Can closed Formula 1 cars could be the future ?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
GM7

Can closed Formula 1 cars could be the future ?

There are actually a lot of talk about the future of Formula 1, about the future aero philosophy, the cockpit protection, the engines, and even about the logo…
Friday, when i was watching FP1 some drivers were testing the Halo. I came to the conclusion that there is not a Formula one DNA, so why don’t we close the Formula one cars (cockpit and wheels).

In fact it could be a very good solution for all the current problems we have. Closing the wheels can reduce significantly the drag and dirty air. By the way without the drag caused by the wheels the fuel efficiency would be much better, Top speed highter, so the brake distance longer. Look at this Mercedes W196, yes it’s an old Formula one !

In addition, it would have more place for sponsorship and driver’s number with the wheels covers.
I would like to know your opinion about wheels covers, canopy or Halo solutions ! In my opinion Formula one have to change.

NathanOlder

Re: Can closed Formula 1 cars could be the future ?

The problem of being trapped in the car would be a big problem. WEC cars have side doors so its just about ok. F1 cars can't really have a side door without weakening the tub.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Edax
Edax

GM7 wrote:
25 Nov 2017, 22:39
There are actually a lot of talk about the future of Formula 1, about the future aero philosophy, the cockpit protection, the e]ngines, and even about the logo…
Friday, when i was watching FP1 some drivers were testing the Halo. I came to the conclusion that there is not a Formula one DNA, so why don’t we close the Formula one cars (cockpit and wheels).

http://i.imgur.com/vBMDW0L.jpg

In fact it could be a very good solution for all the current problems we have. Closing the wheels can reduce significantly the drag and dirty air. By the way without the drag caused by the wheels the fuel efficiency would be much better, Top speed highter, so the brake distance longer. Look at this Mercedes W196, yes it’s an old Formula one !

http://www.laberezina.com/images/2014/V ... W196-2.jpg

In addition, it would have more place for sponsorship and driver’s number with the wheels covers.
I would like to know your opinion about wheels covers, canopy or Halo solutions ! In my opinion Formula one have to change.
I agree on the cockpit, I think that F1 can take a cue from its waterborne cousin.

It is possible to transition to a closed cockpit and still be badass.

Closing up the wheels. I think that would be too much of a sacrifice. I think a closed cockpit would be better served with a reintroduction of ground effect. A cockpit would look better on a shorter stubbier car IMO.

GM7

I like this concept of aeroscreen/shield and i'm quite sure that's what we will have in 2 or 3 years. Concerning the overtaking problem i'm more and more for a closed wheels concept. In addition, if we closed the wheels, the carbon fiber part on the aeroscreen isn't needed.

jjn9128

Early indications are that the next Formula E body kit will look how you describe.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

roon
roon

The survival cell is straight-sided. The cockpit is as wide at its base as it is at its top. An access hatch could be added beneath the driver, as wide as the topside entry. Layer the hatch panel with Zylon and maintain intrusion protection. The plank would need to be sectioned at the hatch border.

In the event of an inverted car requiring driver extraction, such a floor hatch could be used. Pull out the whole seat, driver attached. Spec the safety belts to be attached to the seat and not the chassis directly. Rigid-ize the seat to facilitate safety belt mounting. Mount the seat with a vertical sliding joint and a single cam latch or similar quick release operable by the driver or rescue crew. The driver could unlatch the seat & hatch and push themselves out if needed. They'll look a little silly pushing themselves out the floor of the car with their seat still attached, but this is the price of safety.

hecan
hecan

I hope it will be the future, along with the closed wheels concept, which could solve all the dirty air problems we are having right now (and as stated before by GM7). It's almost anachronical that teams still have to fight with the open wheel concept when there is no advantage nor need to do so, and closed wheels even look better.

GM7

0 Report this post Quote
Unread post by hecan » 27 Nov 2017, 22:55

I hope it will be the future, along with the closed wheels concept, which could solve all the dirty air problems we are having right now (and as stated before by GM7). It's almost anachronical that teams still have to fight with the open wheel concept when there is no advantage nor need to do so, and closed wheels even look better.
I can understand that in people mind, formula one is associated with an open wheeler concept but in reality the Formula One represents the pinnacle of cars performances. In addition, nowadays cars manufacturers are trying to reduce the drag to improve the fuel efficiency of their cars.
Todays F1 looks like vintage cars. People needs to dream when they see a Formula One, that's why the design need to look futuristic.
Some rumors about the 2021 aero concept say that it will look futuristic but the halo will be maintain...I can't wait to see how it's looks.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

GM7 wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 00:02
https://mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net/proje ... d59f50.jpg

I like this concept of aeroscreen/shield and i'm quite sure that's what we will have in 2 or 3 years. Concerning the overtaking problem i'm more and more for a closed wheels concept. In addition, if we closed the wheels, the carbon fiber part on the aeroscreen isn't needed.
i still love this design so friggin much
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

mzso
mzso

GM7 wrote:
25 Nov 2017, 22:39
There are actually a lot of talk about the future of Formula 1, about the future aero philosophy, the cockpit protection, the engines, and even about the logo…

http://i.imgur.com/vBMDW0L.jpg

http://www.laberezina.com/images/2014/V ... W196-2.jpg

I could and it should be closed wheel, at least technologically. But of course it's squarely ignored. And some weird fetish of viewers and even many of those within F1 makes it seem impossible. It wasn't even brought up during all this 2021 ruleset arguing... ](*,)

It's utterly nuts that four giant cylinders are dragged around in clean air. As you said it's in fact that a major cause in all the vortex and turbulence generation, that ruined racing for nearly the past decade and a half.

It wouldn't only be more efficient but also safer. No tire-to-tire contact and cars taking flight, and wheels bouncing around. Especially if there were regulations for the cars to have a good measure of mechanical strength on all sides which would prevent rubble from littering the track.

I see no need for a closed cockpit though. Something like the RB aeroscreen for Indycar would be fine. I would have the center column engineered out and extend the sides further back to give the drivers a good 240-270 degrees field of view. The shoulder pads can be thrown out, or replaced by ones that stay below the eye-line. The last race in Italy proved how horrible the situation is in this regard.