General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wazari

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Maybe, just maybe...........RBR, STR and Honda are looking past 2019. Maybe the three are working together with a particular strategy for 2019 to ultimately try and benefit all three for 2020. Perhaps there are 3 to 5 PU upgrades in the pipeline for 2019. RBR's strategy would be to garner as many points for WCC standings in 2019. STR would be used to introduce as many upgrades as Honda deems suitable for racing in 2019. The current limits on testing allowed along with component penalties dictates PU strategy in conjunction with each team's overall agenda.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

lio007

Wazari wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 07:44
Maybe, just maybe...........RBR, STR and Honda are looking past 2019. Maybe the three are working together with a particular strategy for 2019 to ultimately try and benefit all three for 2020. Perhaps there are 3 to 5 PU upgrades in the pipeline for 2019. RBR's strategy would be to garner as many points for WCC standings in 2019. STR would be used to introduce as many upgrades as Honda deems suitable for racing in 2019. The current limits on testing allowed along with component penalties dictates PU strategy in conjunction with each team's overall agenda.
I'm quite excited how preseason-testing is going to pan out.
I really hope everything will run smoothly.

BTW: Keep us informed! ;-)
Last edited by lio007 on 15 Jan 2019, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.

dren

That's what the press statements lead me to believe. Marko is throwing praise Newey's way in the press, so it looks like they are trying to retain him past 2019 is some capacity.
Honda!

gandharva

Wazari wrote:
Exactly. I think all 3 (4 if you also count ExxonMobil) partners know that they still have some ground to catch up. Sacrifying TR for another year or even two... is simply the best way to allow Honda to test everything on track asap that comes out of the R&D department while still optimizing the WCC chances for RBR. To sum it up: Because they can. ;)

mzso
mzso

etusch wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 22:19
Redbull start to use it, it can be completely ready to use. By this way Redbull can achieve to finish season with 5 unit as they planned.
They should synchronize their propaganda with Honda, because they keep talking about 3 engines in interviews. (Not that anyone believes it)
Last edited by mzso on 19 Jan 2019, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.

HPD

mzso wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 18:24
etusch wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 22:19
Redbull start to use it, it can be completely ready to use. By this way Redbull can achieve to finish season with 5 unit as they planned.
They should synchronize their propaganda with Honda, because they're keep talking about 3 engines interviews. (Not that anyone believes it)
For a Honda engineer, the main objective should be 3 PU per year.
There is nothing wrong with Honda "propaganda". They have their own objectives.

Now, the strategic objectives such as "team" Red Bull Honda, can be different, and using 5 PU is not a bad idea. :)

Karim28
Karim28

I think RedBull's directors wouldn't care about how many races they will be penalized in if they finished the season with 5-6 wins.
The main target for 2019 is getting some wins whenever it's possible so that Honda would retake its reputation and Redbull shows that its bet on Honda and that the problem was with Renault is right

etusch

Karim28 wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 21:13
I think RedBull's directors wouldn't care about how many races they will be penalized in if they finished the season with 5-6 wins.
The main target for 2019 is getting some wins whenever it's possible so that Honda would retake its reputation and Redbull shows that its bet on Honda and that the problem was with Renault is right
Redbull always says they can up very fast when they started from back. So if Honda can do at least what they do in 2018, that is , if they can finish every race without problem , Redbull can fight for wcc. 5-6 win for Redbull and remained for Ferrari and Mercedes? Then it is possible to win wcc

carisi2k

The new engine should be decent and close enough to mercedes and ferrari to allow red bull to really compete. I think you will find that Toro Rosso might take an engine one race early just to see if there are any issues with the new engine specs as they come on board throughout the year. Here in lies the difference between Toro Rosso and the customer Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault teams that they will still be a factory team even if it is the number 2 factory team. Toro Rosso will not be paying for the engines like racing point, williams, mclaren, sauber and haas will and so they can take an extra engine to see if any issues arise before Red Bull has to.

Big Tea

Can someone please clarify for me if an engine spec has to be sequential in all issues? For an extreme example, can one STR run a different 'spec' or version to the other one
Call it A and B originally in STR cars, and one car takes the C and the other the D. Once RBR need a new unit they take a E spec. and an F spec etc ? (sorry for the over complication and unlikely scenario)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Capharol
Capharol

Big Tea wrote:
17 Jan 2019, 00:21
Can someone please clarify for me if an engine spec has to be sequential in all issues? For an extreme example, can one STR run a different 'spec' or version to the other one
Call it A and B originally in STR cars, and one car takes the C and the other the D. Once RBR need a new unit they take a E spec. and an F spec etc ? (sorry for the over complication and unlikely scenario)
I completly understand what you're saying and it isn't that unlikely, as they did it already last season on some races (at least in FP)
but to answer your question, yes it is possible if the want that 1 driver has (for example) the 3.x version and the oher driver has a 3.y version.
BUT...... first of all i guess they will never do that and secondly the team and Honda will never let that known in public, if they do, they will say both will drive a 3.x version, but it could be poosible that some parts of an egnine are different compared to another engine....

Although I have to say i think it will be very unlikely that the will do that but maybe some of the more technical users can answer this question even better

rogazilla
rogazilla

One thing about a new spec being released is actual mapping. I believe this is the area Honda is behind due to late in the game and did not have a stable concept until now.

It makes sense when a new spec is available to run it on TR and figure out the mapping before install in RBR to be competitive right away. It does not always have to be about reliability.

It was already mentioned the relationship between ICE and MGU-H on different track needs to have different balance to maximize the efficiency of the PU. My hope is that with Red Bull's experience and Data on different track, they can assist in balancing this and help with Mapping. I remember TR has tech at Honda to help mapping in 2018.

ispano6

gandharva wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 14:17
Wazari wrote:
Exactly. I think all 3 (4 if you also count ExxonMobil) partners know that they still have some ground to catch up. Sacrifying TR for another year or even two... is simply the best way to allow Honda to test everything on track asap that comes out of the R&D department while still optimizing the WCC chances for RBR. To sum it up: Because they can. ;)
5 if you count IHI(turbo) and 6 if you count Yuasa(upgraded battery and recovery systems). A little while back you posted about IHI's further involvement for 2019 and this is probably going to be a key development. I'm hoping that Honda F1 Racing extends it's pool of resources to include research that has been done in academia that should help in the battery and ERS department.

https://www.motor1.com/news/18054/honda ... velopment/

HondaRaceReplica
HondaRaceReplica

rogazilla wrote:
17 Jan 2019, 15:35
One thing about a new spec being released is actual mapping. I believe this is the area Honda is behind due to late in the game and did not have a stable concept until now.

It makes sense when a new spec is available to run it on TR and figure out the mapping before install in RBR to be competitive right away. It does not always have to be about reliability.

It was already mentioned the relationship between ICE and MGU-H on different track needs to have different balance to maximize the efficiency of the PU. My hope is that with Red Bull's experience and Data on different track, they can assist in balancing this and help with Mapping. I remember TR has tech at Honda to help mapping in 2018.
I don't think that Red Bull will be as helpful as you think when it comes to the mapping aspect of Tunning the PU...at best they will help Honda in identifying and modifying certain parameters at various tracks due to different characteristics on said tracks...Plain and Simple Honda design and map their Power Unit..You can't expect much from Aero experts when it comes to engine tunning and if that where the case Red Bull would have designed and manufactured their own engine a long long time ago...This is not you average Honda engine that you modify and tune at the Speed Shop but a state of the art piece of machinery and assuming that some random engineer from Red Bull will help map it is quite ludicrous actually...

rogazilla
rogazilla

I agree with what you said. The red bull experience, I should clarify when I said Mapping but it means specific track character on the balance of ice/mgu-h/deployment. Do they expect to be out front and defend the position or do they expect to have to fight from positions back. If they have the grip to accelerate out of corner or do they want more deployment down the straight.