General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
McMika98
McMika98

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

About blown wings i posted few weeks back about a wierd dream where Honda experimented with thrust vectoring engine. Seeing the Renault concept i am convinced the final exhaust pipe could be made to swivel within the allowed parameters to not only blow to the wing but also away when not needed. There isnt a regulation to stop in the current regs for that.

munudeges
munudeges

ispano6 wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 17:17
It isn't because McLaren aren't holding Honda back. What is it with people here thinking that as soon as Honda has some success it's attributed to outside help.
Because that's exactly what's happened.
It's a known fact that Honda is now utilizing the many resources within its own company.
They've utilised their resources for three years and come up with something so consistently off the pace it isn't even funny. McLaren saw no way they were going to remedy the situation and all of a sudden they have performance and reliability. This new combustion technology they are using did not magically come out of Sakura.

ray=out
ray=out

McMika98 wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 22:24
About blown wings i posted few weeks back about a wierd dream where Honda experimented with thrust vectoring engine. Seeing the Renault concept i am convinced the final exhaust pipe could be made to swivel within the allowed parameters to not only blow to the wing but also away when not needed. There isnt a regulation to stop in the current regs for that.
I think, with the intended function of a swiveling exhaust to influence aero, the FIA could probably ban that type of solution as active aero. It will be interesting how the FIA addresses engine modes and blown rear wings, since the blown diffusers were banned due to similar circumstances. I wouldn't be surprised to see STR implement a blown wing solution; Honda seems to have been fairly aggressive on overrun since they've been back, so an aero benefit could be a nice bonus effect.

Wazari

techman wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 21:58
Hi Wazari. - creating a steep angle on the exhaust pipe to create the blown rear wing methond of renault was it discusssed by honda after the test. renault seem to have got good downforce through this method?
I don't know....
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

Wazari

munudeges wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 22:42
I realise you want to take this on as your own and I understand why (embarrassment, loss of face etc. etc.), but your utter abject failure for the past three years (and beyond that into the V8 and V10 eras) speaks far greater volumes. You have not suddenly had an epiphany. There is not a snowball in hell's chance Red Bull as an organisation would take Honda on in the state they have been for that length of time. This engine has to be in a Red Bull next year, not a McLaren.
I am not embarrassed and feel I personally have no reason to be. You are right, this combustion process is not new but I would call it an perpetual change in methodology, not concept. You are also right in that it was not a sudden "epiphany' but a constant development of ideas over decades in the thinking. Lastly the idea for the configuration of combustion hardware to come did not come out of Sakura but the Pacific Palisades, so you are right again.
Last edited by Wazari on 14 Mar 2018, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

Revs84
Revs84

munudeges wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 22:34
ispano6 wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 17:17
It isn't because McLaren aren't holding Honda back. What is it with people here thinking that as soon as Honda has some success it's attributed to outside help.
Because that's exactly what's happened.
It's a known fact that Honda is now utilizing the many resources within its own company.
They've utilised their resources for three years and come up with something so consistently off the pace it isn't even funny. McLaren saw no way they were going to remedy the situation and all of a sudden they have performance and reliability. This new combustion technology they are using did not magically come out of Sakura.
There is no proof of what you're saying, neither the opposite and not sure that we'll find out anytime soon.

That said, I might have never worked at Honda, nor have close connections, but having followed them for 2 decades, I have a good understanding of the Hondamentality and a decent knowledge of their racing history. Together with the Japanese culture, work-ethic and talent, I wouldn't be too quick on jumping on such conclusions.

techman
techman

I don't know....
hi Wazari , i checked to see if any of the honda chiefs for f1 in social media. but looks like they dont have any social media. so i was wondering is it possible to pass the message on to them about introducing the rear blown wing with their next update. it looks to have given renault at least 0.5 second of an advantage.

Roostfactor
Roostfactor

Wazari wrote:
Lastly the idea for the configuration of combustion hardware to come did not come out of Sakura but the Pacific Palisades
Oh boy, Wasari San you certainly will confuse the masses with that one!

Techman,

I am fairly certain Toro Rosso, Honda, Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull, Force India, Williams, Sauber, Haas, and even Mclaren are keenly aware of what Renault has done with their exhaust. If it provides benefit and is legal I'm sure we will see the whole grid with "up" exhausts.

Wazari

Roostfactor wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 06:45

Techman,

I am fairly certain Toro Rosso, Honda, Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull, Force India, Williams, Sauber, Haas, and even Mclaren are keenly aware of what Renault has done with their exhaust. If it provides benefit and is legal I'm sure we will see the whole grid with "up" exhausts.
It's sort of an inside joke, but let's just say that a few Honda "old-farts" like to hang out at a certain spot in the PP when we all get together in CA.

Yes, Techman, all teams keep a careful eye on what others are doing and are well aware of developments far before the general public.

-- Honda Soichiro

PlatinumZealot

techman wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 05:09
I don't know....
hi Wazari , i checked to see if any of the honda chiefs for f1 in social media. but looks like they dont have any social media. so i was wondering is it possible to pass the message on to them about introducing the rear blown wing with their next update. it looks to have given renault at least 0.5 second of an advantage.
That is not up to Honda. That is for Toro Roso to decide.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Wazari wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 07:18
Roostfactor wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 06:45

Techman,

It's sort of an inside joke, but let's just say that a few Honda "old-farts" like to hang out at a certain spot in the PP when we all get together in CA.

Yes, Techman, all teams keep a careful eye on what others are doing and are well aware of developments far before the general public.
Great to know that your combustion ideas came from in-house. Even if it is related to TJI it is still great to know that Honda has the engineers that can compete with anyone.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Snorked
Snorked

techman wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 05:09
I don't know....
Asaki has a Facebook account - though it hasn't seen any activity for years: https://www.facebook.com/yasuaki.asaki

Lets hope he can catch the big fish in F1 8)

Snorked
Snorked

Lol, after I posted that facebook link the account has had its profile updated for the first time since 2015.

A weird coincidence or Asaki reads F1 technical? :shock:

*waves*

rogazilla
rogazilla

Snorked wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 19:58
Lol, after I posted that facebook link the account has had its profile updated for the first time since 2015.

*waves*
Maybe Wazari-san texted him and said 'hey time to update your profile, people noticed'

techman
techman

*waves*
its seem someone has told him f1 honda fans are interested to talk to him.