose wrote:

I think your pricing expectations are likely to be out by roughly an order of magnitude. Consider - a movie is typically of the order of $10-15 for 2 hours of entertainment. A race weekend reliably gives 4 hours of entertainment (1 hour qualifying, 2 hours race, half an hour of pre-race and pre-qualifying), and more like 8-10 hours for people like us who are really into it. I fully expect to see liberty charging $20 a race weekend.
Perhaps, we'll see. In the Bernie years, I would have been inclined to agree.

But Liberty Media has talked a lot about growing the sport, and attracting a younger audience. You don't do that by pricing it out of reach.

Netflix costs $8-15 p/m and gives access to thousands (or millions?) of movies and TV shows. Apple Music costs $10-15 p/m and gives access to hundreds of millions of songs. That is the new reality of streaming, and pricing expectations of the general public have changed accordingly.

If LM starts their streaming service at $400 for a season pass, my guess is they'll soon find out that's gonna be a tough -or impossible- sell.

Steve Jobs famously said: "Price it aggressively, and go for volume", and I think that should be the objective here.

Netflix' 100 million+ subscribers account for more than a billion dollars p/m in revenue. That's a fairly large amount of cash.

I'm not entirely sure about F1's TV viewing figures, but a perfunctory google search suggests that it's around 3.5 million viewers per race and 400 million viewers per year? [please correct me if I'm wrong here]

Say you get 1 percent of those viewers to pay for a $400 season pass, that is $1.6 billion in revenue. Get 10 percent of those viewers to pay for a $60 season pass, and it's $2.4 billion. Etc. etc.

I'm pulling these numbers out of my posterior, but you get the point.

P.S.
You used movie purchase prices as a reference point; I believe rental prices are a more realistic starting point. Out here it's typically $5.99 for new releases, with prices dropping to $3.99 after a few months.
Last edited by zeph on 31 Oct 2017, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.

I'd like to see Liberty Media open up the F1 vaults and show races from past seasons. Maybe make all the races they have footage from for the next track on the schedule. For instance the next 2 weeks on the site any of the past Brazilian GPs would be available to watch. Or make the entire video library available.

That would add a little bit of value. Perhaps the first Malaysian GP on the F1 website prior to the last Malaysian GP was a hint of things to come.

zeph
zeph

Yes, access to the entire F1 back catalog would be incredible. If I can watch an old race for a few bucks, I'd want to do that.

zeph
zeph

Thinking about this some more, I can see how a tiered system could make sense:

-Basic: watch every race of the season once. Either live or replay.
-Extended: watch every race weekend (including FP and Q) of the season unlimited times, live and replay.
-Premium/VIP: all-access to all content, all the time, including back catalog.

Or something like that. I'd probably opt for a basic package, and pay for individual classic races I may want to see (again).

dans79

So far the best thing about the switch, is that I was able to unsubscribe from the NBC YouTube channel and thus stop getting bombard with 2 minutes soccer clips. [-o<
197 104 103 7