F1 pitstop should consider replace the manual hydraulic jackboard with pneumatic airjack hose

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Webber2011
Webber2011

Re: F1 pitstop should consider replace the manual hydraulic jackboard with pneumatic airjack hose

If fantastically fast pit stops are such an important part of the battle, can someone explain why Williams haven't been World Champion for the last few years ?
They've set the benchmark when it comes to servicing a F1 car in this era.

Were getting down to the stage where if you have a 2.203 stop, and the guy who was 3 seconds behind on track has a 1.908 stop, it makes absolutely bugger all difference.
You come out in the same position and he still can't get past because of dirty air.
So unless you're a fanatic like most of us here, pit stops are just a bit of a blur that interrupts the race.

I would love to see less crew servicing the car.
One guy on the rattle gun, one guy taking away the old rim and then putting on the new one.
I reckon that would be a fair balance.

Don't get me wrong, I love the way it is now because the work those mechanics do is mesmerizing.
But there's not really a chance anymore of a team pulling off an amazing pit stop, and getting in front of the guy they were following.

santos
santos

Re: F1 pitstop should consider replace the manual hydraulic jackboard with pneumatic airjack hose

Just watch Nascar...

strad

In INDY it was about the limit on men over the wall.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss