Penalize teams and not drivers?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Ennis
Ennis

Re: Penalize teams and not drivers?

belldanndy wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 04:56
AJI wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 22:35
strad wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 21:44
the ONLY thing the teams care about is the WCC since that is how the money is paid out.
And we all know that F1 is all about the money and prestige of that title.
The backmarkers need the CC cash, but the top teams want the DC prestige. Only the WDC gets to wear the number 1 on the car. Ferrari and Red Bull want that way more than the cash.
No number 1 on the car now .......... all drivers use their personal number.
The WDC has the option to use Number 1, just that Hamilton has opted not to (and Rosberg retired thus removing the chance).

NathanOlder

Im sure Vettel (the finger thing) would have had No.1 next year if he won. Maybe even Ferrari would have made him run the No.1.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

Well then how about both the constructors and the driver's points get taken out if that happens? I always thought it's stupid for the drivers to lose points for something that is out of their control. I don't buy the argument that the WDC is more important than the WCC. You gotta hit the teams where it hurts and that's monies and that's the WCC.

AJI
AJI

belldanndy wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 04:56

No number 1 on the car now .......... all drivers use their personal number.
Only because HAM prefers his own number. The number 1 is reserved for the WDC. He may use it or his own number.
I can guarantee you, if VET had won this year the number 1 would be on the car. There's probably a 10 million dollar bonus in it for him!

Edit: woops, i just noticed others had made these exact statements above, and I completely agree!

kalinka
kalinka

Let's value every PU element , something like >
ICE = 50k USD
Turbo = 10k USD

or whatewer.
Team who changes some element must pay for all changed elements, and the money gets divided between every team with less points in WCC standings. The team with the least points getting the most money. Last team in WCC standings has a benefit not to pay. They can use a multiplication factor by WCC standing to punish the bigger / higher ranked teams.
Just my brain fart :) Not gonna happen I know.

krisfx
krisfx

Another one of these threads, again? If a driver crashes, under this logic, the team should get the points they would have won if the driver hadn't crashed. After all, it's not the team's fault a driver stuffed it.

I'm sure the search function exists on this forum.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

krisfx wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 16:50
Another one of these threads, again? If a driver crashes, under this logic, the team should get the points they would have won if the driver hadn't crashed. After all, it's not the team's fault a driver stuffed it.

I'm sure the search function exists on this forum.
It's because the vast majority of F1 fans have this fanciful misconception that F1 is a drivers sport and not primarily a competition of who can build the best race car.

DiogoBrand

The car has a far bigger role than the driver in Formula One. But the Driver's Championship has way more prestige. Small teams may think about CC and the money it brings, but I can bet that any big team would throw away the CC any day of the year to win a Drivers' Championship. Perhaps with the exception of Mercedes.

Also, what's the point of being able to throw away CC points to have a better chance at the Drivers' Championship? If you take 10 seconds to think about it, it makes no sense at all.

The fact of the matter is: Penalizing Driver and Team for engine and car failures is the "most fair" option by far, changing it just because "it isn't exciting" doesn't sound too smart.