General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
HPD

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

etusch wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 08:32
hasika wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 05:23
https://members.f1-life.net/report/74395/

Spec 3 almost completed,more powerful than Renault's Spec C.
Can this power comparation be reason why redbull tried renault spec c?
The decision of Red Bull to use the Renault spec C engine is a mystery to me..
It can be simple comparison of engines as you say.

Big Tea

HPD wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 13:47
etusch wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 08:32
hasika wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 05:23
https://members.f1-life.net/report/74395/

Spec 3 almost completed,more powerful than Renault's Spec C.
Can this power comparation be reason why redbull tried renault spec c?
The decision of Red Bull to use the Renault spec C engine is a mystery to me..
It can be simple comparison of engines as you say.
'There is no such thing as wasted knowledge' (can not find who that is attributed to) especially if you are going to a different supplier next year (me)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

carisi2k

In 12 months Honda has progressed so much further then they ever could have done with Mclaren. To be honest I think the red bull family is the best place for Honda to be and they seem to be on the right track going forward.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Have they? Because as far as I can see they've just brought yet another update they were singing praises about - that then didn't work on the track like it did on the dyno. You know, same as the last few years.

Wouter

PhillipM wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 17:33
Have they? Because as far as I can see they've just brought yet another update they were singing praises about - that then didn't work on the track like it did on the dyno. You know, same as the last few years.
"You know, same as the last few years."

It is not true what you are saying here @PhillipM . Honda has used FP1 and FP2 to test the spec 3.0. It was not the intention to drive the whole weekend with this engine. Moreover, they wanted the grid penalties here and not in Japan. Since last year they have made a lot of progress. With the spec 2.3, Gasly today even defeated Hulkenberg, Sainz, Alonso and Vandoorne in Q1. Much more better and experienced drivers. It shows that this Honda engine was already faster than the spec B Renault engine.
The Power of Dreams!

etusch

PhillipM wrote:
As Mclaren conditions became obvious how can you still say that Honda failed when they said we have gains. Another point they struggled to use updates and most of those because of less test more update to give the team more power. But there wasn't a turn for hard work of
Honda.
How much power over the engine Mclaren used last year? Most of works on reliability wasn't it?
If there is not any progress what is the point of saving this engine to Japan?

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

PhillipM wrote:
Honda has been quite restrained in what it's said about this update from what I've seen, no wild claims from Honda just journalists sniffing around asking for horsepower figures.
They appear to have been following a strict plan to test the new spec and gather data, take grid drops to avoid them at the home race and then use the data gathered to get the new spec into the best possible condition to race in Japan. If they can't do that, then they have the option of running the older spec. Then use the new spec in following races. This will be all aimed at 2019 and Red Bull. TR is to all intents and purposes a test mule for Red Bull.

yener

Tanabe told motorsport yesterday that there was some unusual behaviour of the SPEC 3 on track and that they are trying to sort this out. He admitted that they need some calibration to improve the driveability, but besides the calibration story, there is a story of "unusual engine behaviour. Now they aren´t sure they can use SPEC3 at the Japanese GP.
What is also really important is that they didnt intend to switch back to SPEC2 after FP1 and FP2. It was necessary.

source: https://nl.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda ... n/3186922/

I am a bit worried. I believe they are working really hard and had a huge reorganization, but how can you not see those problems at the dyno? I can remember a few years ago the honda windtunnel was wrong. Maybe the dyno calibration is also wrong.

What about Honda and TR would use the remaining races as a test? To get as much as data as possible.

I really hope that they will solve the problems, but reading back the McLaren Honda topic of their first season back in the F1 got me worried
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

Sieper

Wait a few days. Then we will see if the Spec C is not up for it yet (or if it is) and then we can speculate further (or perhaps further information will be provided by STR and Honda). Originally the Spec 3 was aimed for the GP of the Americas so they have pulled it forward a bit.

etusch

Of course they don't want to see engine failed during racing as they didn't failed for so long this season on track.
In the other side we read a news says they are planning experiment somethings for next season. If there is nothing to make engine fail during racing they will use it anyway I think.

ispano6

Honda is simply being pragmatic. It would be foolish to be hasty and risk needlessly damaging a precious engine. The goal was to introduce the engine to take the penalties and evaluate the new PU mappings.

This was all for preparation of the Suzuka special. Not for some measly 12th or 13th place in Sochi. Sochi was a throw away race from the get go.

If anything, I would be worried about a repeat of the car failure. It will be utterly devastating for that to happen at the home race with the spec3 in use during the race. Knowing the surrounding adversity of the midfield I'm already braced for an unfortunate DNF due to a racing incident in which only the TR drivers are penalized! Best to just qualify ahead of them and leave them in the dust. REDBULL should be using spec C in Suzuka so we'll see more apples to oranges comparisons but nevertheless we should see an interesting race as it seems the conditions are very likely to be damp and wet!

Wouter

Great news!!

TOYOHARU TANABE
TECHNICAL DIRECTOR, HONDA F1

" For the first time in the history of this race, Honda is the title sponsor of the Japanese Grand Prix. It is also a special anniversary, as we celebrate the 30th time the race has been held at Suzuka, dating back to the first one in 1987.

"This will be our first home race as Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda and the two drivers have had a very busy time since arriving in Japan, visiting several Honda factories. We plan to run the latest specification PU, which we used on Friday in Sochi, so we hope we can have a really strong race in front of our home fans."
The Power of Dreams!

GhostF1
GhostF1

Wouter wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 15:39
Great news!!

TOYOHARU TANABE
TECHNICAL DIRECTOR, HONDA F1

" For the first time in the history of this race, Honda is the title sponsor of the Japanese Grand Prix. It is also a special anniversary, as we celebrate the 30th time the race has been held at Suzuka, dating back to the first one in 1987.

"This will be our first home race as Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda and the two drivers have had a very busy time since arriving in Japan, visiting several Honda factories. We plan to run the latest specification PU, which we used on Friday in Sochi, so we hope we can have a really strong race in front of our home fans."
This should silence the negative story fabricators on this forum... excellent news!

Wouter

Many congratulations to all the people of Honda and @Wazari !!
Superb a 6th and 7th place for STR !! Even better, because it is also in Honda's homeland Japan.
Congratulations again for the hard work of all of you !!
=D> =D> =D>

The Power of Dreams!

sennafan68
sennafan68

A genuinely happy team !!