What's Liberty Media bringing to the table?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
jjn9128

Re: What's Liberty Media bringing to the table?

Sevach wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 09:34
Liberty has purchased the Manor 2017 windtunnel model, team led by Ross Brawn will explore windtunnel concepts for the 2021 car.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... 80493.html
Makes sense. Nicholas Tombasiz is consulting with them, though the aero team is being led by Jason Somerville.

They've not just hired aero guys but engine and marketing. They've created a number of projects to study the current health of the sport THEN make suggestions, rather than being reactionary as has been the case in the past. Makes it all the more laughable that Steiner and Fernley are complaining nothing has been actioned yet... they've just finished setting up the new office and hiring staff.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

marmer
marmer

With what manor did with said wind tunnel might not be up to much joking aside it's. Smart move

CBeck113
CBeck113

The German media (ARD I believe) has repoerted that Liberty is trying to reach a deal with Netflix ... that is something I can really get behind (my wife just started us on it, and other than live sports and news we don't watch anything else).
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

jjn9128

CBeck113 wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 15:01
The German media (ARD I believe) has repoerted that Liberty is trying to reach a deal with Netflix ... that is something I can really get behind (my wife just started us on it, and other than live sports and news we don't watch anything else).
Not for races though - it would be for 'digital content'. Whatever that means. There is rumour they're looking to stream races at some point, but there are a lot of contracts with different broadcasters in different countries that it may take a while before it happens, or at least is available to everyone.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

jjn9128

marmer wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 14:13
With what manor did with said wind tunnel might not be up to much joking aside it's. Smart move
It's difficult to know where they would have been competitively, but I can guarantee the car isn't as refined as the Mercedes/Red Bull/Ferarri...etc. So ultimately what are they learning from it?
#aerogandalf

TAG

Sevach wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 09:34
Liberty has purchased the Manor 2017 windtunnel model, team led by Ross Brawn will explore windtunnel concepts for the 2021 car.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... 80493.html
You need to buy a wind tunnel to REMOVE aero dependency from F1 cars? :mrgreen:

I think the one thing about the whole Liberty thing that makes me feel comfortable is knowing they've got Ross on board.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

TAG

jjn9128 wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 15:05
CBeck113 wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 15:01
Not for races though - it would be for 'digital content'. Whatever that means. There is rumour they're looking to stream races at some point, but there are a lot of contracts with different broadcasters in different countries that it may take a while before it happens, or at least is available to everyone.
On demand streamed races after the season ends is something I'd easily see as added Netflix content.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

DJ Hardwell on the podium, so dumb. Clearly the people at Liberty have no idea why people go to an EDM gig.

wesley123
wesley123

Cold Fussion wrote:
29 Oct 2017, 23:08
DJ Hardwell on the podium, so dumb. Clearly the people at Liberty have no idea why people go to an EDM gig.
I'm not sure anyone knows why people go to an EDM gig :P

I don't think the idea in itself is bad, it just felt too forced. The whole vibe around it gave me the idea that Hardwell was the headline, instead of the GP. It was really misplaced considering the podium ceremony and the WDC which was decided that race.

"Verstappen won the race with Bottas second and Raikkonen third. Lewis Hamilton secured his 4th WDC, but who cares here is Hardwell playing music only a minority of the visitors will like!"
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

skoop
skoop

I thought it was a cool idea.