Amazon Prime "Grand Prix Driver"

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
the EDGE
the EDGE

Re: Amazon Prime "Grand Prix Driver"

Snorked wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 19:26
It didn't go into an enough detail on the problems encountered. Honda personnel only had about 20 secs of talking time (not including car launch bits), it was a very disappointing series.

Why didn't the engine and gearbox mate in the first place? Who messed up the pins?

Why were McLaren only in the process of preparing and sending a test chassis for Honda's dyno in Japan after they had received the engine?
Maybe Honda should make a documentary if they want air time

It was a Honda part that had to be re-designed. That’s why McLaren staff were asking Honda for the correct specs when offering to re-manufacture the part for them, why’s it important?

Juzh

Very underwhelming imo. Next to no technical information, clearly made for casuals. Vandoorne will not be winning oscars anytime soon.
4/10.

Iowa
Iowa

I was really disappointed by this documentary. Just an overview of the pre-season and the winter preparation of stoffel. I was at least hoping for an inside view of the Barcelona test, with some explanation of the oil tank’s issues and the vibrations from the gearbox and why it sounded that way (hum let me guess, vibrations ?).

But we didn’t get that, we just had an overview of miscommunication during the installation of the engine by Honda and McLaren engineers using a kind of human google trad to speak to each other. That way we get a feel of what we already know will happen at the end of the season.
And on top of that put a very technical chat from the journalists during the Barcelona first day of testing from those Motorsport website whose only technical view were «  Have you heard how bad the mclaren sounded out of the corner ? »Just in that sentence you get the level of those guys. It remind me of brundle saying misfire every time he heard the McLaren pass.
So I will say worth seeing it if you are McLaren’s fan or F1’fan and want to see some detail of the factory, which IMO seriously lack Rock’n roll vibe, and see it as an introduction of the separation of McLaren-Honda. If you want to learn what went wrong go to the Honda Pu thread around page500 and you will get a better understanding of the different issues related to the PU.

But hey ! It’s to that often that we get a F1 documentary and its still cool to see some inside view. So I hope despite all of this there will be more ! [-o<

adrianjordan

I think people on here expecting it to be an in depth technical piece were always going to be disappointed. It was always going to be a piece about the people involved.

I for one found it interesting.

The disappointment after the first test was so apparent, it's pretty clear that will have had an impact on the team performance throughout the season.

Tell you what, the 2012 car model in the 2017 livery looked pretty cool..!!

I'd never really seen much of Stoffel before, comes across as a really nice guy. Will be good to see how he does in a (hopefully) much more competitive car this season.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

shady
shady

I havent seen the whole thing but for what I've seen it's kind of searched the surface. McLaren did not seem organized whatsoever to be so casual knowing that they were perpetually behind schedule is indictive of a midfield team .. Missing shakedowns because of manufacturing delays shows a resource construction. There was no urgency the episodes that I've seen so far

McMika98
McMika98

Just watched it few times and it was absolute shocking how bad the planning and organisation was. Clearly the people were bit relaxed after Ron was out. There just wasnt a firm leadership pushing to bring events on line rather than just accepting delays.
The assemblers doing the floor were perplexed by the intricate designs and struggling, but there were no engineers around to guide which id expect for a first build. The gearbox mating issues again seems to be minor maybe off by few mm which u can expect on first assemblies.
Eric B seems to be mesmerised by Alonso and maybe his agent. No man is bigger than a team and this might hurt them in future.
The writing is on the wall for Mclaren if they fail this year and signs are not good. Zak B failed to get title sponspor which was his only deliverable. I understand the frustation of the team and morale must be low but the whole place wreaks of mediocrity and finger pointing. I was stunned that John apologised to the staff and lay the blame on Honda just after testing with the whole season remaining. I mean talk about throwing your partner under the bus, it was bad already where every mechanics felt appropriate to bash Honda. I wonder what the garage was like during race weekends for the poor Honda engineers. Damn id quit.

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

It depends how you look on it.
McLaren engineers had high expectations for 2017, and everything fall apart before season has even started.
How would you react?

Imho John did right thing, and if I was in place of McLaren employee, i would like to hear truth and facts from start, not be lied(hard word) to, or be given false hopes.

Despite delays McLaren made car ready for launch and first test, Honda was no near with engine.

McMika98
McMika98

ivanlesk wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 10:23
McLaren engineers had high expectations for 2017, and everything fall apart before season has even started.
How would you react?

Imho John did right thing, and if I was in place of McLaren employee, i would like to hear truth and facts from start, not be lied(hard word) to, or be given false hopes.

Despite delays McLaren made car ready for launch and first test, Honda was no near with engine.

It was just testing, there was an entire season to push for given they had to stick it out with Honda regardless. I agree he had to tell the truth and be critical but there are diplomatical ways of expressing the same truth and bracing for a tough season. They gave up on the season after testing and what followed during the season was even disastrous.
Honda delivered on the timeline just not on the performance benchmark. The reasons for which can be discussed in the engine thread of this forum.
I feel Alonso is the white elephant in the room, i love the guy and root for him but as a company id rather look out for my future interest than placate him. Last year with all the honda funds, free engine and corporate sponsors the team was the only team to make a financial loss. This year the sponsors have left in droves and nothing significant has come in to balance his hefty price tag. To paraphrase Eric, the domino effect will be rolling fast.

RedNEO

McMika98 wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 11:15
ivanlesk wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 10:23
How would you react?

It was just testing, there was an entire season to push for given they had to stick it out with Honda regardless. I agree he had to tell the truth and be critical but there are diplomatical ways of expressing the same truth and bracing for a tough season. They gave up on the season after testing and what followed during the season was even disastrous.
Honda delivered on the timeline just not on the performance benchmark. The reasons for which can be discussed in the engine thread of this forum.
I feel Alonso is the white elephant in the room, i love the guy and root for him but as a company id rather look out for my future interest than placate him. Last year with all the honda funds, free engine and corporate sponsors the team was the only team to make a financial loss. This year the sponsors have left in droves and nothing significant has come in to balance his hefty price tag. To paraphrase Eric, the domino effect will be rolling fast.
Alonso is there biggest asset to some people’s dismay so like it or not they will never let him go willingly. This has nothing to do with Alonso since he has been outstanding as always but the main problem has been erradicated for 2018. The reason they made a loss is because of the engine putting them last nothing to do with Alonso who’s salary you don’t even know.

McMika98
McMika98

I agree he is the only attraction in that organisation and they are paying a fair share to keep him. They made a loss because they didnt get enough sponsors on board. What has changed this year to say they will make a profit? This year will define future of Mclaren in f1. Of all teams Mclaren were the first to complain of prize money this year lets u know its getting tight.

alexx_88
alexx_88

McLaren might have missed one internal schedule step (how can we tell if the same thing doesn't happen to other teams as well?), but Honda missed the mark entirely. Frankly, I found it really bold on their part to take the decision to look elsewhere as well after the first test.

There seemed to be a huge breakdown in communications between Honda and Mclaren engineers, judging by the film alone. Embarrassing, really, it seemed like the two engineering teams didn't have any common language and, when the McLaren guy was explaining to the Honda engineer what they're about to do with the pins, it was like explaining directions to a tourist. Again, it's not Honda's obligation to teach everyone English, nor the other way around, but I expected a solution to be found 3 years in

RedNEO

McMika98 wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 11:41
I agree he is the only attraction in that organisation and they are paying a fair share to keep him. They made a loss because they didnt get enough sponsors on board. What has changed this year to say they will make a profit? This year will define future of Mclaren in f1. Of all teams Mclaren were the first to complain of prize money this year lets u know its getting tight.
The engine to answer your question simply.
You might as well stop speculating about his salary since you don’t have any information about what it is at all.

techman
techman

LOl at EB scared alonso will leave. the reality is no one in F1 except mclaren wants this overated high paid alonso. its either mclaren or out. the more he stays they the more he will eat their money . if this season they cant compete with redbull. heads will be on the chopping block i believe,

GoranF1
GoranF1

2 things confuse me in this documentary.

1. A few years ago Pedro De La Rosa said that Ferrari's simulator is no match for Mclaren's both in terms of software or hardware(at the time we already saw the pictures and videos of the Ferrari "spyder" style sim whit it's own building), and yet now we saw Mclaren simulator looks quite simplier to that?

2. EB said a month ago that the "merge" of the new Renault PU and chassis went smooth, and we saw in this that the actual merge actualy happens 2 or 3 days before the launch of the car, so that's a bit confusing to me?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

bauc

Any one knows where I can watch it (Other than Amazon) ???

EDIT, FOUND them on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SvTAPTYi9E
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg